Player Discussion Chabot ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Isn't Saint Johns supposed to be good this year? Also lets see him play big minutes for Canada at the WJC

He has already played big minutes as the #2 D at the WJC. He will be the #1 this year.

He needs to stay in junior this year, he can dominate to a higher degree than last year, though it will be tough to replicate his play in the Q playoffs over a full season.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He isn't going to be in the NHL this year, that was never in anyone's opinion the route he was going to take (during his draft year and after he was drafted). I'm sure his spectacular 18 year old season may have changed that, hence the enthusiasm.

I'm not sure why we would hold back on enthusiasm for him, likely to just cover bases.

It's like people would rather expect the worst with prospects. Chabot had the best draft +1 season for a D we have drafted aside from Karlsson in 10+ years. I expect him to anchor the best team in the Q, and the WJC. Head to the AHL to start the year in 2017-18, and make the jump as soon as injuries happen and he's called up, the exact same as when he was drafted.

It seems as though a lot of people here are assuming he is a surefire top d man, pencilling him in alongside karlsson within a couple years. He is not a surefire anything at this point. He skates smoothly and is very poised. That's encouraging, but he has to add some urgency and/or a lot of strength to his game if he's going to be reliable in a lot of mins.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It seems as though a lot of people here are assuming he is a surefire top d man, pencilling him in alongside karlsson within a couple years. He is not a surefire anything at this point. He skates smoothly and is very poised. That's encouraging, but he has to add some urgency and/or a lot of strength to his game if he's going to be reliable in a lot of mins.

That tells me you're judging based on 2 summer camps.

I don't mean to be rude, but he led the Q in minutes per game, and was the most effective D in the league at 18. He is still 19, obviously he isn't ready for top minutes in the NHL, maybe 0.5% of 19 year old D are. That's why he'll likely be in the Q for a year and AHL for .5 years.

His development towards becoming a top 4 D couldn't be going better.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd keep in the Q this year and see how ready he is next year.

If Chabot is dedicated to getting stronger and improving he could have a shot at it.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
He's not anywhere close to being ready, apparently. He got blasted by coaches or lack of effort and intensity when they had scrimmages earlier in the summer. Let him play in the AHL for a couple of seasons

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Heck no. We have absolutely no reason to rush him right now. He's Methots eventual replacement imo, so until we start seeing a noticeable decline in Meth's play, I don't feel like it would be in anyone's best interest to have him brought in now.

I think he spends 1 year in junior, and then a half season or so in the AHL next season with some call ups. The following season after that he starts full time on the 3rd pairing, and maybe works his way up to the top 4 by the end of that season.

That would be my ideal time line for his arrival.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
He's not anywhere close to being ready, apparently. He got blasted by coaches or lack of effort and intensity when they had scrimmages earlier in the summer. Let him play in the AHL for a couple of seasons

This is being way blown out of proportion. His performance at main camp is much more important than a summer development camp.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
His game lacks drop passes for him to have success here. Also he had a bad dev camp so I'm pretty sure he's a bust.

JustinYS

Oct 21, 2010
Can someone who has seen him recently comment on his shot? Has it improved? Looked terribly weak at the world juniors.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I don't know if he got blasted, he just didn't wow anybody. I don't recall them saying he was bad.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
A lot of people thought Ceci wasn't ready. Once he made the jump, he was steady and only went up from there. I expect someone of Chabots skill level, to do the same.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
His game lacks drop passes for him to have success here. Also he had a bad dev camp so I'm pretty sure he's a bust.

Well, so that it's not a totally wasted pick, I suggest we make him the team style consultant. The whole team can come in with new haircuts like this

thomas-chabot-chats-with-members-of-media-at-the-ottawa-sena.jpeg

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Well, so that it's not a totally wasted pick, I suggest we make him the team style consultant. The whole team can come in with new haircuts like this

thomas-chabot-chats-with-members-of-media-at-the-ottawa-sena.jpeg

Looks like a poor man's Methot imo.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Remember when cowen experimented with hair style? Everyone should have buzzcuts that you can set a watch to. Not this weird hippy hair.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That tells me you're judging based on 2 summer camps.

I don't mean to be rude, but he led the Q in minutes per game, and was the most effective D in the league at 18. He is still 19, obviously he isn't ready for top minutes in the NHL, maybe 0.5% of 19 year old D are. That's why he'll likely be in the Q for a year and AHL for .5 years.

His development towards becoming a top 4 D couldn't be going better.

What do you think he needs to improve on then? (I'm guessing you'll say the same as me, so...?)
No I'm not basing it on the dev camps. It's based on everything I've seen since we drafted him.
His development is going fine. It could be better though.
We have people seemingly freaking out over the lee comments and some pencilling him next to EK. Both groups need to calm down that's all I'm suggesting.
The ice water in his veins is good once the puck is on his stick. Before it is though needs to raise the temperature in there a bit.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What do you think he needs to improve on then? (I'm guessing you'll say the same as me, so...?)
No I'm not basing it on the dev camps. It's based on everything I've seen since we drafted him.
His development is going fine. It could be better though.
We have people seemingly freaking out over the lee comments and some pencilling him next to EK. Both groups need to calm down that's all I'm suggesting.
The ice water in his veins is good once the puck is on his stick. Before it is though needs to raise the temperature in there a bit.

I don't for a second, after watching a lot of him, think he needs to increase his urgency.

He definitely needs to get stronger, like 99% of junior players.

He needs to work on his decision making, (IE) holding onto the puck too long

His shot could use work, but that won't be improved too much I wouldn't think. He will never have a Subban/Karlsson slap shot, but he gets the puck through like Brian Rafalski, whom I see as a comparable for Chabots points distribution and impact.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's not anywhere close to being ready, apparently. He got blasted by coaches for lack of effort and intensity when they had scrimmages earlier in the summer. Let him play in the AHL for a couple of seasons

Not that I disagree with your conclusion, but I still think the public wake-up call may be more about challenging him to work hard over the summer.

I'm more interested in how he does in the real camp.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not that I disagree with your conclusion, but I still think the public wake-up call may be more about challenging him to work hard over the summer.

I'm more interested in how he does in the real camp.

Me too. I think he needs time to mature, get stronger, work on his skills and weaknesses in his game. Extra time in the Q will be good for him and allow him to excel. Then a year in the AHL to learn how to play against mature stronger players who play more physical and are faster and stronger. So at least 2 years and possibly 2.5 to 3 years away. Same for White and Brown.

No need to rush all these boys with all the experienced guys we added this year! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad