CFL: Official Ottawa REDBLACKS Thread Part VI: 2016 GREY CUP CHAMPIONS Edition

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Well that's all she wrote folks.

Not that we would have won anyway, but not using the challenge a couple of times on the obvious missed calls was monumentally f***ing stupid. Just completely left all the momentum with Saskatchewan. f***ers going home with an immunity idol in his pocket lol

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Sask intercept that cost them yards. A knockdown would have been better for them on a 3rd down gamble. I guess it doesn't matter they might as well pad their personal stats the RBs aren't doing anything. Harris is like a martini that's both shaken and stirred!

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Baltimore finally figured out that the game has started. Too bad it's the 4th quarter and his team is trailing badly!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
he is a good punter though. Oh well still showed some good things this year. Too bad we couldnt do it this year but some good things going forward.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
They would have lost in Toronto anyway, so many injuries.

But I wonder if the GM wasn't a bit too ready to let some
veteran payers go in the off season thinking he could fill in with so many young players.I don't mean the receivers because he did a pretty good of replacing them.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Harris wasn’t good enough, although he didn’t exactly cost us the game. The defense was way too passive and let Saskatchewan march down the field at will. The play calling was also awful.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
It starts with the defense. The pass rush is almost non existent and the backs can't cover or tackle. A recipe for disaster. Desjardins has to build from the defensive line out. With all the tall receivers now they need taller DBs too.

It felt like Sask was reading our defensive playbook. Almost every time we blitzed they had extra protection and when we rushed 3 they killed us with receivers out in numbers and way too much time for Glenn to find secondary receivers or just plain improvise. Glenn was hardly ever flushed or pressured. That and the shoddy tackling giving up double and triple the earned yards on nearly every down lost the game.

The offense lost momentum early also after the 2nd TD against and the Harris interception in the red zone. They had nothing left after that except dropsies, poor throws, too many short passes in front of the linebackers and wide field long slow passes which are often dangerous, too easy to defend and at most produce short gains because the db has too much time to recover. I didn't like those earlier in the year or last year and it seems they reverted to their old offense. The RBs looked ill prepared on both sides of the ball. Some of that has to be player assessment and coaching at all positions. Desjardins has a big job to remake this team.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Harris is a scrub. Noodle arm, inaccurate on any throw beyond 10 yards, terrible decision making and has the mobility of an elm tree. You cannot win anything with him at QB. The Redblacks also have absolutely nothing behind him. Lindley is a disgrace and Tate is an injury prone, journeyman.

Time for the Redblacks to get serious about the position and do whatever it takes to acquire Johnny Manziel. Manziel drunk and on drugs is still better than Trevor Peashooter.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Should see Grey Cup tickets for resale starting tonight. Some might hang on a bit longer hoping to break even or maybe sell at a profit but we may see a more serious dump at much lower prices if gawd forbid Sask beats Tor next week and it's an all west game.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Harris is a scrub. Noodle arm, inaccurate on any throw beyond 10 yards, terrible decision making and has the mobility of an elm tree. You cannot win anything with him at QB. The Redblacks also have absolutely nothing behind him. Lindley is a disgrace and Tate is an injury prone, journeyman.

Time for the Redblacks to get serious about the position and do whatever it takes to acquire Johnny Manziel. Manziel drunk and on drugs is still better than Trevor Peashooter.

They were saying on the post game radio show that the pickings are slim for QBs and Harris is in the driver's seat. He could command $450k to $500k per season on a 3 year deal if he stays. He's a FA so maybe someone else would pay him even more. Harris is not as bad as the results of this game might show but the play calling wasn't good most of the season until they let loose after falling behind. I'm not sure if that's on him or the O-coordinator.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
This was Harris’ first full season as an undisputed starter and his first playoff game. I’d like to see another year of him before I write it off as a bust, but with a contract extension due, it puts our GM in a tough position.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Should see Grey Cup tickets for resale starting tonight. Some might hang on a bit longer hoping to break even or maybe sell at a profit but we may see a more serious dump at much lower prices if gawd forbid Sask beats Tor next week and it's an all west game.

I would have thought the opposite. Lots of Saskatchewan fans around, and more likely to want to go to the game, as opposed to Argo fans who seem to be rare as hen's teeth.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
They were saying on the post game radio show that the pickings are slim for QBs and Harris is in the driver's seat. He could command $450k to $500k per season on a 3 year deal if he stays. He's a FA so maybe someone else would pay him even more. Harris is not as bad as the results of this game might show but the play calling wasn't good most of the season until they let loose after falling behind. I'm not sure if that's on him or the O-coordinator.

Yep. Harris will get paid.. But why continue to tolerate the mediocrity? You can build a great team around Harris (the best in the CFL even) and you still will not win. The gap between Mike Reilly, BO, and RR (when he gets protection) is about the size of the grand canyon compared to everyone else in the CFL. It's a QB driven league. Nichols is just another fraud like Harris.

Redblacks can either pay Harris and ensure a .500 record, or swing for the fences with Manziel. The guy who swings for the fences (Chris Jones) came in and clowned this organization today.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Harris was lights out at the beginning of last season, he's got the talent. I don't think he was the issue. He didn't look good after taking a hit and apparently he reaggravated an injury which explains alot.

I think our coaching has a lot to be desired, and I'll leave that there.

As for the Grey Cup, anyone know about the Parade they usually have before the GC? I haven't been able to find any info on it.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Congrats Argos! You did to the Roughriders what our RedBlacks couldn't!

Ha ha Green Riders and your fans! You can go home now as your extended road trip does not include coming back to Ottawa for the Grey Cup game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
They had to show that double interference call against Tony Gabriel in the 1981 Grey Cup game! I'm angry once again that our Rough Riders were ripped off of winning that game!

Again, because of that injustice, I will never, ever, buy CFL tickets ever again!

Sorry RedBlacks, as much as I love that you're back, I just can't buy tickets from you. Shame on you CFL!!!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
How on earth has this league not moved the season back already so that the Grey Cup can be played in somewhat decent weather? The NFL deal can't come soon enough. Weather was terrible at the game.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
How on earth has this league not moved the season back already so that the Grey Cup can be played in somewhat decent weather? The NFL deal can't come soon enough. Weather was terrible at the game.

How many of the classic Grey Cups were games with terrible weather? Also, an earlier season means the first couple weeks will be up against the Stanley Cup Finals, and the playoffs will be up against the MLB playoffs. It is fine the way it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad