Speculation: Chevy Job Security

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
From the Chipman H&L interview

Chipman : "Kevin has performed in my opinion extraordinarily well"

Seemed to tell Hustler an extension was likely before the start of the 17/18 season

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Music to my ears. Just listened to the Chipman interview, and can relax knowing Chipman is 100% on board with the direction Chevy is executing.

In a couple of season [mod] the results will show that the process was, is and will work for this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Music to my ears. Just listened to the Chipman interview, and can relax knowing Chipman is 100% on board with the direction Chevy is executing.

In a couple of season [mod] the results will show that the process was, is and will work for this team.
I just hope we make the playoffs next year because even though the Jets went out 4 straight last season ,the playoffs were way more exciting than this year .:shakehead I just don't care at all ,lets get to the lottery already !!

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I don't think anyone, regardless of their opinion of Chevy, should be shocked. Chipman has, at least publicly, been very enthusiastic with most of Chevy's moves since he hired him.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Based on Maurice and Cheveldayoff's comments this week, it looks like we will be getting even younger next season.

I'm okay with missing the playoffs if we play our best players even if they are young and make mistakes.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's obviously not easy to build a young talented team in the NHL because everyone is trying to do the same thing. Given that we had nothing to speak of to bargain with, I think Chevy has done an excellent job at getting us to where we are now. We almost have too much depth now which provides some trade possibilities. Add to this a ton of cap space and a young talented team to watch grow and it's hard to say he hasn't done a great job.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If this team misses the playoffs next season and the season after that, I could see the fans really starting to call for heads to roll. Maurice would be the obvious one to lose his job first, buying Chevy more time, but no matter how much ownership and the GM are on the same page... ultimately it's the results that are going to decide someones job security.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Chevy's been awesome so this is great to hear. He should cut down on the loyalty re-signings though as in Thorburn, Stuart, etc.

But overall, Chevy's been money for the most part. That Kane trade was still a steal, and he got great value for Ladd, his handling of Schiefele's development was great, and his drafting has been really good. Glad to hear.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
If this team misses the playoffs next season and the season after that, I could see the fans really starting to call for heads to roll. Maurice would be the obvious one to lose his job first, buying Chevy more time, but no matter how much ownership and the GM are on the same page... ultimately it's the results that are going to decide someones job security.

But the results haven't mattered so far, except for Noel.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Chevy is in a good spot. He appears to have no pressure at all to deliver a successful team for a number of years, after already having 5 years at the helm. His peers must be quite envious. I mean, a decade or thereabouts to demonstrate success in pro sports - certainly not the norm.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

Agreed. They can miss the playoffs next year (and likely will, with getting even younger again), but another year after that will be too much. At some point you lose the veteran players you were originally building around and take giant steps backwards - i.e. once they lose Little and Enstrom, you'd better hope Scheifele and Morrissey are significantly better, otherwise you're just treading water. The real window is when the young guys first make an impact but before they completely push out the old guys. Time is always working against you when you have good players under contract and a 'draft and develop' mantra doesn't actually change that.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Didn't Chipman express admiration for the Predators model? How many GMs have they had? Joking aside, it seems clear that TNSE values continuity and is loyal to it's people.

I think in the bigger picture, it's fine the team stumbled this year. But we're expecting some progress next year and by the following year this team better be rounding into that perennial playoff team that was envisioned.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I'll say. That would be one playoff berth and zero playoff games won in seven seasons at the helm. No GM should be afforded that kind of job security, not even one that takes over an expansion team.

My guess: if they miss the playoffs next season, he'll be given a one year extension in the summer of 2017, just so he's not GMing in a lame duck, final year of contract situation. If it's clear they're going to be missing the playoffs again in 2017-18, he needs to be turfed.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Didn't Chipman express admiration for the Predators model? How many GMs have they had? Joking aside, it seems clear that TNSE values continuity and is loyal to it's people.

I think in the bigger picture, it's fine the team stumbled this year. But we're expecting some progress next year and by the following year this team better be rounding into that perennial playoff team that was envisioned.

In the recent interview he only talked about the blackhawks.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

Continuity is underrated. Even if they went out and got some hypothetical best GM, it's unrealistic to think he wouldn't try to put his stamp on the team and need some turnover, which again takes time. If you believe the team is close and has lots of good prospects, then you have to give Chevy a chance to add some final pieces and push that roster into the playoffs. Only once he failed that do you bring in a finisher (e.g. like Stan Bowman did in Chicago or Burke in Anaheim).

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What do you expect Chipman to say about Chevy,

do you think he will say we are happy we made the playoffs in only one of five seasons?

do you want him to say a drop of close to 30 points this season from last is promising?

do you want him to say what everyone else thinks, Chevy has tied his career in Winnipeg to a lot of unproven picks which may or MAY NOT work out.

do you want him to say I'm happy with missing the playoffs for another couple seasons and one playoff appearance in seven or eight seasons is acceptable?

do you think he's happy Chevy has kept the worst starting net minder in the league the last five seasons without change?

do you think he's happy Chevy hired a .500 head coach who's lived up to that statistic?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I would like to see the Jets make the PO's next year or at least challenge for a WC spot. However I expect the youth movement to continue and NOT to be accompanied by any offsetting moves that would improve our team short term. That is no UFA signing, no trade for established players.

So barring something unexpected, like winning the lottery we will probably finish about the same as this year, give or take a bit. The year after though, we will need to see significant improvement. We will be in year 2 of Buff's new contract. Scheif and Trouba will be in their primes. Morrissey, Ehlers and Connor will all be contributing as experienced NHL'rs. If it ain't working by then it isn't going to.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Right. The Nashville model is based primarily on organizational stability, which suggests that the GM is here for the long haul. Maurice too.

Aside from the peculiarity of choosing to model oneself after a team that hasn't won diddly, the philosophy of keeping the same personnel in charge forever only works if you've hired all the best people at the start. Even then, it would seem to breed complacency - which is why almost no public companies follow it.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

do you think he will say we are happy we made the playoffs in only one of five seasons?

do you want him to say a drop of close to 30 points this season from last is promising?

do you want him to say what everyone else thinks, Chevy has tied his career in Winnipeg to a lot of unproven picks which may or MAY NOT work out.

do you want him to say I'm happy with missing the playoffs for another couple seasons and one playoff appearance in seven or eight seasons is acceptable?

do you think he's happy Chevy has kept the worst starting net minder in the league the last five seasons without change?

do you think he's happy Chevy hired a .500 head coach who's lived up to that statistic?

21 pts, precisely. Why do you feel the need to exaggerate something like that?

Yes, Chevy has tied his career to a bunch of unproven players. That is exactly what it meant 5 years ago when he said we would be a D&D team.

As for the rest, no I wouldn't say I expect him to say he is happy. I would expect him to say he is satisfied that we are moving in the right direction. I would expect him to say that Chevy is doing exactly what was expected of him. The results of that remain to be seen.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Like it or not, Chevy is going to be here for a very long time. I think it's best if people just accept that now and move on. Like Poile in Nashville really. He's gonna be around for a long time.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
21 pts, precisely. Why do you feel the need to exaggerate something like that?

Yes, Chevy has tied his career to a bunch of unproven players. That is exactly what it meant 5 years ago when he said we would be a D&D team.

As for the rest, no I wouldn't say I expect him to say he is happy. I would expect him to say he is satisfied that we are moving in the right direction. I would expect him to say that Chevy is doing exactly what was expected of him. The results of that remain to be seen.

I'll re-post what I said two years from now when Chevy is on HC #3 and the team is still out of the playoffs!

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I'll re-post what I said two years from now when Chevy is on HC #3 and the team is still out of the playoffs!

Or we could just look back at what everyone was saying last year in the Thank You Chevy thread ? A lot of "told-you-so's" and "Mission Accomplished" nonsense in there. But now the timeline has moved again to 2018-19. Good stuff.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Or we could just look back at what everyone was saying last year in the Thank You Chevy thread ? A lot of "told-you-so's" and "Mission Accomplished" nonsense in there. But now the timeline has moved again to 2018-19. Good stuff.

Oh I'm pretty sure a bunch thought Chevy, Mo and Chipman would be sipping out of Lord Stanley's mug this year!:amazed:

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Given your post history, we could win the cup in 7 and you would say that it took too many games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I gave Chevy a "B" grade before last season (2014-15), and a "B" grade after they made the playoffs, and still give him a "B" grade. Vacillating up and down over year-by-year performances doesn't make much sense for evaluating an organizational development that takes several years to complete.

Frankly, despite the excitement of the playoffs last season I hoped and expected that the Jets would go with a youth movement this year and knew that would likely mean that they would take a step backward in the standings. I think it's actually a bonus that their step backward this season resulted in trading Ladd, and ending up with a top 6-7 draft pick and 3 picks in the top 36. In my view, that's better than being on the playoff bubble, re-signing Ladd and not accelerating the development of young players.

In many ways, I like where this franchise is now more than at the end of last season. I see much more potential for growth and sustained competitiveness.

I still give Chevy a "B".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->