Post-Game Talk: Champitals @ Preds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He was regarded as a power forward coming into the draft and from what I've seen he sure knows a thing or two about using the body. Anyways, saying Caps definitely wouldnt have won with him and Wilson in the lineup is not a very smart thing to say. There's a good chance with the way he performs in the playoffs that FF would have been able to pick a corner once or twice in clutch momentsof those two Pens series that the Caps lost instead of ****ing around.

again....why are we simply plugging in Forsberg and removing Wilson? Just as an exercise in fantasy? Forsberg would have never played with a lot of these same Caps players....nor probably for Trotz, etc etc.

Is this just "I want to be right and FF is better than TW"?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Some people sure really like to downplay Forsberg's abilities to make themselves feel better about the team. Ofcourse, it would really hurt to have him and Wilson both at the same time in the lineup. Get real, it's embarassing.

No way. I love Forsberg. I told my friend the Caps stole this kid in the draft, I follow prospects really closely. I flipped the f*** out when he got traded and wrote a few nasty letters to Ted about Mcf***up and this trade.

That being said, in this wussy ass NHL we have now, a guy like Wilson, come playoff time is more valuable, especially when playing a team that has no one who can respond for the other team. I am taking nothing away from FF but every playoff team has one of him.

Lastly, why would anyone need to feel better about the Caps, they won the Cup last season?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
again....why are we simply plugging in Forsberg and removing Wilson? Just as an exercise in fantasy? Forsberg would have never played with a lot of these same Caps players....nor probably for Trotz, etc etc.

Is this just "I want to be right and FF is better than TW"?
Why is it a forgone conclusion for some that GMGM wouldn't have been fired if that trade doesnt happen and the Caps wouldn't have won with both Wilson and Forsberg? GMGM built a terrible team at that point that had 1 good line and 1 good D, he was on a hot seat regardless. You remember that 2015 series vs Rangers and 2016-2017 disappointment? All the Caps needed is one more goal. Can Forsberg deliver a goal in the playoffs? I guess he can. He wouldnt have played for Trotz? Umm I don't think so. Caps were lacking depth on the offense in 2015 until the signing of Williams and trade for Oshie. They needed the talent Forsberg possess. With how great he looked at WJC, I think they would've given a chance to him.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
No way. I love Forsberg. I told my friend the Caps stole this kid in the draft, I follow prospects really closely. I flipped the **** out when he got traded and wrote a few nasty letters to Ted about Mc****up and this trade.

That being said, in this wussy ass NHL we have now, a guy like Wilson, come playoff time is more valuable, especially when playing a team that has no one who can respond for the other team. I am taking nothing away from FF but every playoff team has one of him.

Lastly, why would anyone need to feel better about the Caps, they won the Cup last season?
I do wonder about this too. For some it's really hard to accept that with both of them in the lineup, Caps are a better team. They feel the need to argue that the team is definitely not the winner if FF was still on the Caps.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Why is it a forgone conclusion for some that GMGM wouldn't have been fired if that trade doesnt happen and the Caps wouldn't have won with both Wilson and Forsberg? GMGM built a terrible team at that point that had 1 good line and 1 good D, he was on a hot seat regardless. You remember that 2015 series vs Rangers and 2016-2017 disappointment? All the Caps needed is one more goal. Can Forsberg deliver a goal in the playoffs? I guess he can. He wouldnt have played for Trotz? Umm I don't think so. Caps were lacking depth on the offense in 2015 until the signing of Williams and trade for Oshie. They needed the talent Forsberg possess. With how great he looked at WJC, I think they would've given a chance to him.

I think you are missing my point. Caps still have FF, and don’t make that one trade, every single move afterwards is voided and an entirely new path needs to be chosen. I’m sure you’ve read some of the books/articles that discuss changing history and what one small change can mean for many subsequent changes. It’s not just a plug and play.

The Caps entire course of their history post “not making the FF trade” is changed. We have no idea by how much. Zero.

Re: Trotz — we have no idea of he’d have even been the coach. We literally have no clue how the rest of it would unfold. The only thing we do know is it would be different. Perhaps vastly.

I will take what we got. We know we won a Cup. That’s far better IMO to whatever other suppositions you want to throw out there. As @twabby pointed out the odds of winning the Cup are low. So from where I sit, the odds of the Caps history *being better* with no FF trade as the starting point are....slim.

Hope I’ve clarified myself here.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think you are missing my point. Caps still have FF, and don’t make that one trade, every single move afterwards is voided and an entirely new path needs to be chosen. I’m sure you’ve read some of the books/articles that discuss changing history and what one small change can mean for many subsequent changes. It’s not just a plug and play.

The Caps entire course of their history post “not making the FF trade” is changed. We have no idea by how much. Zero.

Re: Trotz — we have no idea of he’d have even been the coach. We literally have no clue how the rest of it would unfold. The only thing we do know is it would be different. Perhaps vastly.

I will take what we got. We know we won a Cup. That’s far better IMO to whatever other suppositions you want to throw out there. As @twabby pointed out the odds of winning the Cup are low. So from where I sit, the odds of the Caps history *being better* with no FF trade as the starting point are....slim.

Hope I’ve clarified myself here.
That is your opinion, not a given. You nor anybody can't say for sure that the Caps are not winning if that trade doesn't happen. Things could have gone vastly different yet still end up in a win, it might have happened even earlier. Yet there are posters in this thread who talk like they know for sure that we definitely had to get rid of Forsberg. Can't help but think this is a stupid thing to say.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
That is your opinion, not a given. You nor anybody can't say for sure that the Caps are not winning if that trade doesn't happen. Things could have gone vastly different yet still end up in a win, it might have happened even earlier. Yet there are posters in this thread who talk like they know for sure that we definitely had to get rid of Forsberg. Can't help but think this is a stupid thing to say.

I feel like you still arent getting this entirely.

My opinion is that the path chosen was the best one as we DID win a Cup.

It is NOT my opinion that had we kept FF, that history would have been different. That is a FACT.

You are arguing that it makes sense to throw away what did actually happen, for a slight chance that *maybe* it would have been better? Even though the odds are against it?

And NO ONE has said they had to get rid of FF. Where are you seeing that? All anyone seems to be saying is that they like TW for this team better than FF. That’s debatable for sure. Having both would be great too. But again, having both minus a Cup wouldn’t be good.

The only one making assumptions here seems to be you, amigo. From where I sit.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

It is NOT my opinion that had we kept FF, that history would have been different. That is a FACT.

You are arguing that it makes sense to throw away what did actually happen, for a slight chance that *maybe* it would have been better? Even though the odds are against it?

And NO ONE has said they had to get rid of FF. Where are you seeing that? All anyone seems to be saying is that they like TW for this team better than FF. That’s debatable for sure. Having both would be great too. But again, having both minus a Cup wouldn’t be good.

I think he's still taking the mystery box.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Some people sure really like to downplay Forsberg's abilities to make themselves feel better about the team. Ofcourse, it would really hurt to have him and Wilson both at the same time in the lineup. Get real, it's embarassing.

Wrong, try again. No one is saying they wouldn't want to have Forsberg. It's much more likely that some, i.e. most, people are just done talking about a trade that happened almost six years under a GM who doesn't work here any more with a player who never played a game for the organization, and they're especially done talking about it the year after the franchise won it's first Stanley Cup. What's more embarrassing, I think, are the people who can't let it go and can't accept things as they actually are so they rail against people who do and who use that one trade and that one player as the proposed silver bullet that would fix all that ails a team that, frankly, ain't that bad.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

Actually it's you who said had they did not get rid of Forsberg, GMGM would still be in charge etc. All I'm saying is that the trade wasn't necessary to make all the good things happen while you seem to go the other route, amigo. I got your point a while ago and that this is 'from where you sit', you probablyt have not gotten mine, that's why I explain it for the 5th or so time.

I think he's still taking the mystery box.

You're wrong but I could care less. Not gonna explain myself again and again, whatever.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Actually it's you who said had they not rid of Forsberg, GMGM would still be in charge etc. All I'm saying is that the trade wasn't necessary to make all the good things happen while you seem to go the other route, amigo. I got your point a while ago and that this is 'from where you sit', you probablyt have not gotten mine, that's why I explain it for the 5th or so time.

Reading needs to be a little stronger here. I said:

No trade may very well mean McPhee doesnt get canned then.

Which is completely true. It may have meant he kept his job. You are starting to just make things up here, dude.

I fully get your point. Simply Put: You are willing to trade what did happen (a Stanley Cup) for a great big "what if".

So you are Peter Griffin. We all get it.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Reading needs to be a little stronger here. I said:

Which is completely true. It may have meant he kept his job. You are starting to just make things up here, dude.

I fully get your point. Simply Put: You are willing to trade what did happen (a Stanley Cup) for a great big "what if".

So you are Peter Griffin. We all get it.
Which is your assumption but you wouldn't speak about it, that's a bad look for anyone - being caught on something you're accusing of another person. And don't speak for everyone, it's also a bad look for anyone.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Which is your assumption but you wouldn't speak about it, that's a bad look for anyone - being caught on something you're accusing of another person. And don't speak for everyone, it's also a bad look for anyone.

WTF are you babbling about?

Are you telling me that had the FF trade not happened, there isn’t a good chance McPhee stays? Most anyone (other than your jaded view) would agree with that comment.

No FF trade could very easily have saved GMGM’s job at the time. Ted keeps his GM’s well past their “expiration date”. Everyone knows this. Simply because you don’t want to acknowledge that doesn’t make it untrue.

There is zero proof, either way, that GMGM was gone no matter what. So to dismiss the possibility that he would have been kept had he not made the worst trade ever (and still missed the playoffs) is obtuse. Guess that speaks enough....and I’m arguing with Peter Griffin

Good Lord

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
WTF are you babbling about?

Are you telling me that had the FF trade not happened, there isn’t a good chance McPhee stays? Most anyone (other than your jaded view) would agree with that comment.

No FF trade could very easily have saved GMGM’s job at the time. Ted keeps his GM’s well past their “expiration date”. Everyone knows this. Simply because you don’t want to acknowledge that doesn’t make it untrue.

Good Lord
GMGM was fired because his team sucked balls in his last year, not because he traded some prospect. Good Lord, what kind of view the one can have if he thinks that the trade of one prospect is the reason for firing the GM who was working for 16 years for the organization.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
GMGM was fired because his team sucked balls in his last year, not because he traded some prospect. Good Lord, what kind of view the one can have if he thinks that the trade of one prospect is the reason for firing the GM who was working for 16 years for the organization.

Of course it was part of it. He not only lost a top prospect, he also didn’t make the playoffs. What part of that is so hard to understand?

Many many people see that move as the straw that broke the camels back. Save Peter Griffin

Edit — that’s the whole freaking problem with your little fantasy land theories. NO ONE CAN KNOW what would have happened. GOOD or BAD.

We only know what DID HAPPEN. And that you seem to be the only poster who is willing to throw that away on some “what if” Bull Shit.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Of course it was part of it. He not only lost a top prospect, he also didn’t make the playoffs. What part of that is so hard to understand?
It was the main reason, not a part of it. That was the first year when Ovi's Caps were absolutely irrelevant and GM was immediately sacked. Forsberg' trade was more of a secondary stuff at the time.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It was the main reason, not a part of it. That was the first year when Ovi's Caps were absolutely irrelevant and GM was immediately sacked. Forsberg' trade was more of a secondary stuff at the time.

See my edit. This entire discussion with you is fruitless. Go buy $100000 bucks of lottery tickets bro. I’m sure the chance of being a millionaire is better than the 100K

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
See my edit. This entire discussion with you is fruitless. Go buy $100000 bucks of lottery tickets bro. I’m sure the chance of being a millionaire is better than the 100K

Many many people see that move as the straw that broke the camels back. Save Peter Griffin

Edit — that’s the whole freaking problem with your little fantasy land theories. NO ONE CAN KNOW what would have happened. GOOD or BAD.

We only know what DID HAPPEN. And that you seem to be the only poster who is willing to throw that away on some “what if” Bull ****.
That was my point in this entire discussion but you refused to read it the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad