Proposal: Chi - Pit (Blockbuster)

Chris99

Jul 5, 2016
Couple things.....
Toews>Malkin It's close, but unless it's for fantasy hockey, I'm taking Toews every time. Neither is a generational player.

The term "generational player" has slowly lost its real meaning to a lot of people. Now it's just a term some incorrectly use to define a great player. A "generation" is defined by a time period over roughly 20-30 years. So really there should only be maybe 5 on the list. Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux.

Chris99

Jul 5, 2016
Indeed. It's kinda like when someone says "I'm really smart...but I'm a bad test taker". You mean you struggle where we try to find out what you know?

It's actually not like that. There are a lot if things a player can do that doesn't show up on the scoresheet to help his team win.

Also, if youre going to quote a Daniel Tosh joke, you should at least credit him.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Awful trade for Chicago. Stan slams the phone down so hard it breaks his desk

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kane will go down as a generational winger. He's got a couple more Art Ross/Harts in him and a cup or two.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I know they would decline, I just wondering for value wise, is it even or close or no where near.

It's hard to address the value for several different reasons.

1) Position. Centers are worth more.
2) Cap hits. While only a million off, 9.5m for a center is easier to stomach then 10.5 for a winger.
3) Player health. Malkin hasn't exactly been the image of "iron man" over the last few years.
4) Player's age (just over 2 years separates them)

Then there's the fact of how these teams are built. Neither is really positioned to trade a C for a W. CHI would handle it easier then PIT would. For PIT moving Malkin and not getting a center back is a nonstarter.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I'm a Pitt fan but I would love to see Kane and Malkin play together, even if it's on Chicago. Toews+Panarin for Malkin+Pouliot would be my ask just so the sport of hockey could witness greatness

go away... I wouldn't touch that Toews contract with a ten foot pole...

PensBeerGeek

May 1, 2007
Washington, PA
Well I didn't say "intangibles" but clearly there are Many factors that produce wins that don't all show up on the scoreboard but are influential in the results.

Toews > Malkin

Ask any GM who they would prefer given the choice and my money is on JT and it wouldn't be close.

I'm sure Chiarelli and Bergevin would.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
Chicago says hell no. Pittsburgh probably should say yes.

I don't think Malkin's quite redundant on the Penguins but now that HBK is their de facto second line, it's difficult to see how they'll find him a role that allows him to earn his not inconsiderable keep. Going forward, Pittsburgh would probably get more mileage out of a cheaper 3C and a legit top-line LW. But that's a discussion for another thread.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Kane will go down as a generational winger. He's got a couple more Art Ross/Harts in him and a cup or two.

No, Kane has only had one good season. :laugh:

Indeed. It's kinda like when someone says "I'm really smart...but I'm a bad test taker". You mean you struggle where we try to find out what you know?

"I'm a really good player getting paid $10.5mil a year...but I'm just bad at putting the puck in the net and helping others put the puck in the net."

So someone who averages almost 32 goals per 82 games is bad at putting the puck in the net now? Logic... you should try using it in a post in this thread at some point...

Last edited:

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Chicago says hell no. Pittsburgh probably should say yes.

I don't think Malkin's quite redundant on the Penguins but now that HBK is their de facto second line, it's difficult to see how they'll find him a role that allows him to earn his not inconsiderable keep. Going forward, Pittsburgh would probably get more mileage out of a cheaper 3C and a legit top-line LW. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Pittsburgh say hell no as well. There's a good chance the HBK line is only going to be around for one more year, Bonino's a free agent next year and if he produces like he did during the playoffs he's going to get paid big time. And if it came down to it Pittburghs not keeping Bonino over Malkin :laugh:

Strayer002

Jul 6, 2016
Malkin is the best player in this deal. Everyone is saying Chi would decline but I doubt that highly.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Malkin is the best player in this deal.

True.

Everyone is saying Chi would decline but I doubt that highly.

CHI would probably decline because there are other considerations. And players age, health and contract may not even be the most important ones. Kane has worked for Chicago, Malkin has not. Maybe Malkin would work even better (who knows?), but no one sane is going to risk that with a possibility he wouldn't. Not unless there are some external reasons.

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013
No, Kane has only had one good season. :laugh:

So someone who averages almost 32 goals per 82 games is bad at putting the puck in the net now? Logic... you should try using it in a post in this thread at some point...

Oh, you want to play that game?

Malkin scores 38 goals and 97 points per 82 games while Toews averages 32 goals and 72 points per 82 games. That's a 25 point difference per 82 games.

Also, Malkin has much better playoff numbers than Toews (1.04 vs .87 ppg).

Malkin is 14th ALL TIME in ppg, Toews is 130th. Give me a break.

Oh but points don't matter, I forgot.

This is so funny to even discuss, Malkin blows Toews out of the water when it comes to who is better, ainec. No reason to even discuss this, though the above puts it to rest.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Malkin may very well be a better hockey player than Toews. However, I strongly suspect that the Hawks would be a lesser team if they had Malkin instead of Toews. Some things like leadership and chemistry can't be measured by numbers.

ndolla

Dec 23, 2013
Lol what game am I playing? Where did I compare Malkin to Toews? You literally made this post for no reason. Was just pointing out the poster I quoted was making another dumb point. Settle down there.

So you think Malkin is better than Toews then, right?

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
So you think Malkin is better than Toews then, right?

Offensively, yes. That's not even a question. I'm confused on why you're trying so hard to make your point for something that I never even attempted to argue against. But keep arguing with yourself if you must.

Brent Burns Beard