Confirmed with Link: Chad Johnson Signs One Year $1.7m

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
First and second year pros are exempt. We have no players under contract who fit the parameters for expansion. Therefor a mistake.

Same question again, did we have a that kind of goalie before this contract? Also, did this contract remove the possibility that Flames sign a goalie to a contract that is available to expansion draft?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I actually don't see Chad Johnson being picked in the draft anyways. Should be a non-issue.

Extend Johnson and expose him, sign Elliot after the draft... assuming we want to keep them both another year that is.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Don't players who are exposed have to be under contract for the 2017/18 season? For LV to be able to select him, we'd have to extend him. So we extend him, pay St. Louis a 3rd then lose him to LV... not a chance

I am no expert, but I assumed we expose no one, but protect no one on G.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the penalty for not meeting requirements could be the loss of our 1st round pick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
the penalty for not meeting requirements could be the loss of our 1st round pick

giphy.gif

Chad Johnson extended 1 year 2 mil by TDL. :jump:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Wait, both of these goalies will be under contract until July 1 2017. Draft will be held June 2017.

Problem solved itself methinks. Could expose either goalie.

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Nope, has to be another season after this one.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Same question again, did we have a that kind of goalie before this contract? Also, did this contract remove the possibility that Flames sign a goalie to a contract that is available to expansion draft?

My point was more just sign the back up for two years. Then we wouldn't have had anything to worry about. If Chad Johnson was their guy, sign him to a two year deal. probably could have got the AAV down a bit too.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
My point was more just sign the back up for two years. Then we wouldn't have had anything to worry about. If Chad Johnson was their guy, sign him to a two year deal. probably could have got the AAV down a bit too.

Flames can do a lot regarding expansion draft and goalies. Their focus should not be in expansion draft but in the coming season. No need to bash any signing because it doesnt fit with expansion draft (unless its the opposite way, signing players that need to be protected)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They could expose Rittich I guess, assuming he's a RFA next summer.
Rittich would be an RFAm we just have to give him a qualifying offer prior to the expansion draft. Problem solved. Good call Calc.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Mostly just glad it's not Ortio. Local guy with pretty decent numbers. Brad has nailed the last TDL, Draft Day, and I would give him at least a B+ today.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Soooooo we don't have a goalie to Expose expansion draft now? So we either get a penalty or are forced into a trade. This signing is so bad. I'm convinced our management has no idea what a good goalie looks like. What a joke.

Pretty sure they do and that's why Ortio isn't coming back

And it's easy enough to extend Johnson for a year if he plays well enough. Otherwise we trade for a backup before expansion.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pretty sure they do and that's why Ortio isn't coming back

And it's easy enough to extend Johnson for a year if he plays well enough. Otherwise we trade for a backup before expansion.
Rittich can be exposed.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I like my loophole better. :(

So yeah, sign a minor league pro goalie and problem solved. Not sure what the tandems are in the AHL/ECHL. Gillies and McDonald, but who else?

Has to be a guy in the NHL to an NHL contract. But yes, through 17/18. I posted that earlier in this thread. So yes one of or both Elliot and Johnson should be extended. I also explained why both should be extended.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Has to be a guy in the NHL to an NHL contract. But yes, through 17/18. I posted that earlier in this thread. So yes one of or both Elliot and Johnson should be extended. I also explained why both should be extended.
There is no GP requirements for goalies, so they do not have to be an NHL goalie. That would be an absolutely ridiculous thing to ask because then teams would essentially 2 NHL goalies signed and probably 10-15 teams won't.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
It's funny how some view Chad Johnson only as a backup and can't think of the possibility he could be more. Not saying with this team.. just in general. The guy is 29. Most goalies don't have their best days until they reach their 30's. Also, he proved he could play the role of starter (yes it was just 45 games), but beyond October he had a very good year on a Buffalo team that had a lot of new parts and coaching staff. I think the guy has the potential to be a starter. Not saying he is a clear-cut starter material. But the potential is there and he does believe in himself. He has the confidence.

I like what I have seen out of Johnson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad