Player Discussion Chabot ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
He underwhelmed at the recent summer showcase vs Finland, Sweden, U.S. He didn't seem poised or up to speed IMO. Will he be part of Sens this year, or tbd?!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Let's see how he does at camp, but in the interest of not rushing prospects, I hope he goes back to junior for the year.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Flyers fan here. I really really like Chabot, but boy I think it would be rushing him big time.

I don't think he's at the point where he is simply too good for juniors and dominates that level. He didn't look so hot at the showcase either and combined with the critiques from the prospects camp....just let him grow. Play another year in the Q, anchor the WJC, maybe play half a season+ in the AHL, and then come up. It's not like the Sens are contending right now and in some hurry. Someone like Provorov did everything basically possible at the junior level and is too good and did dominate and us fans are a little uneasy that he might not stick. If he's up in the air, Chabot should be a definite no. It's the best thing long term.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Not ready. One more year of junior and a year in the AHL.

Last edited:

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
If Dorion is able to acquire a bottom pair DMan in the summer, Chabot will almost certainly go right back to jr.

If he isn't, Chabot will play 9 games to buy us a little time, and then almost certainly go back to jr.

Of this, I am almost certain.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What repeated past mistakes? The total of 2 guys in the past 15 years we've taken out of the CHL before they were 20?

Under Murray we rushed every single one of our 1st round picks, especially our 1st round defensemen, to the detriment of their development.

A 19 year old Karlsson was rushed to the league to fill the team's need for a top 4 PMD, despite still needing time to develop physically and defensively. Turns out we had a generational talent on our hands, so rushing him to the league had limited harm on his development as a player. Still giving him more than 12 games at the AHL level definitely could have made him a better defensive player than he is right now.

Cowen was rushed to the NHL as a 20 year old, as the Sens decided 10 AHL playoff games proved Cowen had little need any additional development time a lower level. Besides one season playing beside a HOF defenseman in Gonchar, he never really seemed comfortable playing in the NHL. Now our top 10 draft pick is out of the NHL, largely a casualty of his own stupidity and inability to think at a high level, but partially because we didn't take our time with him.

Rundblad was brought over the pond and was immediately inserted into the Sens lineup. The brutal 25 games he played in Ottawa made it obvious he wasn't ready for the NHL, and instead of sending him down for more development they traded him in the Turris deal. Turned out fine for the organization with how great Turris worked out, but those 25 games probably lowered Rundblad's value significantly in the eyes of Coyotes management and likely resulted in the Sens giving up more for Turris than would have otherwise been necessary.

Ceci is probably the most obvious example out of all of these guys. Sens only gave him 27 games at the AHL level before calling him up to fill the massive hole in the top 4 that Murray neglected to fill via free agency or trade. Gotta give Ceci a lot of credit for turning out as good as he did, given that the organization seemingly tried their best to ruin him. Kid was paired with the corpse of Phillips in his first season, then was paired with Wiercioch in his second season, and played with Wiercioch/Cowen for most of this season. Ceci turning out as good as he did is shocking really.

I'm glad to hear Dorion is looking to fill the hole in the bottom pairing at LD through free agency or trade, rather than doing what Murray would do - sit on his hands and plug a top prospect into the lineup, to the detriment of the development of the player. Chabot does not look like he's ready for the league, and even if he did, spending a full season dominating his competition in the QMJHL would undoubtedly be better than playing bottom pairing minutes against NHL players as a 19 year old.

Enough rushing our top prospects. Let's be smart and give our blue chippers time to develop as players, instead of throwing them to the wolves like we did under Murray.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Barring a spectacular training camp, I think it's fairly safe to say he'll be back in the Q this year.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I say why the rush?

Rather him play lots in a lower league and gain strength, confidence and skill.

No need to rush the kid!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Well, he did have that one pass.

That's what I remember the most. Ok that's all I remember actually. I just remember being really high on him and bummed when we traded him. I also though Turris had an attitude problem because of his situation in Phoenix and was sceptical about him.

I don't mind admitting I was wrong :D

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He's going to have to blow the team away at training camp for him to have a chance to stick, IMO, and his dev camp wasn't exactly the kind of stepping stone he needed to do that.

Highly likely he spends another year in the Q, which IMO is best for everyone involved.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I hate that we have to send guys that are too good for jr. Back to jr. This is how players get rushed to the NHL. It would be way more beneficial for these types (not really for the NHL but too good for jr.) of players to play in the AHL.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Under Murray we rushed every single one of our 1st round picks, especially our 1st round defensemen, to the detriment of their development.

A 19 year old Karlsson was rushed to the league to fill the team's need for a top 4 PMD, despite still needing time to develop physically and defensively. Turns out we had a generational talent on our hands, so rushing him to the league had limited harm on his development as a player. Still giving him more than 12 games at the AHL level definitely could have made him a better defensive player than he is right now.

Cowen was rushed to the NHL as a 20 year old, as the Sens decided 10 AHL playoff games proved Cowen had little need any additional development time a lower level. Besides one season playing beside a HOF defenseman in Gonchar, he never really seemed comfortable playing in the NHL. Now our top 10 draft pick is out of the NHL, largely a casualty of his own stupidity and inability to think at a high level, but partially because we didn't take our time with him.

Rundblad was brought over the pond and was immediately inserted into the Sens lineup. The brutal 25 games he played in Ottawa made it obvious he wasn't ready for the NHL, and instead of sending him down for more development they traded him in the Turris deal. Turned out fine for the organization with how great Turris worked out, but those 25 games probably lowered Rundblad's value significantly in the eyes of Coyotes management and likely resulted in the Sens giving up more for Turris than would have otherwise been necessary.

Ceci is probably the most obvious example out of all of these guys. Sens only gave him 27 games at the AHL level before calling him up to fill the massive hole in the top 4 that Murray neglected to fill via free agency or trade. Gotta give Ceci a lot of credit for turning out as good as he did, given that the organization seemingly tried their best to ruin him. Kid was paired with the corpse of Phillips in his first season, then was paired with Wiercioch in his second season, and played with Wiercioch/Cowen for most of this season. Ceci turning out as good as he did is shocking really.

I'm glad to hear Dorion is looking to fill the hole in the bottom pairing at LD through free agency or trade, rather than doing what Murray would do - sit on his hands and plug a top prospect into the lineup, to the detriment of the development of the player. Chabot does not look like he's ready for the league, and even if he did, spending a full season dominating his competition in the QMJHL would undoubtedly be better than playing bottom pairing minutes against NHL players as a 19 year old.

Enough rushing our top prospects. Let's be smart and give our blue chippers time to develop as players, instead of throwing them to the wolves like we did under Murray.
Enough laying blame, by speculating what happened is what you should do .Some players bust ,it just happens.Cowen ,Rundblad,Wiercioch .Were developed properly,they just werent good enough

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No. Not even close. Chabot needs another year in junior, and at least a full season in the AHL after that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Cowen's first full season was his 21 year old season. He looked ready at that time, and played well. What happened afterwards likely had far more to do with his injuries than lack of development in the AHL. Perhaps he should have been sent back down to regain confidence after the injury, as he developed some bad habits while playing through hip issues which never were resolved.

Your claim that Karlsson would be better defensively had he played more in the AHL to me is dubious at best. all you're doing is identifying an issue and assuming time at a lower level would have resolved it. Nothing really supports the claim.

Yes, Rundblad played ~24 games as a 21 year old after absolutely dominating the SEL. He spent plenty of time in Portland after the trade and it did nothing for him. More time in the AHL didn't seem to resolve his issues. Not sure you can really argue that a poor 24 game stint in the NHL lowered his value. What if he looked just as unprepared in the AHL (hint, he did in Portland after the trade). I doubt playing him in the NHL affected his value any more than playing in Bingo would have.

Ceci's development seems to be going fine, but we "rushed" him? He's never really looked out of place, or overwhelmed. He's had his share of young defender issues, like any Dman does, the whole idea of guys being rushed is that it negatively impacts development, or hurts the big club because their not ready. That doesn't seem to be the case with Ceci.

I agree Chabot is probably better suited to play another season in the Q, but I don't think he'd have made the club under Murray as GM any more than now.

Imo, our problem hasn't been rushing D, it's been not supporting our young, ready, D with veteran partners. Both Wier, and Cowen were fine when paired with Gonchar, it's after he left things went off the rails. Ceci would have looked far better had Phillips not been a corpse by that point. Karlsson did fine with a better healthier Phillips and Sutton, then Kuba to help him along in his development.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
What would be the point of keeping him up? The top 4 is locked. Why bring a kid in to play a dozen garbage minutes in a role he is not accustomed to? It also not like he was setting the CHL on absolute fire either, a second team AS nomination in the Q is obviously excellent, but its not like he was in the discussion for D man of the year in the CHL.

I still see him as three years out. Rushing him now would be foolish.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
People need to hold back on the enthusiasm for this guy.

He isn't going to be in the NHL this year, that was never in anyone's opinion the route he was going to take (during his draft year and after he was drafted). I'm sure his spectacular 18 year old season may have changed that, hence the enthusiasm.

I'm not sure why we would hold back on enthusiasm for him, likely to just cover bases.

It's like people would rather expect the worst with prospects. Chabot had the best draft +1 season for a D we have drafted aside from Karlsson in 10+ years. I expect him to anchor the best team in the Q, and the WJC. Head to the AHL to start the year in 2017-18, and make the jump as soon as injuries happen and he's called up, the exact same as when he was drafted.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Isn't Saint Johns supposed to be good this year? Also lets see him play big minutes for Canada at the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad