Speculation: Chevy Job Security

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
I, like many of you, don't expect any significant additions over the summer. I do not, however, believe that this means the Jets will finish next season with a similar result to this one.
A few reasons that the Jets may contend for a WC spot (at least) next season:
1. Better goaltending.
2. The "develop" part of the D&D model got a real workout this year; many players and prospects visibly improved over the course of the season.
3. A better goalie. Gotta be, right?
4. Add Frenchy, Little, Myers and Enstrom to the group that performed well at the end of the year (I know, garbage time and all that, but still...)
5. Kyle Connor is going to score 75 goals (but not 76). Realistically, though, more speed and skill in the lineup is good.
6. Better goalkeeping. I believe it.
7. Minnesota is declining fast and Colorado still isn't good = more room for us?
8. Have I mentioned the 'tending?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Given your post history, we could win the cup in 7 and you would say that it took too many games.

If the Jets improve, we have the Moose. If they also improve, we'll always have the Bombers to kvetch about. :laugh:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'll say. That would be one playoff berth and zero playoff games won in seven seasons at the helm. No GM should be afforded that kind of job security, not even one that takes over an expansion team.

My guess: if they miss the playoffs next season, he'll be given a one year extension in the summer of 2017, just so he's not GMing in a lame duck, final year of contract situation. If it's clear they're going to be missing the playoffs again in 2017-18, he needs to be turfed.

This is exactly right imo. Anyone placing any value on Chipmans comments regarding Chevy's performance or job security are acting naive imo. What did you expect Mark to say? Of course he's going to continue to show public support.....until the day he's fired. I agree with Hanks comments above....chevy has 1-2 years to show real results.....not just intangibles.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
There's a lot of talking about performance based job security in this thread...and how Chevy seems to enjoy this without earning it.

Well, that's fine, but I don't really think that's true. The Jets lack of success thus far has probably been by design. The team came here with little in the way of a future, so to build a team that is going to be a successful team for years and years to come is going to take a significant amount of time. That's just the way it is.

Take the Red Wings for instance...before this Era of consistent playoff appearances and several cups came the Dead Wings Era where they only made the playoffs 8 times out of 25...which is terrible considering that only five teams were left out. However since then, they have HD something of a dynasty through good drafting (some luck), great development of those draft picks, free agency pick ups and good trades.

And it took six seasons for the expansion Predators to regularly make the playoffs.

These things take time.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
What do you expect Chipman to say about Chevy,

do you think he will say we are happy we made the playoffs in only one of five seasons?

do you want him to say a drop of close to 30 points this season from last is promising?

do you want him to say what everyone else thinks, Chevy has tied his career in Winnipeg to a lot of unproven picks which may or MAY NOT work out.

do you want him to say I'm happy with missing the playoffs for another couple seasons and one playoff appearance in seven or eight seasons is acceptable?

do you think he's happy Chevy has kept the worst starting net minder in the league the last five seasons without change?

do you think he's happy Chevy hired a .500 head coach who's lived up to that statistic?

- Yes, he clearly stated that regardless of missing the playoffs this season, Chipman feels clearer on the direction we are heading this season, more than last season when we made the playoffs. Chipman fully understands that making the playoffs means nothing if you are fodder in the first round, knowing that we are building something bigger than first round fodder, Chipman gets the bigger pic.

- Yes again. Chipman understands that inserting as many rookies into the lineup this season would not be seemless, and that we would defnintly take a step back in terms of points. Once again, Chipper is a smart hockey man that understands point totals are surface results that only tell part of the story. Our team last season was capable of more points, but did not have the possible ceiling that this years roster has.

- You are one of the few that think this way. All picks are unproven, which is why they are called prospects.

Chevy has tied his career to what exactly? Drafting players that are unproven at the NHL level? LOL! Every GM Has tied their careers to drafting unproven NHL players. Quite the rhetoric there, not even sure what you mean by it.

- Yes, he will be fine with that, as long as we continue to build with skill and talent. In a couple of years, after these kids grow a bit together, Chipper fully understands that short term pain will result in long term gain. He wants to win a cup, not win a couple of games in the first round.

- Absolutely, because he sees the amazing talent of goalies Chevy has amassed for this organization. Chipman sees what is coming down the pipe, rather than pretend it does not exist and somehow try to blame that on the GM.

Love that absurdity, Chevy has not addressed our goaltending, besides the simple fact that he has drafted 2 of the best goalie prospects in the league, but other than that, he has done absolutely nothing.

-Maybe listen to Chipman's interview on 1290, instead of posting these rhetorical questions. He loves Maurice, because Chipman is a smart man that understands good coaching, and what effective communication means to the position. He is also smart enough to know that Maurice's record had as much to do with the teams he had, than his skill as a coach.

Every thing you question, is clearly answered by Chipman in that interview, and absolutely contradicts your assertions that are baseless, and mostly incorrect.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This is exactly right imo. Anyone placing any value on Chipmans comments regarding Chevy's performance or job security are acting naive imo. What did you expect Mark to say? Of course he's going to continue to show public support.....until the day he's fired. I agree with Hanks comments above....chevy has 1-2 years to show real results.....not just intangibles.

Anyone who thinks Chipman wasn't sincere and expect a GM regime change in the next year or two will be quite disappointed IMO.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I just shake my head when I read stuff like this. I can't begin to put myself in the mindset where this makes sense.

If you truly in your heart believe this, you should be furious that Chevy hasn't stockpiled more picks from day one. Otherwise you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Period and end of story. Someone posted earlier in a different thread that the Jets have selected 7.6 times per year at the draft. Hardly the model of a team who supposedly had no future, according to you. What a comically bad take on our management.

Adaptability is also one of the marks of competent management. I would rather have a year like this if it pushes us in the right direction than end up being a Wild/Islanders team, which is what we'd be if we signed a bunch of journeymen vets and snuck into the playoffs year after year.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I think we can all agree that we never want to be where we were as an organization when we bought the Thrasher again. I don't think there's any way to ensure we're not in that position again except to rebuild the team from the ground up (prospect pool, AHL affiliate) the way we have been.

I think Chevy has done an excellent job of slowly turning this ship around. We may not be looking at better results when it comes to season records, but if you look at the team we're putting on the ice now vs 4-5 years ago, and at the foundation beneath it, it's pretty impressive what Chevy has done so far, and it's plainly obvious how we're set up to make some really big jumps. Probably not next year, but I think the following year and beyond we'll start to see some (pleasantly) surprising results.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Adaptability is also one of the marks of competent management. I would rather have a year like this if it pushes us in the right direction than end up being a Wild/Islanders team, which is what we'd be if we signed a bunch of journeymen vets and snuck into the playoffs year after year.

Except for the fact that the Islanders are good now and also built to be good for the future, pound for pound they have as good a prospect pool as the Jets in addition to arguably already having better NHL players than the Jets

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Except for the fact that the Islanders are good now and also built to be good for the future, pound for pound they have as good a prospect pool as the Jets in addition to arguably already having better NHL players than the Jets

Islanders haven't won a playoff series since 1993, so I wouldn't point to them as some beacon of success just yet.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I think we can all agree that we never want to be where we were as an organization when we bought the Thrasher again. I don't think there's any way to ensure we're not in that position again except to rebuild the team from the ground up (prospect pool, AHL affiliate) the way we have been.

I think Chevy has done an excellent job of slowly turning this ship around. We may not be looking at better results when it comes to season records, but if you look at the team we're putting on the ice now vs 4-5 years ago, and at the foundation beneath it, it's pretty impressive what Chevy has done so far, and it's plainly obvious how we're set up to make some really big jumps. Probably not next year, but I think the following year and beyond we'll start to see some (pleasantly) surprising results.

Good post!

Not sure the results will be surprising to many around here, that understand what we are building and have an ability to recognize the young skill we are accumulating, with the awareness that even the most skilled players take time to develop into NHL players.

I think most of the fan base is very insightful, and have the aptitude to see the difference in our young talent, on both the Moose and Jets, from today compared to what we inherited 5 seasons ago.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Islanders haven't won a playoff series since 1993, so I wouldn't point to them as some beacon of success just yet.

Neither have the Jets/Thrashers. That is not the discussion here though. You implied that Islanders are not built for success relative to the Jets, which is ridiculous to say since the Islanders are better now and have as good of a pool of futures.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
There's a lot of talking about performance based job security in this thread...and how Chevy seems to enjoy this without earning it.

Well, that's fine, but I don't really think that's true. The Jets lack of success thus far has probably been by design. The team came here with little in the way of a future, so to build a team that is going to be a successful team for years and years to come is going to take a significant amount of time. That's just the way it is.

Take the Red Wings for instance...before this Era of consistent playoff appearances and several cups came the Dead Wings Era where they only made the playoffs 8 times out of 25...which is terrible considering that only five teams were left out. However since then, they have HD something of a dynasty through good drafting (some luck), great development of those draft picks, free agency pick ups and good trades.

And it took six seasons for the expansion Predators to regularly make the playoffs.

These things take time.

I believe most Jets fans have accepted that becoming a SC contender is going to take time.

Confidence that the franchise on the right path to contention is a whole other story. When management has failed on many different occasions to make the team competitive in the present, it raises questions about the long term plan.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Anyone who thinks Chipman wasn't sincere and expect a GM regime change in the next year or two will be quite disappointed IMO.

Maybe, maybe not......only time will tell.

But Im sure you would agree an owner typically supports their GM publically until the GM is fired. Thus there is no logical point to put any weight on any public support he gives to his GM. I'll judge on actions, results, contract extension, etc.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Right. And we tried to sign Zach Parise and Paul Statsny to long term deals, which presumably would have been part of the plan if they agreed to sign.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
+ tried to trade for a quickly aging Spezza, but Spezza waived the trade with his NTC
+ tried to extend Ladd over Byfuglien at first

I'm not pro or anti Chevy. I also don't know how much job security he has, many thought Claude Noel did too.

What I do know is it's really hard for us to know the things that didn't happen because it's part of the plan versus what we've been stopped from doing out of sheer luck.... and from all my talks to those in management: it really is the moves you don't make that defines you and separates you from the pack.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Neither have the Jets/Thrashers. That is not the discussion here though. You implied that Islanders are not built for success relative to the Jets, which is ridiculous to say since the Islanders are better now and have as good of a pool of futures.

I implied that if the Islanders is the type of team we'd be satisfied with - occasional playoff appearances with no success to speak of, then I'd rather take one step back to take 2 steps forward ahead of them.

If the core was "right there", then these moves would've been good moves to make, right? Parise, Stastny, Spezza (I don't think Dallas regrets the Spezza trade one bit). You don't get these players, you go to the next plan - I'd rather miss out on those guys and then just put all the kids in then sign 2nd and 3rd line tweeners.

Just a philosophical difference I guess.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

I don't see many people disagreeing with the plan, most agree it's logical. IMO whe evaluating a person's performance you must look at how much time is required to achieve a goal before evaluating if a person did a good job or not even assuming he eventually achieved the goal.

As the saying goes even a blind squirrel finds a nut eventually.

I don't have an issue with the strategy, but I might have an issue with how long Chevy takes to achieve his goal (building a consistent playoff team).

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
+ tried to trade for a quickly aging Spezza, but Spezza waived the trade with his NTC
+ tried to extend Ladd over Byfuglien at first

I'm not pro or anti Chevy. I also don't know how much job security he has, many thought Claude Noel did too.

What I do know is it's really hard for us to know the things that didn't happen because it's part of the plan versus what we've been stopped from doing out of sheer luck.... and from all my talks to those in management: it really is the moves you don't make that defines you and separates you from the pack.

I thought Chevy tried to trade for Martin Erat but he wouldn't waive to come here in 2013-14 either (this was when Erat was disgruntled in Washington). Bullet dodged...

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I implied that if the Islanders is the type of team we'd be satisfied with - occasional playoff appearances with no success to speak of, then I'd rather take one step back to take 2 steps forward ahead of them.

If the core was "right there", then these moves would've been good moves to make, right? Parise, Stastny, Spezza (I don't think Dallas regrets the Spezza trade one bit). You don't get these players, you go to the next plan - I'd rather miss out on those guys and then just put all the kids in then sign 2nd and 3rd line tweeners.

Just a philosophical difference I guess.

The funny thing about the "1 step back to take two steps forward" philosophy is that its a meaningless platitude and we've invested a lot of time and energy into hoping the platitude becomes true. Nothing is gauranteed. We might be taking 5 steps back to take 0 steps forward. It might be 4 steps back to take 30 steps forward. Nobody knows.

The only thing that is certain at this point is that we've taken some steps back and it looks to be more than 1.

At least you are admitting that the plan seems to have shifted along the way. The Parise, Statsny, Spezza attempts demonstrate that the "we've stuck with our plan from day 1" talking point is complete nonsense. Interestingly, they were willing to shell out all kinds of dough to sign some vets but they never put an extra nickel into goaltending. Wonder if Parise/Statsny/Spezza would have mattered much.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The aging Jason Spezza? Isn't everyone aging? Isn't Spezza the guy who score 30 goals this year. If I am correct he would have led the Jets in goals this year. They also pretty much gave up nothing so far to get him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The aging Jason Spezza? Isn't everyone aging? Isn't Spezza the guy who score 30 goals this year. If I am correct he would have led the Jets in goals this year. They also pretty much gave up nothing so far to get him.

Sure but if memory serves me correctly we were interested and he wouldn't waive to come here.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Better situation would have been to start this youth movement when the team got here, and using this first few years for youth movement. Problem was that Atlanta had practically no quality youth to promote.

I personally wouldn't mind a line up with Armia, Petan, Copp, Connor, Morrissey and Hellebuyck all having consistent or even significant roles if it means we see less of Thorburn, Stuart, Pavelec and Peluso's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad