Confirmed with Link: Chad Johnson Signs One Year $1.7m

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Bye-bye Ortio :(

Would have rather had Enroth. Oh well; it least it's only a one year deal.

Flames currently don't meet the goalie requirement for the expansion draft.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I would have liked to have kept developing Ortio
But the term and the money for quietly the best back-up on the market makes it a good move by BT.

moon*

That's a decent signing, much better option than Ortio.

I was worried we would kill the Elliott savings by overpaying a guy like Reimer as the back-up so could to see we got a good option for cheap.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I like it. Would rather Enroth, but this is a solid signing.

No, you don't. I have been following Chad Johnson closely and he was the best Sabre last season. He had a horrible October, and can you blame him? A new team with new coaching systems and two-thirds of its top-six forward core didn't even play for the Sabres beyond this past season, minus Sam Reinhart's 9 game stint where he played minimal minutes.

Beyond October he posted a .928 save percentage and was one of the top goalies in the league. He was even better than Robin Lehner down the stretch. IMO he's the better of the two. Lehner also plays too heavy. Put up sick numbers on a mediocre-to-average team his last year in College, and had a few great stints sprinkled throughout the years. The Islanders were a mess two years ago, but yeah it wasn't his best year regardless. Can give up rebounds but puts himself in position to make a highlight reel save. He has quite a bit of those from his year in Buffalo. I had to follow him closely because he was in my keeper league. That and I am a Buffalo fan.... love Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart. They are an exciting team to watch.

Here's a great article on him....

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2016/5/17/11690218/2015-16-buffalo-sabres-grades-chad-johnson

Last edited:

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
With Elliot and Johnson, your goaltending tandem is now one of the best in the league. And with Jon Gillies in the pipeline going forward, your present day and future look strong.

Now all Calgary needs is a more effective powerplay, and more depth scoring ... Nothing a prospect or two graduating and a FA signing can't change. :)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Those that wanted Ortio back, you're entitled to your opinion but I've said for a while now the Flames didn't trust him. Passing on a better player for someone who's not in your long term plans makes no sense. Really like this move, cap is a little high though.

Bye bye Oreo.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Soooooo we don't have a goalie to Expose expansion draft now? So we either get a penalty or are forced into a trade. This signing is so bad. I'm convinced our management has no idea what a good goalie looks like. What a joke.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Soooooo we don't have a goalie to Expose expansion draft now? So we either get a penalty or are forced into a trade. This signing is so bad. I'm convinced our management has no idea what a good goalie looks like. What a joke.

Did we have a goalie to expose before this contract?

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I sort of like it. He was only really bad with the Islanders and aside from that, he was an OK backup.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Uhhh Elliot and Johnson are quality guys. What are you going on about? Johnson was the best goalie for Buffalo last year. Not just my opinion, but by most in Buffalo. But Murray has a love-fest for the often injured (again plays too heavy), high tempered and inconsistent, not-to-mention hasn't proven himself to be a worthwhile starter yet.... but hey, Johnson can go to a team that will enjoy him. He was one of the best goalies in the league down the stretch.

But yeah, he should have been signed for two years so you guys could have exposed him (or Elliott depending who's the weaker goalie of the two)... they need a goalie signed through to 17/18 to make the expansion, so remind me, is Elliot signed beyond one year?

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
They could always extends him or Elliot later in the season. I'm not a big fan of giving up on Ortio either but that part's not a big deal.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I'm going to save this one to throw in your face someday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad