Checkers III: The Age of Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
All good points. I hope he takes it and we can ship Rod off to Charlotte.

My assumption (maybe incorrectly) is that guys that take AHL head coach jobs, at least early in their coaching careers, eventually want to be NHL head coaches. I just don't see "NHL Headcoach" in Brindy's future. Just by his interactions with the players, his personality and the way he carries himself, he seems much more like a career assistant to me than a head coach.

Admittedly, I could be way off here, but I've never viewed him as head coach material.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
My assumption (maybe incorrectly) is that guys that take AHL head coach jobs, at least early in their coaching careers, eventually want to be NHL head coaches. I just don't see "NHL Headcoach" in Brindy's future. Just by his interactions with the players, his personality and the way he carries himself, he seems much more like a career assistant to me than a head coach.

Admittedly, I could be way off here, but I've never viewed him as head coach material.

Personally, I believe that Roddy does have the chops to eventually be an NHL head coach. However, my sense is that he's enjoying his life as it is right now and might just be vacillating back and forth about his desire give that life up right now.

My son worked at a golf course last summer, one that Roddy seemed to play quite a bit (not sure if he was a member or what) and they talked a great deal about the Hurricanes. One thing that seemed to come across to him was that Brindy really, really like where he was at now. Just a 20 year old's impression, but info nonetheless.

Also, I had thought I'd read that Ulf had head coaching experience prior to the Checkers. When I checked I found out that he was the bench boss for Modo in the Swedish league. While it probably doesn't count quite as much as coaching a North American team, he did coach men for a couple of years.

Reactions: Lempo

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Rod seems really rah rah and work ethic based more than an eventual HC.

He seems like a good forwards coach, working with guys individually to work on their games (faceoffs, defensive tactics/technique, etc), but I don't get the feeling that he understands the X's and O's well enough to implement a system.

In fact, I started to get the feeling by the end of last year that he might be on the way out. I don't exactly remember why, maybe because of the PP, but I started getting the feelings Peters wasn't thrilled with him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

He seems like a good forwards coach, working with guys individually to work on their games (faceoffs, defensive tactics/technique, etc), but I don't get the feeling that he understands the X's and O's well enough to implement a system.

That's exactly how I see it.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

In fact, I started to get the feeling by the end of last year that he might be on the way out. I don't exactly remember why, maybe because of the PP, but I started getting the feelings Peters wasn't thrilled with him.

Completely agree. My comment about shipping him off to Charlotte was moreso to get him out from behind the Canes bench than any type of career progression. I love the guy, obviously, but not as a coach (other than S&C).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
My comment about shipping him off to Charlotte was moreso to get him out from behind the Canes bench than any type of career progression. I love the guy, obviously, but not as a coach (other than S&C).

ah..now I understand where you were coming from.

Would have to think that if Rod doesn't want to become a head coach down the road, he won't go to Charlotte. Probably the Canes will make up another position for him like they did with Wesley, Stillman, Whitney, Samsonov, Pitkanen, etc...so he can stay local. :laugh:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
ah..now I understand where you were coming from.

Would have to think that if Rod doesn't want to become a head coach down the road, he won't go to Charlotte. Probably the Canes will make up another position for him like they did with Wesley, Stillman, Whitney, Samsonov, Pitkanen, etc...so he can stay local. :laugh:

Isn't he the one selling his house in Raleigh?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

My point was that he was happy doing what he was doing. Frankly Ron Francis' comments about evaluating the assistant coaches was "curious". If I recall correctly, he didn't need a bunch of time to axe Muller.

Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh damnit, I liked Age of Ulf:

44. Barks Garmr load
before Gnípahelli;
the leash may break,
and Freki then runs.
Much she knows,
forth I see longer,
about Ragnarok
the mighty Sigtíva.

45. Brothers may fight
and fell each other,
may sisters' sons
kinship stain;
hard is in the home,
*****dom severe;
axe-age, sword-age,
shields cloven,
wind-age, wolf-age,
ere the world falls;
no men will
each other spare.

It's a Poetry is Dead edition now. :shakehead

Reactions: sheriff bart

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"Age of Ulf*" is clearly the right answer.

628b747f8ccdfb757062f36a27eedecfc2295f515c0586e05fbfb0620c0571a2.jpg

Reactions: sheriff bart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad