Confirmed Trade: [CHI/BOS] Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno (UFA rights) for Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Maybe bandits is the wrong word, just that I think they will be able to flip him for a high pick, likely a 1st. He was hurt during the season, and had a good playoffs. They'll be retaining on that contract when they trade him anyways at one of the next TDL's.
A first this I gotta see. Scotch and eggs is a terrible combination for breakfast my friend.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Mind still blown hall went for nothing, better deal than any team will find on the UFA market, and would take hall at his contract over debrincat on an 8x8 anyday
I am in agreement with you, never been a fan of Sweeney , to be honest I have always been his biggest critic , but to be fair I thought last year he did a solid job , but after this deal I am back on as one of his harshest critics . How in the hell do you get NOTHING ! for Hall..................

Reactions: Ulysses31

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I am in agreement with you, never been a fan of Sweeney , to be honest I have always been his biggest critic , but to be fair I thought last year he did a solid job , but after this deal I am back on as one of his harshest critics . How in the hell do you get NOTHING ! for Hall..................
Cap space is gold…

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Hall gets way to much abuse.

to me he looked more like a responsible two way player and very good at controling the puck.

i was expecting (having not followed him) a more 'flashy' offensive type of player who took to many risks/made two many plays and lost the puck more often than not type of player.

His play in his own end, at least to me, was a very pleasant surprise.

maybe because no one else really wanted him without Boston retaining or taking cap back, which is what they couldn't do.

i admit; I would have preferred a second round pick or something instead, but the Hawks aren't giving that up.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I know that had to move salary, but this still seems like a pretty poor return. I'm really not Hall's biggest fan but you'd think a team closer to contending would be willing to offer more, even with the salary constraints.

I would have thought Calgary would have been all over this. Would be a total Calgary move.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Cap space is gold…
If Cap space is gold, stop giving out unnecessary contracts. Some stupid ones include signing Reilly, Forbort, Grzelcyk, and Foligno all in the 3 million plus range. All those high priced contracts makes it difficult to move players because nobody wants them. Taylor Hall at 6 million got really nothing in return. Two RFA's. One with limited talent who is 5'11 and the other bigger but likely an AHL player. The Bruins could not even pry a single draft pick from Chicago who has 29 draft picks over the next three years. But at the trade deadline, Sweeney was giving them out like candy. There is nothing much on the farm team and there needs to be some efforts to recoup draft picks. Hard to find talent when you don't pick in the NHL draft until the third round this year and the fourth round next year. Not getting some draft picks is a mistake. Interesting times ahead. That is for sure.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So Hall is 6 mill a year and 2 years left.

Konecny is 5.5 mill a year and 2 years left.
Hall with 97 points in last two years.

Konecny with 113 points in last two years

Different ages and TK is in his prime. Curious what he lands after Hall was free?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Depends if hall stuck at 36 points .
So you're gonna go by an injury plagued season where he only played 61 games, and ignore his entire career, and ignore the 5 goals 8 points in 7 games that he put up in the playoffs when it matters most, in what was a supposed down season? So I'll ask again what does he return at the TDL with retention?

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
So you're gonna go by an injury plagued season where he only played 61 games, and ignore his entire career, and ignore the 5 goals 8 points in 7 games that he put up in the playoffs when it matters most, in what was a supposed down season? So I'll ask again what does he return at the TDL with retention?
If you see his last few years all you see is injury and low production. Hes on the decline and may get worse. At this pace your lucky to get anything with cap retention. Reminds me of the johannsen trade that just happened with preds and Colorado. Aleg G return?

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
Well look at it as the Bruins never gave up much to get him from Buffalo. Plus if they sigh Bertuzzi then its great for Boston.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Would have been nice to get more for Hall, but Sweeney has a track record of getting good value back. I'm confident that was the best we could do, and this should mean we get to sign Bertuzzi. If we didn't make this move, we would likely lose Bertuzzi on the first day of free agency. I'm okay with the move.

Hall is a very good player when healthy. He does better when he's not "the guy." Given Chicago's place on the development curve, it's likely that nobody's going to be "the guy," for some time. Great move for the Blackhawks.

Foligno had a good year and he's a great leader. He can play third line minutes, but he'll do whatever you need him to do.

I wish both players all the best, and I'm hoping we sign Bertuzzi with the cap space.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
If you see his last few years all you see is injury and low production. Hes on the decline and may get worse. At this pace your lucky to get anything with cap retention. Reminds me of the johannsen trade that just happened with preds and Colorado. Aleg G return?
Not really a fair comparison though. Player values are lower heading into the draft and FA, when every team is trying to free up cap space. Compared to the TDL where 75% of the players cap has been spent and you have more buyers than sellers.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Any chance CHI just retains on Hall and sends him out for more assets/futures? 50% retention is $3m for the next 2 years. I'd imagine that would return quite a good package near the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00