Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Party on, Ottawa.

burris-ottawa-redblacks-henry-burris-holds-up-the-grey-cup-c.jpeg

CycuIfGWEAECAEv.jpg

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just got back from the parade - incredible turnout and amazing energy. Seeing all those people packed into the square in front of Aberdeen Pavilion gave me chills. I thought back to when that place was a crumbling mess, and all of the naysayers said that CFL football would never work in Ottawa. Lansdowne will be abandoned, team will fold in three years, blah blah blah.

Part of me wishes that the parade had taken a detour and gone right by Clive Doucet's house, actually. <Insert evil grin here.>

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Just got back from the parade - incredible turnout and amazing energy. Seeing all those people packed into the square in front of Aberdeen Pavilion gave me chills. I thought back to when that place was a crumbling mess, and all of the naysayers said that CFL football would never work in Ottawa. Lansdowne will be abandoned, team will fold in three years, blah blah blah.

Part of me wishes that the parade had taken a detour and gone right by Clive Doucet's house, actually. <Insert evil grin here.>

To quote our Grey Cup MVP, we just told all the doubters to "shove it." And I love it.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Shout out to the kids of Corpus Christi and/or Fifth Avenue Public School. Looks like their staff organized an impromptu field trip to the parade. They brought a lot of noise and energy to Bank St.

We were down there at 11:30 and it looked pretty sparse, but people descended en-masse close to noon and it was pretty packed.

Thankfully the rain was done and the roads were fine at that point.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I was there. Funniest was the mayor saying there were those who didn't want to see this happen and someone yelled "SUCK IT DOUCETTE!!!"

So true...eat that salty pie Clive, eat it up real good and proper.

It's funny, I had my doubts about Campbell as a coach in year 1 and he proved me completely wrong in year 2. Had the same doubts about Burris too.

This is a good tasting crow.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I was there. Funniest was the mayor saying there were those who didn't want to see this happen and someone yelled "SUCK IT DOUCETTE!!!"

So true...eat that salty pie Clive, eat it up real good and proper.

It's funny, I had my doubts about Campbell as a coach in year 1 and he proved me completely wrong in year 2. Had the same doubts about Burris too.

This is a good tasting crow.

Yes, the crow tastes real good!

I too doubted Campbell as a head coach, and, I thought Burris was long past his prime.

Now, I hope Burris comes back for one more year, even if it's just as a backup.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That little bomb Burris dropped about needing knee surgery, though, makes me think that he is going to retire. If he's waiting until January to get it done, then that's even more of a hint that he is retiring. If he wanted to come back in 2017, he should be getting his procedure done ASAP.

Honestly, he should retire. He obviously has absolutely nothing left to prove, and he should take the amazing opportunity he has been given to drop the mic and go out on the very top of his game. Very few athletes get that opportunity, and he now has it. My worry is that he ends up injured and/or a backup in 2017, and that would be a shame to see.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That little bomb Burris dropped about needing knee surgery, though, makes me think that he is going to retire. If he's waiting until January to get it done, then that's even more of a hint that he is retiring. If he wanted to come back in 2017, he should be getting his procedure done ASAP.

Honestly, he should retire. He obviously has absolutely nothing left to prove, and he should take the amazing opportunity he has been given to drop the mic and go out on the very top of his game. Very few athletes get that opportunity, and he now has it. My worry is that he ends up injured and/or a backup in 2017, and that would be a shame to see.

I agree, he should start in management or coaching immediately so we keep him in the organization. The Red Blacks are bound to lose more pieces when you have this much success teams are going to continue to pluck away at the organization.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I agree, he should start in management or coaching immediately so we keep him in the organization. The Red Blacks are bound to lose more pieces when you have this much success teams are going to continue to pluck away at the organization.

It's hard to stop playing when you still think you can contribute even at his age & he just won the Grey Cup & MVP of the game. Of course, depending on how bad his knee is maybe he can be a backup to Harris next yr or become a QB coach in Ottawa. He still has a pretty good arm & is pretty smart out there but at the same time, Rickey Ray has stayed too long & is paying the price with numerous injuries now.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
It was probably pretty noisy in the Glebe today.
So spare a thought for our friends-The Friends of Lansdowne!

Last edited by a moderator:

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Couldn't make it to the parade today but apparently there were more than 40 000 people out there. Well done Ottawa!

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Can anyone else still not believe it?

It doesn't seem real. The entire thing. Getting the text from my friend saying Burris is injured. Seeing tweets saying Harris starts. Seeing Burris run onto the field and play. Being in total control of one of the best CFL teams ever at halftime. Seeing the lead slowly slip away. Thinking suddenly we were going to lose as Calgary marched up the field. The shoestring tackle. Jackson's circus TD. Not giving Bo Levi, Messam or Calgary even one yard on a defensive stop to win the Grey Cup. The same D that looked extremely shaky at times this season. With a 41 year old injured QB who looked shaky at times this year.

Nothing about this seems real.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Can anyone else still not believe it?

It doesn't seem real. The entire thing. Getting the text from my friend saying Burris is injured. Seeing tweets saying Harris starts. Seeing Burris run onto the field and play. Being in total control of one of the best CFL teams ever at halftime. Seeing the lead slowly slip away. Thinking suddenly we were going to lose as Calgary marched up the field. The shoestring tackle. Jackson's circus TD. Not giving Bo Levi, Messam or Calgary even one yard on a defensive stop to win the Grey Cup. The same D that looked extremely shaky at times this season. With a 41 year old injured QB who looked shaky at times this year.

Nothing about this seems real.

I think it was James Duthie that said it was something that would have seemed too extreme for even a movie script.

Senzilla

Aug 20, 2016
Ottawa
It was probably pretty noisy in the Glebe today.
So spare a thought for our friends-The Friends of Lansdowne!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5tTyNM6GwQg

That is all kinds of awesome. :laugh:. Ten bucks says the Friends of Landsdowne people were in attendance today, or at least cheering the Redblacks on. I'm so, so glad those idiots didn't get their way. I just hope there are no Friends of Lebreton in the future, but I digress. Well ChocolateLeclaire, I eat crow, I admit it. I was entirely wrong about the time, the turnout was clearly amazing. I figured many people would be in the same boat I was in, but I was wrong. It certainly helped that it was a snow day, but I think this puts to rest any talk of Ottawa not being a sports town. Well done, Ottawa!

Man, I still can't believe this happened. I'm going to make it my mission to be there for the banner raising ceremony.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not to give the guy too much space, but Vickers is a real piece of work. He's a self-described stay at home dad who lives on Holmwood Ave. and who made opposing Lansdowne his life's work. He used to be really active on social media but seems to have disappeared from Twitter - perhaps he needed a "safe space" for a while.

Oh, and no need to worry about the "Friends of LeBreton". They were all evicted 50 years ago to make way for, well, not much of anything so far...

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It really is amazing how many more fans a team has once they win! lol

What is this? They just about sold out every home game the franchise has ever played. They have had a ton of fan support since the beginning.

Oh, and no need to worry about the "Friends of LeBreton". They were all evicted 50 years ago to make way for, well, not much of anything so far...

Ya, I don't think there will be many complaints from Chinatown or Little Italy, where restaurants will see a huge increase in sales on game day, or Hintonburg, where home owners are licking their chops at this project potentially increasing their property values even more.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Now the fun begins... Some pretty big names on Ottawa's free agent list

Ellingson, Gavins, Hightower, Hopkins, E. Jackson, T. Jackson, Kanneh, Laing, Paden, Powell, Pruneau, Reed, Van, Whiteside, Chris Williams

3/4 of our star receivers, some really key defensive players our RB depth.

A lot of these guys, especially Ellingson and E. Jackson, came to Ottawa on cheaper deals. GMMD has his work cut out for him this summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad