CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part II: ALLCAPS EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitlick*

The name is embarrassing, the all caps is doubly embarrassing. Even profootballtalk.com made fun of them the other day. (article was about Ottawa scouting nfl cuts)

Typical case of an owner having a terrible idea and none of the yes men and sycophants that work for him had the guts to tell him the truth.

Honestly, I can't even cheer for them. I'll have to stick with the argos, though I'd prefer to cheer for the Ottawa team if they didn't have the worst name in pro sports (yes, even Pelicans and Browns are less bad) .

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
The name is embarrassing, the all caps is doubly embarrassing. Even profootballtalk.com made fun of them the other day. (article was about Ottawa scouting nfl cuts)

Typical case of an owner having a terrible idea and none of the yes men and sycophants that work for him had the guts to tell him the truth.

Honestly, I can't even cheer for them. I'll have to stick with the argos, though I'd prefer to cheer for the Ottawa team if they didn't have the worst name in pro sports (yes, even Pelicans and Browns are less bad) .

Browns is a good name tho.

Pelicans is probably the worst name in sports just because New Orleans Pelicans sounds absolutely disgusting.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
it's not so bad it's the logo that stinks i was looking at hats and they are just not cool at all.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
They have a great alternate logo.

rmcJxyA.gif

Robik Karlner

Aug 4, 2013
Ottawa
Hey hey hey I like the name Redblacks. Has anyone watched the video explaining the name? The colour red and black has always been a colour that the city of Ottawa has used in sports (especially hockey) for hundreds of years.

I didn't like the name when I first heard it, but it's grown on me...kind of like the "Canadian Tire Centre".

I don't know much about football, but I'm telling you guys right now, I'm excited for the first Ottawa Redblacks season.

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Hey hey hey I like the name Redblacks. Has anyone watched the video explaining the name? The colour red and black has always been a colour that the city of Ottawa has used in sports (especially hockey) for hundreds of years.

I didn't like the name when I first heard it, but it's grown on me...kind of like the "Canadian Tire Centre".

I don't know much about football, but I'm telling you guys right now, I'm excited for the first Ottawa Redblacks season.

Regardless of the history behind the name, it's still very boring.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I concur. This should be mandatory and immediate.

Get it done mods. Every other NHL city has a ton of stickied OT threads for their other teams, finally it's our turn.

Good call, sir!

BTW - are you still going to be a "saskriders" fan next season?

I second this notion.

Just bumping this idea.

Would make the thread easier to find, especially during the offseason.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

So I guess if the Sens changed their name you'd flip back to cheering for the leafs too? :rolleyes:

Honestly, fans like you drive me nuts. The owner chose a name HE FELT was reflective of Ottawa and Ottawa sports. You can agree or disagree all you want, but to not support it over what it's called is an absolute farce and a disgrace to fans everywhere. :help:

I may not love the name, but I'm pumped for Ottawa to finally be getting back into the summer sports circuit. I bought the apparel and will be there from day 1 to the end (if applicable). I'll be first in line for a jersey, and I'll be there for wins and losses.

Have we forgotten how to support a sports team that isn't called the Senators Ottawa?

Pitlick*

Ed, you rip me for wanting to remain an Argos fan because I dislike something about the new Ottawa football team. And yet, you remain a Sabres fan, living in Ottawa.

My response to your post: right back at you, pal! You took the same approach to hockey as I am taking to football. Why didn't you become a Sens fan?

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Ed, you rip me for wanting to remain an Argos fan because I dislike something about the new Ottawa football team. And yet, you remain a Sabres fan, living in Ottawa.

My response to your post: right back at you, pal! You took the same approach to hockey as I am taking to football. Why didn't you become a Sens fan?

You say you WANT to cheer for Ottawa but can't and have to stick with the Argos. If you really WANTED to, you wouldn't think about the Argos.

The name is atrocious but I am not going to think of another CFL team next year. It's going to be Ottawa.

We have 1 thing in common and 1 big difference between you and all of us. It's very clear we all dislike the name, but the difference is next year, we'll all be OTTAWA fans, and you'll have your Argos. Check out the LEAFS board to see if they have a precious ARGOS thread for you.

Pitlick*

Good lord, people get upset easily over nothing. As if which CFL team I cheer for is somehow important. Yes, a stupid name can prevent me from cheering for a team! Give them a non embarrassing name and I'll try cheering for the team as well as the Argos.

I already visit the leafs board for blue jays talk. Are you okay that I cheer for the jays?

I love the sens, but I didn't grow up in Ottawa, so I feel no obligation to the minor league football team. I'm far more of an nfl fan.

I'll enjoy seeing your sad faces when the Argos embarrass the redbacks at Lansdowne. :nod:;)

M4TR1X

Dec 1, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Good lord, people get upset easily over nothing. As if which CFL team I cheer for is somehow important. Yes, a stupid name can prevent me from cheering for a team! Give them a non embarrassing name and I'll try cheering for the team as well as the Argos.

I already visit the leafs board for blue jays talk. Are you okay that I cheer for the jays?

I love the sens, but I didn't grow up in Ottawa, so I feel no obligation to the minor league football team. I'm far more of an nfl fan.

I'll enjoy seeing your sad faces when the Argos embarrass the redbacks at Lansdowne. :nod:;)

Upset? No. Annoyed? Yes.

No rude intentions here, but no one here wants to hear about the Argos in a REDBLACKS thread, unless a game occurred, a trade, or a signing etc.

I don't care which teams you cheer for. I don't want to read of you not wanting to cheer for the Redblacks because of their name or about how you cheer for the Argos.

Pitlick*

Just watch me...

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGOOOOOSSSSSS!

All-caps for the REDBACKERS. See how annoying all-caps is?

;):D

" I don't want to read of you not wanting to cheer for the Redblacks because of their name or about how you cheer for the Argos." TIME TO PUT ME ON IGNORE LIST?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

Like say what a team is named? The hypocrisy of the REDBLACKS haters is hilarious. :laugh:

I didn't NOT cheer for the sens because of their freaking name, or colours, or fans, or culture. All of that is unique and great. Just like the REDBLACKS will be. I cheered for the Sabres cause I fell for their great mid-2000s lineup and wanted to follow my favourite players of the day.

Your problem is that you are literally basing your fan-dom off the most superficial of measures...team identity. "I don't like the way this sounds, so I guess I will cheer against it!" It's a literal definition of knee-jerk, fairweather fandom, which is the anti-thesis of a group of fans such as those found on HFboards.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
The CFL team could be called the 'whatevers' and I wouldn't care. Plenty of teams with stupid pro-team names (i've grown to like RedBlacks), such as the Penguins, Raptors, Wizards, Predators, two out 7 Canadian NHL teams that have a similar patriotic name, etc.

If people can get over having a silly centurion for the Sens logo (Ottawa has ZERO connection to Rome, unlike say Vikings to Scandinavia), then surely RedBlacks should not be an issue.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not a fan of the name either & I'm hearing about it here in southern, Ontario they are all making fun of the name. But I watch football because I like football & have watched & played it most of my life. The name won't stop me from going to games, I will again have season tickets, even though I'm really a TIGER-CAT fan.

I expect as a franchise team they will take a few yrs to be competitive, look how long it took the Sens to be competitive. I expect some crappy football for a while but it will be fun just to sit down at the park & watch a game. It's one of the nicest locations in the CFL to watch a game from the North stands looking out onto the canal. Anyway I wish them luck, they are going to need it.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not a fan of the name either & I'm hearing about it here in southern, Ontario they are all making fun of the name. But I watch football because I like football & have watched & played it most of my life. The name won't stop me from going to games, I will again have season tickets, even though I'm really a TIGER-CAT fan.

I expect as a franchise team they will take a few yrs to be competitive, look how long it took the Sens to be competitive. I expect some crappy football for a while but it will be fun just to sit down at the park & watch a game. It's one of the nicest locations in the CFL to watch a game from the North stands looking out onto the canal. Anyway I wish them luck, they are going to need it.

This. This is the attitude that should be more abundant. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad