CCHL 2016/2017 Season

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Rumour is they also signed james buckley from the marlies I guess that u18 program they have isn't producing quality players

They protected James Buckley in the 2015 Bantam Draft so he belonged to them prior to his spending a year in the GTHL.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
I think each team can sign 2 16 year olds....

I agree that they each start with 2 cards, but I also think they can trade them and carry more than 2. But I also recall the rules changed in the past few years so maybe not.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I agree that they each start with 2 cards, but I also think they can trade them and carry more than 2. But I also recall the rules changed in the past few years so maybe not.

Cornwall had three 16yr olds last year so it must be possible. I know old Jr.B each team started with two cards then cards could be sold to other teams.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Cornwall had three 16yr olds last year so it must be possible. I know old Jr.B each team started with two cards then cards could be sold to other teams.

Yeah, it's coming back to me a bit. A few years ago 16 year old cards could be traded (sold) between Jr A and Jr B. That was some kind of pilot and when it ended they removed that.

So like you say, a team can probably still trade for an extra Jr A 16 year old card.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Yeah, it's coming back to me a bit. A few years ago 16 year old cards could be traded (sold) between Jr A and Jr B. That was some kind of pilot and when it ended they removed that.

So like you say, a team can probably still trade for an extra Jr A 16 year old card.

Before they were just 16 year old cards that could be used in either league. You can't switch leagues anymore because they have A and B cards now.

Sensbethebest

Jun 29, 2016
Ottawa
Lots of imports getting signed - not too many HEO U18 players ??????????

Most teams are having camps through the summer and I do not remember teams announcing signings of local kids last year. There is not a requirement to announce that I know of??

Sensbethebest

Jun 29, 2016
Ottawa
Jacob Smith played for the U18 team... so one.

But the league is still 65% imports so U18 makes little difference other than revenue.

Let's see after the off season with these guys getting stronger. The HEO season gave players the opportunity to show possibility but the off season and continued development is what gets them there.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Let's see after the off season with these guys getting stronger. The HEO season gave players the opportunity to show possibility but the off season and continued development is what gets them there.

Kids have always got stronger in the off season......why are you making it sound like this is new because of U18

upinarms

Jul 16, 2010
Most teams are having camps through the summer and I do not remember teams announcing signings of local kids last year. There is not a requirement to announce that I know of??

I think you are correct. Teams do not need to announce anything. But logic says the more imports ( players from outside HEO ) that are announced the less spots left for HEO players.

Sensbethebest

Jun 29, 2016
Ottawa
Kids have always got stronger in the off season......why are you making it sound like this is new because of U18

In past years if you were not protected by a CCHL team the thought of playing Major Midget or Junior B was it. Lots of Kids packed it in. Some of those who didn't pack it in would be motivated to workout to be able to play CCHL. My thoughts are there are even more now given the closer connection to the CCHL team. At the end of this season theyt would have been rtold what to do to get to the next level. This didn't happen 2 years ago, unless you were already protected.

The HEO AAA structure gives kids more opportunities to get to the CCHL. If they take this opportunity and work hard they will have a chance.

Having said thuis the CCHL will continue to grab kids from outside of league territory so that they can attract the scouts, which attracts the kids, etc.

BadgerKnight

Sep 4, 2008
How many teams have had their main camps already. I know Nepean and Brockville have had their camp

I believe 8 teams have had their opening camps - Brockville; Carleton Place; Cumberland June 3;
Hawkesbury June 24; Kanata; Nepean; Ottawa May 28 & Pembroke June 24.

Kemptville is upcoming this weekend and I have no knowledge of the remaining teams - Cornwall;
Gloucester & Smiths Falls.

Other readers can add dates of the unknown or correct any of the teams that I thought had their camps.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I believe 8 teams have had their opening camps - Brockville; Carleton Place; Cumberland June 3;
Hawkesbury June 24; Kanata; Nepean; Ottawa May 28 & Pembroke June 24.

Kemptville is upcoming this weekend and I have no knowledge of the remaining teams - Cornwall;
Gloucester & Smiths Falls.

Other readers can add dates of the unknown or correct any of the teams that I thought had their camps.

Cornwall had their import and prospect camp mid-May and hasn't run a July camp past few years. The owner/coach is a true believer of trying to have as many local players as possible and he is good at filling in weak spots with a few imports. They missed out on playoffs last year due to going younger and more local but should have a solid team this year.

Gloucester and Smiths Falls had spring camps as well but not clue if they hold summer camps.

Last edited:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
New school/hockey program

Is CCHL teams going to force their players to switch high schools and take this new program? I see Brockville and Cornwall have agreements with their local high schools. Brockville article said it would cost $3000 but I don't see the point when I already pay school tax to send school and a player is paying roughly $6000 for hockey. Add to it the extra expense for players out of town to drive to school, not every player has their own car at 17 years old. Cornwall article said it is open to any student in school so what is that skill level going to be?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Is CCHL teams going to force their players to switch high schools and take this new program? I see Brockville and Cornwall have agreements with their local high schools. Brockville article said it would cost $3000 but I don't see the point when I already pay school tax to send school and a player is paying roughly $6000 for hockey. Add to it the extra expense for players out of town to drive to school, not every player has their own car at 17 years old. Cornwall article said it is open to any student in school so what is that skill level going to be?

They do not care. Just another revenue stream.

417hockey

Oct 3, 2014
Our HEO kids are either good enough or they're not
I agree to a point but you also have to understand each team needs
To be as competitive as possible
It's up to our own kids to work hard and achieve a spot.
No one is entitled to anything

Everyone needs to get that through their heads

If my kids not good enough to make it so be it
He will work that much harder for next year

Deal with the process and earn a spot
Or pack it in and quit complaining

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Our HEO kids are either good enough or they're not
I agree to a point but you also have to understand each team needs
To be as competitive as possible
It's up to our own kids to work hard and achieve a spot.
No one is entitled to anything

Everyone needs to get that through their heads

If my kids not good enough to make it so be it
He will work that much harder for next year

Deal with the process and earn a spot
Or pack it in and quit complaining
You are not wrong but a 12 team midget league that is weak is not the best way to develop talent for your Jr A league.
The CCHL is not about development it is about winning and I am fine with that just be honest about it and get out of minor hockey.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
You are not wrong but a 12 team midget league that is weak is not the best way to develop talent for your Jr A league.
The CCHL is not about development it is about winning and I am fine with that just be honest about it and get out of minor hockey.

Explain then why not more AAA players from 5 teams didn't make one of the 12 CCHL teams in previous years? Because they are not Jr.A caliber and that is the plain fact. If CCHL wasn't about winning then who would want their kids to play there? MHL pays their players for a reason.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
So there's approx 80 plus players that played HEOMAAA last season with the same or better numbers than Pruneau plus he is listed as 5'9" @ 146lbs. Am I missing something? Are the 80 from the HEOMAAA signed as well?

I don't think we should be analyzing specific players but you are right, there are players from u18 last year that are equal or greater. If this happens more often, then future u18 players might just decide to go back to B Rep or even try CPJHL.

Seems like CCHL only announce imports in summer and never local kids but I guess they want them to work hard in main camp and earn it which is the way it should be for all players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad