GDT: CBJ vs Minnesota: 90s Throwback Night

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Well, I fault Tarasov for the third goal. Do your damn job for 60 minutes. Should have had that one.
It’s on Provorov. The turnover is bad. But Danforth is not off the hook either. What’s “funny” about it is that they put Danforth out there instead of Bemstrom for that last shift with 91 and 96.

At the 6 second mark of this clip, Jiricek is dropping back into the zone to get a D to D pass. Provorov gets baited into going off the boards to Johnson, and the Wild player intercepts it. Because of this Jiricek is not in position. When Jiricek realizes Provorov tuned it over, at the 8/9 second mark he has no good way of controlling the gap of the other Wild player coming into the zone. As a result he gets caught “flat footed” and walked before Tarasov is beat with the shot. Obviously frustrated he pushes the net off at the 15 second mark.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s on Provorov. The turnover is bad. But Danforth is not off the hook either. What’s “funny” about it is that they put Danforth out there instead of Bemstrom for that last shift with 91 and 96.

At the 6 second mark of this clip, Jiricek is dropping back into the zone to get a D to D pass. Provorov gets baited into going off the boards to Johnson, and the Wild player intercepts it. Because of this Jiricek is not in position. When Jiricek realizes Provorov tuned it over, at the 8/9 second mark he has no good way of controlling the gap of the other Wild player coming into the zone. As a result he gets caught “flat footed” and walked before Tarasov is beat with the shot. Obviously frustrated he pushes the net off at the 15 second mark.

You might guess that they put Danforth out there for the draw. He's a legitimately good defensive player - I don't know if you saw his great backcheck tonight. Though I'd be very comfortable with Bemstrom out there, maybe even including Bemstrom on the draw.

Jiricek for his part continues to backup after the giveaway. He is responsible for that bad gap. If he took a step or two forward before backing up he would have been in the right spot.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
You might guess that they put Danforth out there for the draw. He's a legitimately good defensive player - I don't know if you saw his great backcheck tonight. Though I'd be very comfortable with Bemstrom out there, maybe even including Bemstrom on the draw.
Oh I don’t care that Danforth is out there. It’s just funny to me because the whole thing is like Burnt Toast Theory - and the catastrophic event is us winning.
Reference:
Jiricek for his part continues to backup after the giveaway. He is responsible for that bad gap. If he took a step or two forward before backing up he would have been in the right spot.
I’ve gone back and forth on that, but IMO if he transitions from backwards skating into forward and takes two strides, that Wild player will have a breakaway because it would force Jiricek to have to pivot again in order to play defense. I don’t think he has that pivoting ability, yet.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Last night was (former) Whipping Boy Night..Silly with the hatty, Boqvist & Bean with the assists.

Reactions: koteka

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019
Tough loss. Danforth should have scored, or at least not missed the cage.

CBJ are not playing bad. As a fan of Texier, I'm frustrated with the minutes he gets, but so far he has not given good reasons to get more. I even thought he would be a healthy scratch given his level right now.
But there are really a lot of interesting young players, and the 86-4-59 line was impressive yesterday. I am still not fully convinced with 13, but he definitely has talent. I really like 91. And wonder how the return of Jenner, Laine and Werenski will affect the team lines. CBJ are not winning yet, but they've never been so close. Maybe they should do a 29-38-42 line

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
This is so very frustrating to watch. But you can see so ,much talent out there on the ice. Now, add Brindley and the team becomes really, really interesting.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You mean to tell me that having a first time head coach at nhl level , and an assistant in McCarthy, who runs your defense that is learning at the NHL level, may result in not the most sound defensive team ? Who would have thunk that ? How Jarmo still collects a paycheck is beyond me

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Tough loss. Danforth should have scored, or at least not missed the cage.

CBJ are not playing bad. As a fan of Texier, I'm frustrated with the minutes he gets, but so far he has not given good reasons to get more. I even thought he would be a healthy scratch given his level right now.
But there are really a lot of interesting young players, and the 86-4-59 line was impressive yesterday. I am still not fully convinced with 13, but he definitely has talent. I really like 91. And wonder how the return of Jenner, Laine and Werenski will affect the team lines. CBJ are not winning yet, but they've never been so close. Maybe they should do a 29-38-42 line
Good post.

And of course by that I mean I agree with your points.🙂

Reactions: tchigo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille