CFL: Official Ottawa REDBLACKS Thread Part VI: 2016 GREY CUP CHAMPIONS Edition

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Got another hadouken for us Carter? No?

I saw the Redblacks twitter mention about him staying classy, but they didn't show what it was that he did. Was it something that bad?

Anyway awesome stuff from the Redblacks, I missed this one but seems it was a good game!

Here's hoping they can clinch first and host the East final.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I saw the Redblacks twitter mention about him staying classy, but they didn't show what it was that he did. Was it something that bad?

Anyway awesome stuff from the Redblacks, I missed this one but seems it was a good game!

Here's hoping they can clinch first and host the East final.

After every catch he made he would go to one knee and mimic best buds tandem Ryu and Ken's special Hadoken move from Street Fighter with the ball, the first few times got a laugh but you gotta change it up and can't keep going back to the same same.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
After every catch he made he would go to one knee and mimic brother tandem Ryu and Ken's special Hadoken move from Street Fighter with the ball, the first few times got a laugh but you gotta change it up and can't keep going back to the same same.

Oh that's it? I figured he flipped off the bench or disrespected the logo or something..

I just found it odd they tweeted about it, they usually don't mention stuff like that, so I figured it was something bad enough..

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Agreed. I was hoping Lindley would mock it on that game winning touchdown with seconds left, but I suppose the shock in the stadium was more than enough satisfaction.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Talk about a picture-perfect weekend for the Red and Black. Officially in the playoffs and back in the battle for the top spot in the east.

The East through Week 17:

Current

1. OTT 17gp: 7-9-1 15pts
2. TOR 16gp: 7-9-0 14pts

Remaining

TOR: vs WPG , BYE , @ BC
1 home/1 away

OTT
: BYE , vs HAM , BYE
1 home/0 away

WEEK 18:

WPG @ TOR

The path to 1st in the East can happen two ways:

-> An Ottawa win vs Hamilton in Week 19 PLUS a Toronto loss in EITHER of their two remaining games
-> Toronto losing BOTH of their remaining games

Indirectly, BC is a team we should be pulling for in the final three weeks. In the event the REDBLACKS match what Toronto does vs Winnipeg in the game vs Hamilton, that Week 20 TOR @ BC game will determine who wins the east and it would be in Ottawa's best interest that the game remains meaningful for the Lions should that occur. No matter what, the final home game vs. Hamilton will be meaningful for Ottawa (either to clinch the East or to force a Toronto win the following week).

BC can only catch Saskatchewan if they hope to make the playoffs, having been eliminated from the West playoff picture.

4. SSK (8-7-0 16 PTS): @ CGY , vs MTL, vs EDM
-------------------------------------
5. BC (6-9-0 12 PTS): vs EDM , @ WPG , vs TOR

Saskatchewan has the head-to-head tie-breaker vs BC, so BC basically needs to win out at this stage and hope for help.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Question: do the RedBlacks sell or give away programs, and do they have a yearbook? I'm going to be at the game Friday and always like to collect those. Either I get to see my Cats win or you win and screw the Argos out of the East so I can't lose. Also any good cheap places near the stadium to eat before/after the game (Tims and Harvey's would be fine, also any poutine joints as I love poutine)?

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
This season, the REDBLACKS have seemed to have programs in 3-game segments. There IS a program, but it's the same one they used the two previous home games as well. Take a look at the team shop or various booths around the stadium. The game day programs are free and I believe there is a yearbook for purchase at the team store just outside the stadium and various kiosks inside the stadium.

In terms of eats, no shortage of that on site and all along Bank Street. You mentioned "good cheap places", so maybe check out Kettleman's right across Bank Street from the Stadium. Delicious sandwiches made on fresh bagels. There's a Pizza Pizza right there, MCDS down the street, a french fry truck with all the meats just south of the stadium on Bank....you'll have no problem finding places. If you're planning on sitting down, I'd get there no later than 4:00pm.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Nothing much to update now in terms of the standings. There's only 1 path to 1st in the east and it starts with a must-win on Friday, followed by some Lions help next week. Anything less and we'll be hosting the Western crossover in the east semi final (likely Edmonton or Saskatchewan).

Looking for Harty to see increased workload with the terrible loss of 88. Let's get this team into the Grey Cup. Man, what an event that would be.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I just said to myself "they should run the ball here" and they ran it and got a TD.

Where do I apply to become a CFL coach?

Reactions: bert

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
We need BC to do us a solid and beat the Argos next week. Ottawa finishing first in the East after the horrible start would be amazing.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
REDBLACKS finish the season 8-9-1, not too bad considering the circumstances (slow start, injury problems). The last three games were very exciting and not easy on the heart at all. Here's hoping for a BC win so the team can run the entire playoffs through Ottawa.

Reactions: bert

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
REDBLACKS finish the season 8-9-1, not too bad considering the circumstances (slow start, injury problems). The last three games were very exciting and not easy on the heart at all. Here's hoping for a BC win so the team can run the entire playoffs through Ottawa.
Kind of seems like the were pacing themselves this season knowing how the schedule was and the fact they are hosting the grey cup.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That was basically the most TiCats way we could've lost that game possible. Special teams just killed us. Was a great game though. TD Place is very nice. Only other real disappointment was that tickets for parliament were gone when I got there :-(

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Week 20 determines so, so much in terms of final standings. Of the six playoff spots in the CFL playoffs, only ONE (Calgary - 1st in West) is locked in and cannot move. Every other playoff-bound team is written in pencil, for now....

Scenarios important to the REDBLACKS:

The East:

Ottawa wins the East with a Toronto loss in B.C. A Toronto win OR tie, Ottawa finishes 2nd.

The Western Crossover:

Will be either Edmonton or Saskatchewan. As the schedule would have it, these teams meet in Regina to end the season. Winner stays West, loser comes East.

Outside of Ottawa-implications, Edmonton can still host a playoff game with a win PLUS a Winnipeg loss OR tie vs Calgary. All that said, Edmonton could still finish anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the West (a swing from hosting a semi final to crossing over....that tight!).

Anyone have any B.C. Lions gear for this week?

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Looks l like its Ottawa vs Saskatchewan . The Argos are stomping the Lions.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
So, REDBLACKS vs Roughriders, TD Place, next Sunday. Winner plays Toronto a week later at BMO with a Grey Cup ticket on the line.

We always seem to get the most ‘storybook’ playoff scenario. Last year, it was the Grey Cup rematch and then one of the biggest upsets in Grey Cup history. This year, redemption for the 2015 Grey Cup with Chris Jones/Duron Carter, and then going back to the place where we won the Grey Cup last year before hosting our own. Let’s get it done.

After every catch he made he would go to one knee and mimic best buds tandem Ryu and Ken's special Hadoken move from Street Fighter with the ball, the first few times got a laugh but you gotta change it up and can't keep going back to the same same.

I thought he was doing Goku’s move from Dragon Ball Z? I don’t know how to spell it lol

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I heard something about now being able to sell seats in the east end zone for Sunday. Anyone else?

If so, I hope the team prices them cheap to try to fill up the stadium. Really use home field as much as possible.

Also heard there is a push in Toronto right now to sell as many seats as possible. SSK always draws well on the road, but I think they know what would happen if the REDBLACKS can find a victory on Sunday with what would surely be thousands of REDBLACKS fans descending on BMO. Fingers crossed.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I heard something about now being able to sell seats in the east end zone for Sunday. Anyone else?

If so, I hope the team prices them cheap to try to fill up the stadium. Really use home field as much as possible.

Also heard there is a push in Toronto right now to sell as many seats as possible. SSK always draws well on the road, but I think they know what would happen if the REDBLACKS can find a victory on Sunday with what would surely be thousands of REDBLACKS fans descending on BMO. Fingers crossed.

The Grey Cup last year was literally a REDBLACKS home game. If Ottawa wins on Sunday, I'd say as many as 50% in attendance could be Ottawa fans.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
That was a crazy atmosphere definitely because of REDBLACKS fans. We made the late decision to go and it is one of the best sporting decisions I've made.

Tickets | Eastern Final: Toronto Argonauts v. TBD - Toronto, ON at Ticketmaster

Take a look at the current seating availability for the Eastern Final. I mean, yeah, still a lot of tickets left, but not AS many as I would have thought, especially on the east side where barely anyone sits regularly. I think the REDBLACKS may have secured blocks of seats with a purchase agreement in the event they reach the game.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm definitely making the roadie to Toronto if we win tomorrow. We also went to Grey Cup last year at BMO Field, and it was an experience of a lifetime. So glad we caught that game live...

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
It looks like most of the seats have been booked up for Sundays game, but there could have been more had the Redblacks not dropped the ball on their website.

In the last couple of days it was frustrating to try to get to where you could see or buy tickets on their site, no matter what the link you were always redirected back to the same page in an endless loop.

They have corrected it today but ,as with the Senators frustrating fans on here who wanted to buy seasons tickets, maybe the first thing some of these sports teams should do when they are trying to move tickets is to make sure they are making it easy for people to book.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad