Player Discussion Chabot ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
In addition, he's not ready until he gets a haircut.

tumblr_loi63pc5WZ1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Not everybody.

I still think Lazar is not ready.

Same with Chabot. Give him his 9 games, then send him back.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Chabot is a gorgeous skater, but he doesnt get much done with it so far. Marner embarassed him a few rushes blowing by him like a pylon, and he got lost in the d-zone a few times as well. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt the first game while a new system is being implemented, but it wasnt good. While Karlsson and Wideman are small, they are wirey strong and that only comes with age.

Defensive positiong, strength development, and some more firepower behind his shooting will make him into a player.

He needs to go back to junior. I hope Boucher doesnt fall in love with his skating and transition game and keep him up.

He doesnt provide much more if at all than Wideman at this point, and we have Claesson, and maybe Bartkowski, Englund, and a longshot in Seidenberg as options to complete the corps.

His junior coach said his positioning was terrible his rookie year hence the scratching but he learned by leaps and bounds and became better than Zboril. He still has a lot to learn down there.

Idk if he even gets 9 games.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
To me, the 9 games are to evaluate a player who's on the verge of cracking the lineup in real game conditions. If we're sure he's going back to junior, there's no reason to give him those games. He's already had his season disrupted by Sens camp so let him get back to his team and settle in before the WJC disruption.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
To me, the 9 games are to evaluate a player who's on the verge of cracking the lineup in real game conditions. If we're sure he's going back to junior, there's no reason to give him those games. He's already had his season disrupted by Sens camp so let him get back to his team and settle in before the WJC disruption.

I think there is value in giving a player a taste for the NHL, and showing him the level he needs to be at.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Remember when everyone said Lazar was ready?

Give the kid another year to develop.

Lazar is/was as ready as he will ever be. He isn't going to magically develop a creative offensive mind.

Chabot can develop his, but it is apparent he can utilize his creativity and skills to some respect at a high level right now.

Let him get a game or two to start the year, then let him go and lead a Mem cup run and anchor the WJ team.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Well that's one period of the first game that he was subpar.. He might have been nervous. who knows. He's still a rookie who's asked big thing.

Wait after the preseason the make a global impression of a guy..

But I agree in general. Ready or not, he should go back to the Q, unless he's head above Boro or a PTO guy..( Which he probably will be ). Get 9 games and dominate in his role. Than let's see.
My opinion was more of a "at this moment in time" kinda thing. Of course we'll re-evaluate him after the preseason. But "right now" he's not ready imo.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Its slightly disappointing that Chabot isn't making this a hard decision. Not that I was expecting him to make the NHL or dominate preseason. Just seems like with players being ready at a younger and younger age, a player with his potential and hype would be further a long his development.

He definitely needs to work on his reaction speed and quick decisions to match or exceed the pro level. Luckily that will come with experience and training.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If you ask me to rate all the bubble dmen this preseason:

Claesson
Chabot
Englund
Kostka
Bartkowski
Borowiecki

Note: The last 2 players names finish in "ki".

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
If you ask me to rate all the bubble dmen this preseason:

Claesson
Chabot
Englund
Kostka
Bartkowski
Borowiecki

Note: The last 2 players names finish in "ki".

Agree. If it's me, I open October 12th with:

Methot-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Chabot-Wideman
Claesson

After 9:

Claesson-Wideman
Boro

Gives Englund a season in Bingo

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
At least Chabot will be developed properly given his reportedly poor play (based on what I have read on here, I have yet to see a pre-season game). Let him iron out the wrinkles in junior and the WJC, then hopefully he plays in Belleville for a bit next year before becoming a regular by midseason/start of 2018/2019.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Chabot is a gorgeous skater, but he doesnt get much done with it so far. Marner embarassed him a few rushes blowing by him like a pylon, and he got lost in the d-zone a few times as well. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt the first game while a new system is being implemented, but it wasnt good. While Karlsson and Wideman are small, they are wirey strong and that only comes with age.

Defensive positiong, strength development, and some more firepower behind his shooting will make him into a player.

He needs to go back to junior. I hope Boucher doesnt fall in love with his skating and transition game and keep him up.

He doesnt provide much more if at all than Wideman at this point, and we have Claesson, and maybe Bartkowski, Englund, and a longshot in Seidenberg as options to complete the corps.

His junior coach said his positioning was terrible his rookie year hence the scratching but he learned by leaps and bounds and became better than Zboril. He still has a lot to learn down there.

Idk if he even gets 9 games.

This is a really good point, he can chase anyone down but hunting out guys in small areas and staying in front of guys in close contact, he is not good at. I still think he defends pretty well, at this point he's like EK as a rookie just hugging the post and a lot of swatting at plays, but at this rate I think we keep him just to give him time to get used to the speed of the NHL and to be around the other pro-d to learn

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He has been reminding me of PW46 a bit, he's just too casual out there...you can see he has poise...but he seems to be underestimating the speed of the NHL considerably. Usually I'm excited about upcoming prospects, but watching Chabot....I'm no longer excited, I don't think he'll be a great NHL player unfortunately, you can't play a junior game at the NHL level. Yes still early, but i don't have a good feeling about him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He has been reminding me of PW46 a bit, he's just too casual out there...you can see he has poise...but he seems to be underestimating the speed of the NHL considerably. Usually I'm excited about upcoming prospects, but watching Chabot....I'm no longer excited, I don't think he'll be a great NHL player unfortunately, you can't play a junior game at the NHL level. Yes still early, but i don't have a good feeling about him.

Well darn, always next time

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

He's been knocked for his intensity and maybe that's to focus him on both sides of the game, but based on his feel for the game and how much he puts into winning when he has the puck I'd call him a natural. I don't know if we've had a prospect that has as many tools as Chabot does since EK. And when he plays more with the puck I think you'll see how he controls play.

I'd say his play is more similar to Jay Bowmeester then PW. Amd Bouwmeester looks like a light player out there, but he also plays for Team Canada, and i think that's Chabots ceiling right now. He's good enough to be a top 10 NHL Dman in the Canada depth chart. Sounds crazy, but I think he's that good.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He's a 19 year old defenceman.
How many 19 year old defencemen are NHL ready? 1%? Less?

He's not ready. The AHL might be ideal if it were possible, but it's not like he'll be wasting his time in the CHL either. There's still work to be done, and that's perfectly fine. Let our kids develop in the developmental league, that's what it's for.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He's been knocked for his intensity and maybe that's to focus him on both sides of the game, but based on his feel for the game and how much he puts into winning when he has the puck I'd call him a natural. I don't know if we've had a prospect that has as many tools as Chabot does since EK. And when he plays more with the puck I think you'll see how he controls play.

I'd say his play is more similar to Jay Bowmeester then PW. Amd Bouwmeester looks like a light player out there, but he also plays for Team Canada, and i think that's Chabots ceiling right now. He's good enough to be a top 10 NHL Dman in the Canada depth chart. Sounds crazy, but I think he's that good.

I agree he is a natural talent, probably fair to say Jaybo is his potential upside and PW downside. I just hope he finds more urgency to his game and really takes off, because you can tell he can be good if he put it all together. It just didn't look like he was really trying to make a case to break the roster this year.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I think the idea of the CHL mentality at time is fair. The penalties he is taking will not (should not) be there next year. He has a ways to go to become an NHL guy.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I am encouraged by a lot of the things I am seeing out of Chabot. He needs to get stronger and he has some adjusting to do with regards to the speed and pace of the NHL game. I think sending him back is the only realistic option at this point. I would keep him up for the 9 games as part of his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad