ToastedFlower*

Nov 15, 2014
Florida
To Chicago

Malkin
Rust

To Pittsburgh

Kane

I putted Rust to the deal to even out the trade and cap wise as well. I would say Kane has more value right now, but Rust would even it out.

I know this trade would never happen, but think about it as a value standpoint.

Chicago runs with this. Pens decline.

No way Pens trade malkin away without a good centre coming back.... so just end the thread as no good can come of this

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Oh, you want to play that game?

Malkin scores 38 goals and 97 points per 82 games while Toews averages 32 goals and 72 points per 82 games. That's a 25 point difference per 82 games.

Also, Malkin has much better playoff numbers than Toews (1.04 vs .87 ppg).

Malkin is 14th ALL TIME in ppg, Toews is 130th. Give me a break.

Oh but points don't matter, I forgot.

This is so funny to even discuss, Malkin blows Toews out of the water when it comes to who is better, ainec. No reason to even discuss this, though the above puts it to rest.
Quoted for emphasis. Malkin's defensive game is solid enough that there is simply no arguing that Toews is a better player. He just isn't on Malkin's level, and the fact that he gets paid 10+ a year makes Malkin all the more valuable.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Chicago runs with this. Pens decline.

No way Pens trade malkin away without a good centre coming back.... so just end the thread as no good can come of this

lol what. Chicago trades the Art Ross winner who is younger and on top of the league yet they run with it?

Chris99

Jul 5, 2016
Quoted for emphasis. Malkin's defensive game is solid enough that there is simply no arguing that Toews is a better player. He just isn't on Malkin's level, and the fact that he gets paid 10+ a year makes Malkin all the more valuable.

Career face off winning %:
Toews - 57.1
Malkin - 40.2

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Toews - 57.1
Malkin - 40.2

Yes of course.

Because the defining statistic in determining who is a better player is FO%

Toews has had one PPG season, and it was the lockout year where like 30 players had PPG seasons.

Toews is a low end 1C with elite defensive abilities and "intangibles" that make people overrate the **** out of him.

Malkin is the single most talented offensive player to play since Mario Lemieux. He is defensively solid and makes 9.5m. Yes he is injury prone and is 30 y/o but his trade value is in a different atmospheric layer than Toews.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
People must have really short memories here. Kane has had 1 good season, and now he has a couple of more art ross in him? I probably would bet on him never winning another than even winning just 1 more.

I dont think Kane will ever get 100 points again and this season will go down as a fluke.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I would take Malkin for Toews anytime anywhere, only down side with Malkin is his injuries otherwise this should not be talked about.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Toews - 57.1
Malkin - 40.2

Haha. This proves my point. There just isn't a good argument to support that Toews is anywhere near as good as Malkin. You keep your face-off winning center, I'll keep one of the all-time great point producers.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Both players have too much social capital and emotional investment by the fans to be traded.

Toews is more complete and a better leader, Malkin is better offensively and has more talent.

I think both teams could win in this trade but the loss aversion Will make it so it never happens

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Someone posted Toews + Panarin for Malkin + Pouliot, it is not fair value. Hypothetically, Malkin + Määttä for Toews + Hjalmarsson is more likely to happen.

But neither does this and I wouldn't either. Just trying to get the right value.

Why?
Malkin>Toews
Maatta>Hjalmarsson

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Why?
Malkin>Toews
Maatta>Hjalmarsson

I think Malkin and Toews are pretty even and Hjalmarsson > Määttä, but for cap and future perspective, Määttä has more value. Still, there are many other reasons why I wouldn't do it. HFBoards will never get it, but sometimes the best players are not as valued as players who have done something for your team already. I think Malkin vs Toews debate works with it, both sides.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Couple things.....
Toews>Malkin It's close, but unless it's for fantasy hockey, I'm taking Toews every time. Neither is a generational player.

The term "generational player" has slowly lost its real meaning to a lot of people. Now it's just a term some incorrectly use to define a great player. A "generation" is defined by a time period over roughly 20-30 years. So really there should only be maybe 5 on the list. Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux.
In hockey, the generational length is probably closer to a decade ( if not less) since NHL athletes tend to have a 12-15 year career.

I'd argue that Crosby is the only generational NHLer while McDavid looks like to be his replacement.

Malkin is more in line of Ovechkin, Tavares and Stamkos while Toews is noticeably lesser.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
In hockey, the generational length is probably closer to a decade ( if not less) since NHL athletes tend to have a 12-15 year career.

I'd argue that Crosby is the only generational NHLer while McDavid looks like to be his replacement.

Malkin is more in line of Ovechkin, Tavares and Stamkos while Toews is noticeably lesser.

This right here. Yzerman isnt a generational player, hes just an excellent center who was one of the most succesful from the late 80's to the mid 2000's. Toews would be more in that light, though he doesnt produce as much offensively as a playmaker.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'd take Toews and probably 10 or more other players before considering Malkin.

That still makes him a stud, top 15 in NHL is not an insult but he isn't generational.

So what you're telling us is that you are really good at evaluating NHL talent and we all should listen to your opinion.

Chris99

Jul 5, 2016
Haha. This proves my point. There just isn't a good argument to support that Toews is anywhere near as good as Malkin. You keep your face-off winning center, I'll keep one of the all-time great point producers.

I prefer the player who is going to help me win now, and in the future. There is so much more to being a great hockey player than point totals. Hockey is played at both ends of the ice and There are very few who play better in their own end as Toews. At best Malkin is an average, but realistically a below average defensive player.

As many have mentioned in this thread, a center is more valuable than a winger, and a big part of being a successful center is face offs. Toews again is one of the best in the league. Malkin has the 3rd worst face off win percentage since 1997. Maybe you don't find that to be important, but i would argue puck possession is relatively important.

While there is no real way to measure intangibles such as leadership, I don't think many would argue Malkin being in Toews class. It's tough to truly measure how important that stuff really is, but it is certainly a factor worth mentioning.

So that leaves points. Yes, Malkin has been the better point producer, but has it been enough, especially recently, to make up for everything else? Here are their point totals over the last 4 seasons.

Malkin - 233
Toews - 240

Yes, Toews has played more games, but proving to be more durable seems to be pretty important as well. Who knows though, now that Malkin is 30, maybe his best years are in front of him. I'm guessing his days of getting 100 points, or even 80-90 are over though.

Last edited:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
This right here. Yzerman isnt a generational player, hes just an excellent center who was one of the most succesful from the late 80's to the mid 2000's. Toews would be more in that light, though he doesnt produce as much offensively as a playmaker.
I think he's like Yzerman as far as his defensive prowess and his leadership, although Yzerman had the highest scoring season of anyone not named Gretzky or Lemieux.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
lol at the pens "malkin is better than toews ainec" guys
yeah, malkin is sooooo much better that the main time they matched up head to head in the 2010 olympics, toews humiliated him

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Doesn't matter, you're still forgetting the major point of centers being much more valuable than wingers. 1C's do not get traded for 1W's. Look at what Taylor Hall just returned. Look at RyJo returned.

Centers >>> Wings. Penguins will keep Malkin. Chicago can keep Kane.

YOU are the one who made the outlandish statement that Kane only had one good season. You are so so wrong and you're creditably must be called into question here.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Kane has an absurd amount of offensive zone starts over the last few years, which he won't have Toews and Kruger giving him in Pittsburgh. He doesn't put up 100 points unless he turns Kunitz or Rust into 40 goal scorers.

I don't think Crosby and Malkin get appreciated enough for what they do, they have little offensive help but are still #1 and #2 in career ppg among active players.

Chris99

Jul 5, 2016
Kane has an absurd amount of offensive zone starts over the last few years, which he won't have Toews and Kruger giving him in Pittsburgh. He doesn't put up 100 points unless he turns Kunitz or Rust into 40 goal scorers.

Why would they need to score 40? Panarin and Anisimov combined to score 50 last season. Can't imagine playing on the top PP with Crosby would hurt his point total either. I have little doubt Kane would out score Malkin if they switched teams....even if Malkin played all 82 games.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To Chicago

Malkin
Rust

To Pittsburgh

Kane

I putted Rust to the deal to even out the trade and cap wise as well. I would say Kane has more value right now, but Rust would even it out.

I know this trade would never happen, but think about it as a value standpoint.

**** NO, I don't want that pos Kane in a Penguins jersey ever. No thanks, Chicago can keep that guy, even if Malkin blows a knee cap and the Hawks still want him and offer Kane, I'd rather keep Malkin.

This is an absolute non-starter. NO.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Malkin was worse than Rick Nash in the playoffs this season. I mean since HF judges Nash on playoff performance alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad