Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Finn was talked up a ton by Leafs fans because he scored a lot in the OHL, thus over hyped. IIRC, he was a poor skater though which really limited him beyond the OHL.

I always wondered what the issue with him was. The hype was real. :amazed:

Has anybody seen him since? Skating is something that can be improved, yet with our wealth of talent on the back end, this would look to be purely an AHL signing.

Plus here's a guy who's seen an increase in his ECHL games each year. Telling IMO.

Reactions: Lempo

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Any time I see leafs fans overhyping their defensive prospects I love to bring up Finnand Percy. Remember Percy had that one big preseason and they were all penciling him into the top 4?

Reactions: Lempo

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Any time I see leafs fans overhyping their defensive prospects I love to bring up Finnand Percy. Remember Percy had that one big preseason and they were all penciling him into the top 4?

For a while there, before the new management came into play, guys like Finn, Percy, Granberg, Blacker, etc..were overly hyped by the Leafs fans.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Seen plenty of Finn, Percy, and Blacker penciled into top-4 spots for years.

Recently it has been "I wouldn't trade (insert high-end forward/prospect) for (insert blue-chip D) because Dermott/Nielsen are looking just as good as (blue-chip D)."

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The Checkers just signed ANOTHER defenseman to an AHL contract.

They have so many guys now... By my count potentially 12 different dmen that could play for them (note: not all are AHL quality).

I'm pretty sure Carrick is waiver eligible? I'm guessing he'd pass through though so I'll go with that here.

Assuming Fleury makes the team, which isn't a given, but if he doesn't another AHL guy will and assuming Dhalbeck is #7 so that's where 1 of them goes.

Chelios, Carrick, McKeown, Samuelsson and Robertson are all either locks or very likely to be full time AHL so that's 5 more.

That leaves 1-2 spots for these 6: Wesley, Kanzig, Finn, Didier, Kichton, and Ganly so I assume most of those guys will be in Florida. From what I can tell, the Everblades only have 1 defenseman listed on their roster for next season so it kinda all fits.

EDIT: It is interesting that the Checkers have Kuokkanen listed on their roster. I thought I heard that Papa Aho was demanding he come back to Finland next year?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
EDIT: It is interesting that the Checkers have Kuokkanen listed on their roster. I thought I heard that Papa Aho was demanding he come back to Finland next year?

Another year in juniors in NA being out of question is exactly what Aho Sr. was reported to have said in the Finnish press around the spring. Either Canes or Karpat Oulu, the man said.

July is the traditional vacation month in Finland, so if there has been recent developments in Karpat that would have altered the position of Kuokkanen in their plans should probably not be expected to come out to the public consumption.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Another year in juniors in NA being out of question is exactly what Aho Sr. was reported to have said in the Finnish press around the spring. Either Canes or Karpat Oulu, the man said.

July is the traditional vacation month in Finland, so if there has been recent developments in Karpat that would have altered the position of Kuokkanen in their plans should probably not be expected to come out to the public consumption.

Ah..thanks for the clarification.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Kuokkanen's ELC signing age is 19, so there's only one slide year possible (2017-18) in case he doesn't make it to the NHL roster for 9+ games. I would assume this means also that Karpat only get a say for this one season only, because it wouldn't make sense to the IIHF team controlling the player while his ELC burns. I'm almost certain it goes like this in the NHL/IIHF umbrella transfer agreement.

As Kuokkanen would be under Karpat's say for one season only and not a long-term peesh, there may be some room for negotiation to release him for NA anyway.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I thought Schilkey was an intriguing player during the prospect tournament. He becomes more intriguing after 3 goals & an assist. Doubt he's anything, but worth keeping an eye on in Charlotte. He was a very productive player in the college ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad