Confirmed with Link: Chad Johnson Signs One Year $1.7m

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
They could always extends him or Elliot later in the season. I'm not a big fan of giving up on Ortio either but that part's not a big deal.

And then there is always this. They are playing it safe for now to see how they do... but yes they will definitely need to extend one or the other... maybe both... just to be on the safe side, because if they both look strong and Las Vegas does pick up on one of the two, you still want a guy remaining. Never fun to start back to zero again and you don't know what will be available next Summer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Johnson > (I'm only using one because there is a character limit and the number needed would far exceed that number) Ortio

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Soooooo we don't have a goalie to Expose expansion draft now? So we either get a penalty or are forced into a trade. This signing is so bad. I'm convinced our management has no idea what a good goalie looks like. What a joke.

It's really not a big deal, and simple solution. Just extend Elliott, not hard and makes sense. Aside from his time in NYI, he has put up good numbers. Elliott has also been at the top of the NHL for the past 3 years. I think they know just well what a good goalie looks like.

You're nitpicking at this point because we lost Ortio.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's really not a big deal, and simple solution. Just extend Elliott, not hard and makes sense. Aside from his time in NYI, he has put up good numbers. Elliott has also been at the top of the NHL for the past 3 years. I think they know just well what a good goalie looks like.

So then we lose Elliot to the expansion draft. Yes signing a backup goalie to a one year deal was a huge mistake. Anyone saying otherwise is just wrong.

It's bad enough we signed Chad Johnson, at least sign him to a two year deal so he can be exposed. Jeez.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009

I can see them extending both. Johnson will surprise you guys with how good he tracks the puck ... very good goalie.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So then we lose Elliot to the expansion draft. Yes signing a backup goalie to a one year deal was a huge mistake. Anyone saying otherwise is just wrong.

It's bad enough we signed Chad Johnson, at least sign him to a two year deal so he can be exposed. Jeez.

We will have Elliott extended long before that is ever a concern. I'd bet my account on it.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

How would we lose Elliott? Just protect him, Gillies should be exempt.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I sort of like it. He was only really bad with the Islanders and aside from that, he was an OK backup.

He was more than really bad. He was Hiller bad with the Isles. The year before, he had a good year as a backup but with a great D in Boston.

If he plays nearly as good as he did last year though, good signing.

Also, don't forget that I'm also an Isles fan. We're never happy. A lot of us get upset when we don't draft a guy we like in the 6th round.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We will have Elliott extended long before that is ever a concern. I'd bet my account on it.

My point is that we have to expose a goalie with either a) a year left on his contract or b) RFA. We now have neither of those things. So if we sign Elliot we have to expose him unless we have another NHL goalie ünder contract. Stupid idea not to just sign a back up for two years and forget about it.

Edit: if we have no goalie to expose we get fined in draft picks and it puts us into a corner IMO. Now we are dealing from a position of weakness.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Any goalie under contract can be exposed by the team, there does not appear to be games played requirements for exposing a player under contract, they would just not have him on the protected list.

Sign a veteran AHL backup, expose him, Bob's your uncle.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
My point is that we have to expose a goalie with either a) a year left on his contract or b) RFA. We now have neither of those things. So if we sign Elliot we have to expose him unless we have another NHL goalie ünder contract. Stupid idea not to just sign a back up for two years and forget about it.

Edit: if we have no goalie to expose we get fined in draft picks and it puts us into a corner IMO. Now we are dealing from a position of weakness.

Ah I see, thanks for explaining.

Well we have lots of options though. Extend Johnson as well. Sign an AHL/NHL journeyman. Give an NHL deal to one of our AHL guys.

I am not too concerned about it.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
You'd have to extend the goalie you want to expose. If CJ & Elliot become an incredible tandem and we want to keep them both, we have to extend one and protect him and let the other go through the expansion as an FA then sign him after (if nobody else does).

THEN we have to sign another goalie so we have someone to expose and likely that goalie won't be taken in the draft so we'll be stuck with a third goalie again.

Unless I'm off on how this would play out? Maybe we can trade for a top goalie that another team would be left exposed (Fluery, Bishop etc) and likely taken.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Uhh... what's the worst penalty? We can't protect either Johnson or Elliott? Flames protect 3D, 7F and 0G?

Let's says LV takes Elliott. If he likes us, on July 1 after the draft, we sign him and pay STL their 3rd.

I don't see the problem.

Plus I feel like there will be better goalies to target come expansion draft, and perhaps someone will be extended mid season.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Uhh... what's the worst penalty? We can't protect either Johnson or Elliott? Flames protect 3D, 7F and 0G?

Let's says LV takes Elliott. If he likes us, on July 1 after the draft, we sign him and pay STL their 3rd.

I don't see the problem.

Plus I feel like there will be better goalies to target come expansion draft, and perhaps someone will be extended mid season.

Don't players who are exposed have to be under contract for the 2017/18 season? For LV to be able to select him, we'd have to extend him. So we extend him, pay St. Louis a 3rd then lose him to LV... not a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00