Prospect Info: Charles Hudon Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
I mean he's done everything possible to warrant an extended look. He's also a good two-way player so maybe Claude will like him. Footspeed is a concern but he isn't atrocious in that regard, but it certainly separates him from Lehkonen (as an example).

Having Hemsky, Byron and Shaw around is blocking Hudon to become a third liner in a near future.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Having Hemsky, Byron and Shaw around is blocking Hudon to become a third liner in a near future.

Hemsky and Shaw will play on the right side, Hudon plays on the left.

So it's only Byron that blocks him really if Max and Alex are the #1 and #2 LW to start the season.

He could start on the 4th line and go from there like Danault did last year.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Could Hudon Replace Galchenyuk?

This is a big year for Hudon. He's a risk to put on waivers now, so he either makes the team or he doesn't, in my opinion. If he makes it, we have a log jam of wingers (unless he's added to C list). If he shines early, could he make Galchenyuk a nice trade chip for a C or a LD?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Im a big big hudon fan, his release is underrated. But he's usaly a pass first guy. We need galchenyuk alot more than you think. This team needs Chucky AND Hudon unleashing.

Hudon can play all 3 position but his better spot on the wing is clearly is LW, same with chucky but in my opinion hes much better offwing on the rw

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Not the same type of players so I don't think so and like HOPE said we need both on the team. He needs to find a place in the lineup first that's sure.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, if Galchenyuk is traded, it's presumably because he's playing wing, and we're presumably getting a Center in return. Galchenyuk would've to be replaced in the lineup, in Hudon appears to be in a good position to actually replace him. The other option would be Sherback, I guess.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting thread.

Hudon: I will tell you this... I am very curious to see Hudon given a shot in the top 9 and playing with other elite talent vs 4th line minutes and playing with grinders.

Galchenyuk: Personally, I am happy he is moved to wing. I won't be upset if we try him at center again down the road but I think we need his size and shot on the wing. He skating is average in the NHL so putting him at center is not using him to his strengths.

For me, Hudon's ceiling is less than what the potential Galchenyuk has. But if we trade Galchenyuk for a top 2 center, then I have no problem giving Hudon a shot in the top 6. For me, it's all about the sum of all parts.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I'd love for Hudon to come into the league as a 30 goal scorer. But if we're being realistic, I'd be very happy with a 20g 20a season from Hudon. That is significantly less than what I am expecting from Galchenyuk this season.

While I always hoped for him to be our #1C, it appears that pressure is now off his shoulder and he'll be free to be the goal scoring winger he is capable of being.

A power line of 67-92-27 has the potential to be very dangerous offensively. That would let Hudon, along with Lehkonen, Gallagher, and Danault, get some easier minutes versus bottom pairing defensemen. If that power lines succeeds, opposing coaches would need to build their game plan around shutting that line down, opening up some space for our lines 2 and 3 to shine.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Frankly I think Hudon and Galchenyuk may benefit from playing together. Galchenyuk is more of a finisher and scorer while Hudon is more of a passer and playmaker. Stick them with a defensive guy/gritty player who can go to the net and play hard like Shaw/Gallagher or Lekhonen and I think you have the recipe for a successful line.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I really hope Galchenyuk has a good season because the underrating of him is getting crazy in here. You'd think he was a 40 point forward who's numbers haven't gotten better in nearly each consecutive season.

No, Hudon will not push out Galchenyuk. Although I am a fan of Hudon and think he can contribute eventually in the top 6, he is not, and will not, be the same caliber as Galchenyuk.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I really hope Galchenyuk has a good season because the underrating of him is getting crazy in here. You'd think he was a 40 point forward who's numbers haven't gotten better in nearly each consecutive season.

No, Hudon will not push out Galchenyuk. Although I am a fan of Hudon and think he can contribute eventually in the top 6, he is not, and will not, be the same caliber as Galchenyuk.

Hudon needs to outperform guys like Hemsky, McCarron, etc, he's not in the same ballpark as Galchenyuk. Hopefully this camp he opens the management's eyes.

Jul 6, 2016
Hemsky and Shaw will play on the right side, Hudon plays on the left.

So it's only Byron that blocks him really if Max and Alex are the #1 and #2 LW to start the season.

He could start on the 4th line and go from there like Danault did last year.

Shaw can also play on the left. With Galchy, Gally, Shaw and Hemsky on the right and Patches, Lehkonen, Byron on the left, only 4th line duties are possibilities for Hudon, and even then....

Depends what we get in return, gotta give it to get it. If its part of a package to get a young player like Trouba, etc.. may have to do it... right? Why not?

He is a RHD... We have Weber and Petry already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Shaw can also play on the left. With Galchy, Gally, Shaw and Hemsky on the right and Patches, Lehkonen, Byron on the left, only 4th line duties are possibilities for Hudon, and even then....

He is a RHD... We have Weber and Petry already.

Petry sucks, I would replace him in a heartbeat.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hudon has some solid skills but his skating has and continues to hold him back. Training camp will be interesting. Waivers or roster spot.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Petry sucks, I would replace him in a heartbeat.

Petry is pretty solid, he was among the best NHL defencemans last year +250 shot when's he's on the ice for his team witch was 1st on the team as well.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hudon has some solid skills but his skating has and continues to hold him back. Training camp will be interesting. Waivers or roster spot.

I have a hard time understanding this. Maybe you can help me. Admittedly, I haven't watched Hudon day in and day out or even enough to notice this. But he never looked like his skating was an issue. He was always productive and effective in the minors. And the 6 games he played in the NHL, he's produced playing a minimal role with very limited ice time. And he didn't look out of place.

It's not like Gallagher is a great skater, either.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Petry is pretty solid, he was among the best NHL defencemans last year +250 shot when's he's on the ice for his team witch was 1st on the team as well.

Thanks to show everyone that you know nothing about hockey.

I expect him to have a great season this year. 40 points! :)

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

He has to outplay them to earn a niche. I wouldn't mind trading Shaw but so far Byron has shown he deserves playing ahead of Hudon. I haven't formed an opinion of Hemsky.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

A healthy Hemsky is a playemaker who makes his linemates better. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a real asset. If he's not healthy, he won't be a factor in empeading Hudon's development, because he won't be in the lineup.

Byron adds speed to our forward corp. Not Hudon or almost anyone in the league can add that kind of speed.

Shaw is not a top 9 forward on this team. He's not in Hudon's way. In fact, as much as I don't like Shaw as a top 9 forward. He's pretty good for a 4th liner. I'd love to see him and Hudon play the wings on the 4th line. Shaw would wreck havoc going to the net and Hudon could use his skills. They'd put up points.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
The 3 years in the AHL is certainly not an handicap at this point in Hudon's career. That development path could make him jump right into a top9 impactful role, a bit like Lehkonen last season.

Heard good words from coach Julien and veteran Plekanec today and it's a good start so far for the kid.

Keep on Charly!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's making the team no doubt in my mind.

There's a spot on the left wing and I don't see who could beat him for that spot.

Jul 6, 2016
He's making the team no doubt in my mind.

There's a spot on the left wing and I don't see who could beat him for that spot.

If MB is willing to let CJ put Shaw permanently on a 4th line: yes

Martinsen or Mitchell might be cut then. Or McCarron sent back to AHL for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany