Speculation: Chevy Job Security

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
It is utterly ridiculous to think there is even a remote chance that Chevy's job is in jeopardy. The guy is a good GM. Plain and simple.

He and his squad are good at scouting, I'll give him that.

He's terrible at actually managing the team though, you know, the thing that's in his title?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really do believe he is not our guy to take this team to success period.
Chevy's reluctance to make any significant moves is troubling unless Chipman is handcuffing him in some way.
I think we have hit a tipping point.
We have talent but it's isn't working as a cohesive unit so it needs to be changed.
Hoping it will change is a fools errand

I'm still open to the fact that Chevy can take this team to the next level, but bold moves will be needed at some point. But I think he is pretty secure for a season or 2 yet so let's hope he can pull them off.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
There's little question in my mind that the Jets have better players and depth than in year 1. They aren't a better team, though. Hockey's funny that way. Who thought that a team that dumped Pavs would have poorer goaltending, or a team that put Stuart in the press box would have worse defense, or a team that replaced Thorbs and Burmi and Ladd with Armia and Matthias and Laine would be worse at forward?

This year is vexing and confusing. Coaches didn't get more stupid in one season.

I think it's a perfect storm of bad goaltending, poor transition to a very different roster due to an inadequate training camp, and subpar performances by some key vets.

I'd mention injuries and schedule, and I do think they played a role. Right now, it's hard to peg what it will take for this team to gel. I don't have high hopes for this season unless they get stellar goaltending, but I still think this roster is much better than they've shown, and the coaches aren't as incompetent as they might seem.

I'll agree with you on all those things. This is not a crappy group, but a bunch of vets have played really crappy that's for sure.

And yes, the coaches aren't as incompetent as they appear to be right now, but let there be no doubt that they are indeed incompetent. I should clarify, one (Maurice) is definitely incompetent; the other two (Huddy & Flaherty) certainly must be given the results we have seen for a few years running.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
There's little question in my mind that the Jets have better players and depth than in year 1. They aren't a better team, though. Hockey's funny that way. Who thought that a team that dumped Pavs would have poorer goaltending, or a team that put Stuart in the press box would have worse defense, or a team that replaced Thorbs and Burmi and Ladd with Armia and Matthias and Laine would be worse at forward?

This year is vexing and confusing. Coaches didn't get more stupid in one season.

The reason why the current team looks so better on paper is because you aren't taking time or age into account. 23-25 year olds Little, Ladd, Wheeler, Enstrom, Buff were all excellent players coming into their primes. 19 year old Kane scored 30. 20 year old Bogosian was our future top pairing D. Is Morrissey really better than a veteran Hainsey? Nobody on earth would say Chiarot is better than Oduya. Antropov was miles better than Lowry imo. Is Mathias better than Wellwood? GST is not much worse than Tanev, Thorburn, Copp, Burmistrov.

Goaltending has improved in name only, much like the rest of the roster. Using shot metrics, the 2012/12/13 Jets were far better than the current group.

This team is way underperforming and goaltending has been atrocious. But maybe there's a reason why nobody else in the league runs with 2 young inexperienced goalies. In Hutch's case, his experience could be described as being terrible for the past 1.5 years going into this season.

I have no confidence that the management group who signed Jokinen, traded for Setogouchi, resigned Stu, Thorburn, kept Pavs for 5 years, and went out and signed Strait this past July 1 is now competent enough to make the moves necessary to fix our problems - namely goaltending, bottom 6 and bottom pairing D, problems which have plagued this team since day 1.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm still open to the fact that Chevy can take this team to the next level, but bold moves will be needed at some point. But I think he is pretty secure for a season or 2 yet so let's hope he can pull them off.

Well I do think Chevy will get one more.
I will still cheer but I'm not honestly hopeful
Cheers and good night !
We all want to win

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The reason why the current team looks so better on paper is because you aren't taking time or age into account. 23-25 year olds Little, Ladd, Wheeler, Enstrom, Buff were all excellent players coming into their primes. 19 year old Kane scored 30. 20 year old Bogosian was our future top pairing D. Is Morrissey really better than a veteran Hainsey? Nobody on earth would say Chiarot is better than Oduya. Antropov was miles better than Lowry imo. Is Mathias better than Wellwood? GST is not much worse than Tanev, Thorburn, Copp, Burmistrov.

Goaltending has improved in name only, much like the rest of the roster. Using shot metrics, the 2012/12/13 Jets were far better than the current group.

This team is way underperforming and goaltending has been atrocious. But maybe there's a reason why nobody else in the league runs with 2 young inexperienced goalies. In Hutch's case, his experience could be described as being terrible for the past 1.5 years going into this season.

I have no confidence that the management group who signed Jokinen, traded for Setogouchi, resigned Stu, Thorburn, kept Pavs for 5 years, and went out and signed Strait this past July 1 is now competent enough to make the moves necessary to fix our problems - namely goaltending, bottom 6 and bottom pairing D, problems which have plagued this team since day 1.

Wheeler, Little, Buff and Enstrom should not be past their prime.

You neglected to mention Ehlers, Scheifele, Laine, Perreault, Trouba, who I think are way better than any of the "non core" players.

I still think this roster has a lot of talent and depth, and should at least look better when they play.

Goaltending is a big issue, still. I thought Hellebuyck was likely to give them good enough goaltending. I still think he can, if Maurice doesn't mess him up.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice

This summer will be the time for Chevy to show his worth. :sarcasm:

6th year we've been saying that....

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Wheeler, Little, Buff and Enstrom should not be past their prime.

You neglected to mention Ehlers, Scheifele, Laine, Perreault, Trouba, who I think are way better than any of the "non core" players.

I still think this roster has a lot of talent and depth, and should at least look better when they play.

Goaltending is a big issue, still. I thought Hellebuyck was likely to give them good enough goaltending. I still think he can, if Maurice doesn't mess him up.

Yes, well my point wasn't that the 2011 Jets were better on paper than the 2017 Jets but rather that they weren't as bad on paper as they look now. 2011 Ladd was top 10 at his position and 2011 Enstrom was 40-50 point d-man and a possession monster.

Anytime you have 3-5 players in the top 30 in scoring and your team is 3rd last in the NHL, there is something horribly wrong. Goaltending, bottom 6 and 3rd pair are all still bad. Coaching is another.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

December 2014: The Winnipeg Jets are sitting in a playoff position and playing excellent hockey when disaster strikes. One by one, the team's leading defensemen start to go down with injuries. With the season on the line, International Man of Action Kevin Cheveldayoff leaps into action and acquires...Jay ****ing Harrison.

That might be all you need to know about this team's future.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't think today that Chevy's in danger of getting fired, but lets say hypothetically that with the recall of Pavelec...Pavelec goes on a streak winning most of the games , yet the Jets still miss the playoffs by a point or two. Could lead to some interesting conversations with ownership wonder what the season could have been if Pavelec had been the #1 goalie all season. Will definitely lead to some interesting conversations on the call in shows from the fans if this was to happen.

On the other hand, I wonder if when Chevy went to bury a $5 million goalie in the minors, he had Chipmans's blessing?

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
December 2014: The Winnipeg Jets are sitting in a playoff position and playing excellent hockey when disaster strikes. One by one, the team's leading defensemen start to go down with injuries. With the season on the line, International Man of Action Kevin Cheveldayoff leaps into action and acquires...Jay ****ing Harrison.

That might be all you need to know about this team's future.

That was actually a good move, we got into the playoffs by a hair and played our best hockey this franchise has seen.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I'd say everything is being looked at and he is reluctant to do too much because then it looks like you were all wrong with your strategy. If he fires Maurice this summer, then he's on his 3rd coach and that's his last coach.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
How on Earth can Chevy be considered a good GM? At best he's been mediocre.

He made a good trade with Buffalo and he's drafted well. That's about it really. And we got gifted Laine so Chevy gets zero credit for that.

Our team right now is playing terrible. And being young is no longer an excuse. The Leafs have way more rookies than us and are in a playoff spot right now. And who are our young players even? Ehlers, Laine (before injury), and Morrissey have been great this year. Pretty much everyone else is has at least a full season or two behind them.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
That was actually a good move, we got into the playoffs by a hair and played our best hockey this franchise has seen.

We got into the playoffs in spite of Harrison. The dude was a slower Adam Pardy but without the dangles and more prone to gaffes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->