Prospect Info: Charles Hudon Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If this team knew anything about developing prospects (it doesn't), big mac should only see NHL ice if there's an injury or he goes 30-40 games at the AHL level around a PPG.

Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Galchenyuk-Lehkonen
Hudon-Plekanec-Byron
DLR-Mitchell-Shaw
Hemsky

Should be what we are icing. With Hemsky rotating in.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
If this team knew anything about developing prospects (it doesn't), big mac should only see NHL ice if there's an injury or he goes 30-40 games at the AHL level around a PPG.

Hudon-Plekanec-Byron
DLR-Mitchell-Shaw
Hemsky

Big Mac didn't post PPG stats in his final Junior year, won't hold my breath on that happenign at the AHL / NHL level.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
McCarron had 68 points in 56 games in his last junior season.

And even if he didn't. My point stands that unless he's consistently dominated the AHL for half a season, leave him down there.

He never should have been called up for the extended periods he has been. Same as DLR.

This organization gets a big player who's adequate in their own zone and they rush them to the NHL without any concern or care about developing skills that matter outside of their own blue line.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Hudon-Plekanec-Byron
DLR-Mitchell-Shaw
Hemsky

Starting the season with two fringe top-sixers on our top line yet again...

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
And even if he didn't. My point stands that unless he's consistently dominated the AHL for half a season, leave him down there.

He never should have been called up for the extended periods he has been. Same as DLR.

This organization gets a big player who's adequate in their own zone and they rush them to the NHL without any concern or care about developing skills that matter outside of their own blue line.

That I can agree with, it 's sad to see what happened to a very promising DLR, hopefully Big Mac can improve offensively. But IMO he needs to work on his conditionning and speed and it will improve his offense, he already has good vision and IQ all over the ice IMO.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It was more conditioning, resulting in a distinct lack of speed/intensity/consistency later in games.

they said straight out it was foot speed, that he was "ok" when he got to speed but it took him WAY too long to get there.

This was the according to lapointe. And his lack of speed meant that he was going to be playing an up and down role on the wing ( and he did).

I still see a hudon-mccarron-hemsky fourth line to not even be a jack of all trades line, they seem designed to do everything poorly. A small undersized winger, a somewhat green slowish behemoth and a guy on the downside of his career who might, might put up 25-30 points. If this is an exploitation line, who precisely are they exploiting ? they wont be playing against AHL talent.

I like mccarron AND i like hudon ( hemsky is meh for me). I think the former two can contribute, but I don't see how on the fourth line outside of " well lets just fill some spots, have a line blender and hope for the best".

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Hudon-Plekanec-Byron
DLR-Mitchell-Shaw
Hemsky

i don't see shaw on the 4th line ( even if he might do well there) and the third line would be pretty soft but have a lot of different attributes that might come together ok. Hudon has the hands, byron ( obviously) has the jets and Plekanec can play a 200 foot game, a pretty good playmaker and has the experience and can take draws.

this roster is not great but the roster is what it is and I'm not sure we can really expect a whole lot better.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Agreed this has been a big problem for a long time. We did it with Pacioretty as well and it nearly ruined his development.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
In what universe is a guy like Gallagher a fringe top six player? :help:

Well in an ideal universe you might not want Gallagher on your 1st line if your 2nd line is not capable of adequately insulating the 1st line from some tough minutes. That's just in the event Galch and Drouin don't take big steps forward this year.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Well in an ideal universe you might not want Gallagher on your 1st line if your 2nd line is not capable of adequately insulating the 1st line from some tough minutes. That's just in the event Galch and Drouin don't take big steps forward this year.

That doesn't change the fact that the poster implied that Gallagher was barely a second line forward which is absolutely false.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Hudon-Plekanec-Byron
DLR-Mitchell-Shaw
Hemsky

Dude that looks terrible.
Lipstick won't even help this Pig.

I still think Clod will use the Plek/Gallagher duo as our defacto number one 5v5 line.
We still lack a left winger cause Patch only had the one year where he tried to become a defensive force. If DLR was mean I'd use him because that line is destined to only score garbage goals anyways. :D

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's an average NHL skater in that he doesn't have the acceleration from a standstill to beat opponents, but he's not a laborious skater anything like Dwight King, for example.

I'm glad you mentioned that he has improved and become a defensively responsible forward. It used to be a knock against him (his D game) and, unfortunately, for some, they still believe it's a glaring weakness for Hudon. This is no longer the case, IMO.

I don't recall any knock on his defensive game unless you are talking about before we drafted him.

Can is not the same as does. Sure, hypothetically a small guy can have some grit but its not hudon. We are back in the same trap, calchenyuk can hypothetically play C, a team could hypothetically do OK without a #1 or a #2 C, a guy like danault could be slotted in as a #1 and do well.

If you look at Hudson's skill set, he's probably best in the 2nd or third line. Because we have a logjam of similar players to assume that he would succeed on the fourth, not because he has the attributes of a fourth liner, but because that's the only slot open means we get what we have gotten ( things like our biggest net presence is gallagher and the notion that we could somehow slot Drouin in as a center bevause we lack many).

If you want guys to contribute, determine what their skill sets are and where they are most likely to be able to leverage these skills to help the team. For hudon, that's NOT on the 4th line.

I do think Hudon has some grit to his game for sure and I also think he can play on the 4th line and do well depending on his linemates. If he's with Martinsen and McCarron then I don't expect him to produce that much.

as for smaller guys with grit, there's always guys like Bouillion, Tootoo, etc..

Where do you see Hudon fitting in the Habs roster this year? I do believe we might be surprised with his ability to create offense but who does he replace or win a job over?

It depends on if Hemsky is healthy and for how long that lasts. Or if any moves are made.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't recall any knock on his defensive game unless you are talking about before we drafted him.

Depends where you read. There's still a knock about that for him today. But people aren't all that informed to begin with.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
That doesn't change the fact that the poster implied that Gallagher was barely a second line forward which is absolutely false.
24G - 23A at 22 years old.
Pace of 29G and 62 points the following one.
He would be top-6 in any team.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Pushing hard for Hudon again this season! The kid trained like crazy all summer to get ready, he is anxious and excited about this crucial camp for him.

As Lapointe pointed out in a recent interview, constancy was his main issue and it seems he reached a new level in that department last season. He now has to translate that to the next level.

Really hope things turn well for him and that he can finally start scoring and preparing NHL goals with the Habs.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I mean he's done everything possible to warrant an extended look. He's also a good two-way player so maybe Claude will like him. Footspeed is a concern but he isn't atrocious in that regard, but it certainly separates him from Lehkonen (as an example).

Jul 6, 2016
Charles Hudon can be a Alex Tanguay 2.0?

Tanguay was an offensive force in the Q and a great skater. Wasn't picked in a 1st round for no reason.

Hudon doesn't have the speed nor the stick handling abilities of Tanguay. Was not drafted in a 5th round for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad