Player Discussion Chabot ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Johnny Unitis had a haircut you could set your watch to.

:laugh:

And no, I don't think Chabot is quite ready yet. Another yr in junior & playing in the WJC should help him tremendously as well as fighting for a spot the following yr. He may even start his pro career in Bingo which wouldn't hurt him either & be an injury call up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wish Chabot was born about 20 days earlier and could join bingo, as I think it's quite possible that with a bit of AHL seasoning, he'd be a valuable call-up. I don't really think it's to his benefit to start the year in the NHL though. I could see giving him a taste (that whole 10 game thing) but he have to really surprise to stick beyond that.

All that said, I always find it hard to judge whether a guy will be ready in the offseason when he's not really played in months, and won't be playing for months. The offseason isn't development free time; guys can take big strides forward by developing physically. They can train on weaknesses in the offseason (I seem to recall stories about Chara's training routine in the offseason including taking hundreds of slap shots from the point every day to work on getting his shot off quicker, and more accurately and seem to recall him having a career year.

Point is, I'd rather decide if Chabot is ready after training camp. My gut tells me he isn't ready yet, but a lot can change between now and October.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yes he's ready. He might be the smartest D we have after EK and I saw that seriously.

and Englund will be ready at the same time. So we'll have a glut of Left D next camp, I'd say at this point the depth chart looks like this:

Dion
Methot
Bartowski
Chabot
Englund
Boro

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's obviously better than Borowiecki right now, but his development is best served by dominating junior competition.

Unless he dominates the rest of the pre-season games he plays, he should be sent back to junior.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Needs to mature more and put on more weight before he's NHL ready.

But nobody can touch him, he's so slick he goes through the neutral zone like Sandis Ozalinch.

He needs to get better in front of h net, but right now his skills, brain and skating are NHL level. I don't think Chabot will ever be excellent in front of his net. But he the way he can chase guys and skate in front of them when they have the puck, it's unbelievable. Not even EK does that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's obviously better than Borowiecki right now, but his development is best served by dominating junior competition.

Unless he dominates the rest of the pre-season games he plays, he should be sent back to junior.

Agreed. Let him go back and be the best player on the best team in the CHL, start him next year in Bingo and let him roll in his first callup.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Not ready. Flashed great play (3rd period), but also dreadful play (1st period) last night. More good than bad but not consistent enough at the moment. Could progress quickly but more likely needs another year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Man, next year is gonna be something.

White and Chabot coming in, having over-cooked in the minors.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Not ready. Flashed great play (3rd period), but also dreadful play (1st period) last night. More good than bad but not consistent enough at the moment. Could progress quickly but more likely needs another year.

Well that's one period of the first game that he was subpar.. He might have been nervous. who knows. He's still a rookie who's asked big thing.

Wait after the preseason the make a global impression of a guy..

But I agree in general. Ready or not, he should go back to the Q, unless he's head above Boro or a PTO guy..( Which he probably will be ). Get 9 games and dominate in his role. Than let's see.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Man, next year is gonna be something.

White and Chabot coming in, having over-cooked in the minors.

Brown will probably be coming into the fold as well. If he dominates the OHL this year, can't see him staying in Windsor another year.

Agreed. Let him go back and be the best player on the best team in the CHL, start him next year in Bingo and let him roll in his first callup.

Being the #1 D for Team Canada at the World Juniors will be good for his development too.

I hope he doesn't have to start in Binghamton next year. Hopefully after another year of junior his game will be matured enough to perform well in a bottom pairing capacity in the NHL in 2017/18.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Offensively he's ready.

IMO though he's got a ways to go in the dzone. He got walked a few times yesterday and you don't take 3 penalties if you have things under control.

Needs another year in the Q. Don't rush the kid. He could be special.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
A big no from me. Let him be the best Dman in the CHL, a leader for team Canada, and hopefully a deep playoff run. Start him in the AHL next year and only call him up if he leaves no other choice.

Both Karlsson and Ceci started their first NHL seasons in the minors, and Cowen went right to the NHL. I know that each case is different, but better safe than sorry with Chabot.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012

Agree. They would be foolish to throw him in this year unless he dominates. He won't be enough of a difference maker this year to risk forgoing another year of development and getting stronger.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
A guy like this doesn't need to be rushed. Let's bring him along slowly so we can get the most out of him when he makes it to the NHL.

Princeton

Aug 24, 2009
I disagree with most opinions here.

He was excellent at the rookie camp and depsite some gaffes last night, he is at worst the 6th best D on the team now and at best 2nd.

Boro is awful. Dion is slow-footed.

I say play the best players.

I don't agree that just because a kid is a high draft pick (Cowan) that they should be rushed. However when you do show that you are better than the player above you on the depth chart you deserve the shot.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I disagree with most opinions here.

He was excellent at the rookie camp and depsite some gaffes last night, he is at worst the 6th best D on the team now and at best 2nd.

I don't agree that just because a kid is a high draft pick (Cowan) that they should be rushed. However when you do show that you are better than the player above you on the depth chart you deserve the shot.

Thats very short sighted.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nope.

He needs a lot of improvement defensively. He also needs some more polishing on the offensive side. Plus...weight. Kid needs a bit more muscle.

Give him 2-3 regular season games this year as a nice incentive, then return him to junior.

leftwinglocker

Go Knights !
Jul 22, 2010
i disagree with most opinions here.

He was excellent at the rookie camp and depsite some gaffes last night, he is at worst the 6th best d on the team now and at best 2nd.

I don't agree that just because a kid is a high draft pick (cowan) that they should be rushed. However when you do show that you are better than the player above you on the depth chart you deserve the shot.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
I expect him to be Pietrangeloed.

Pietrangeloed - verb.

Definition: To be allowed to only play up to 9 games as a CHL player while the entry level contract can slide.

Use in a sentence: Man, I can't believe the Sabres just Pietrangeloed Reinhart. I was sure he was going to be on the team this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad