Confirmed Trade: [CHI/ARI] Murphy and Dauphin for Hjalmarsson

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
CHI moves out the 2 better pieces today and saves nothing on he cap which they need to do . Bravo

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Sad to see the shot-blocking warrior go, but like your favourite pick-up truck with 250,000 miles on it, nothing lasts forever.

Welcome to the fresh blood!

He's 30. It's more like 90k miles.

Even if that truck is still in almost show room condition and zero mechanical problems?

Also, does it help your decision in keeping it til retirement if it's a rare special playoff terrain handling edition?

I'd rather the Rangers picked him up from PHX then the 7th overall without knowledge of a draft pick who's supposed to be better than Hjalmarsson. Fat chance really tho!

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Even if that truck is still in almost show room condition and zero mechanical problems?

Also, does it help your decision in keeping it til retirement if it's a rare special playoff terrain handling edition?

Lol, there's a knock in that engine you can hear from two towns over. Love Hammer, he laid it on the line for the Hawks every night and now it's time to start paying the price. I hope he does great and is happy and all. I like what we got back so it's all good. Don't say you weren't warned though. Our run was over if we kept this guy past the offseason.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

I'd rather the Rangers pick him up then the 7th overall without knowledge of a draft pick who's supposed to be better than Hjalmarsson. Fat chance really tho!

Well, that's the thing. Given the way that he plays, Hjalms has been extremely lucky to avoid serious injury over the last few seasons. Bowman likely betting that luck will run out soon.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I get what Bowman is trying to do, I think he executed it poorly though.

Dauphin and Murray... that's all he could come up with? The only reasoning I can think of is that he expects Hammer's play to decline this year and he wanted to ensure he was traded now, or the Chicago scouting staff really like Murphy.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Lol, there's a knock in that engine you can hear from two towns over. Love Hammer, he laid it on the line for the Hawks every night and now it's time to start paying the price. I hope he does great and is happy and all. I like what we got back so it's all good. Don't say you weren't warned though. Our run was over if we kept this guy past the offseason.

Why do you feel so? I probably watch just over half of the Hawks reg games and all playoffs. If I missed anything or you know if he's been nursing one, otherwise he's still the playoff protection a goalie needs in my eyes.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
This is the cost of paying two players 10+ a year.

It sucks for hawks fans but this is the salary cap era is most pro sports.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Why do you feel so? I probably watch just over half of the Hawks reg games and all playoffs. If I missed anything or you know if he's been nursing one, otherwise he's still the playoff protection a goalie needs in my eyes.

He was the same guy, just a step slower. I hated watching it happen. You could see he was just a little later getting to his spots. He's usually still make the play, but it was not as fluid as in the past. He had to have more tenacity and battle than in the past. He's still top flight but there is ZERO room to lose any more of his quickness. So this just happened, and if he can maintain his current level, you won't notice a big difference in the results. That's the thing with a decline, it happens in small increments. Now, does he plateau here and stay at this level for 3-5 more years or does he take a step down in a year or two? We could not risk finding out. Our team isn't good enough.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
haaaaa wow, Chicago. But they are soaked with voodoo magik so the cup is theres next year.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010

His play over the last couple years hasn't been what it used to be but the end of this past season and into the playoffs, which you mentioned you watched, were pretty damn bad. He had a lot of defensive miscues and blown coverages. It might not have been obvious since the team as a whole was horrible defensively but it was weird seeing those mistakes creep into his game considering how solid a defensive d-man he is.

The guy recently had a kid and is likely nursing some soreness being the shot blocking beast that he is, but there was/is definitely something off about him lately.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I get what Bowman is trying to do, I think he executed it poorly though.

Dauphin and Murray... that's all he could come up with? The only reasoning I can think of is that he expects Hammer's play to decline this year and he wanted to ensure he was traded now, or the Chicago scouting staff really like Murphy.

Hjalms had limited NTC -- could only be traded to 10 teams -- so Bowman's hands may have been tied a bit.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hjalms had limited NTC -- could only be traded to 10 teams -- so Bowman's hands may have been tied a bit.

I wonder if he eased up on that though, just seems a bit odd that Arizona wasn't on his list, unless he's just tired of playing in the playoffs each year :laugh:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I don't understand why either team does this tbh.

Dauphin is just a throw in. Why would you not upgrade Murphy for Hammer? Its a no brainer. It makes the team competitive. AZ cant afford to keep sucking. They have the high picks they needed. Its time to win now.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

You could see him slowing down in the 2nd half of last year. He didn't play well at all, IMO. Not like the Hammer we've been accustomed to seeing. Not close.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I wonder if he eased up on that though, just seems a bit odd that Arizona wasn't on his list, unless he's just tired of playing in the playoffs each year :laugh:

I actually wonder if he put them on there thinking they were a team that wouldn't be interested in trading for him. From a far (not paying attention I guess) I didn't think Arizona would be a team to trade a younger controlled piece for a older better vet.

Sometimes agents/players try to get a little to cute, wonder if that happened.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Chicago got blown away by Nashville, most of the team looked off.

Which I specifically acknowledged in my post. I said it's something that was creeping into his game before Nashville destroyed them, and that it just wasn't as noticeable during the playoffs because the whole team looked bad. Hjalmarsson is still a solid 2nd pairing on any team in the league and an easy 1st pairing in Arizona, but it doesn't change the fact he's starting to hit that downhill portion of his career.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad