GDT: CBJ vs Florida Panthers 1:00 PM

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not even debateable honestly. Thats the player we are waiting to show up every night and then some

It was just all pure anticipation.

His skating still sucks and he falls over half the time he tries to make contact. His core strength doesn't look right. I would rather he was in the gym in Cleveland.

But it's really hard to complain when he just reads the play faster than everyone else.

Reactions: VT, Bookker and LJ7

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
@majormajor did Johnny “battle hard and retrieve pucks” again ? No points and -3.
15 points in 30 games and -11 ain’t cutting it no matter what excuses we find for him, that’s 41 point pace for a $9.5m man

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I've been saying for years how terrible Gudbranson is and how he keeps stealing paychecks but... I'm totally with him feeding punches to Cousins. Given that we aren't going anywhere in the standings I find it perfectly adequate to exact some street justice for future reference, instead of trying to minimax for an attempt at 2 points at the cost of our players' morale and safety.
Cousins turtles better than the Jackets do when in the lead

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@majormajor did Johnny “battle hard and retrieve pucks” again ? No points and -3.
15 points in 30 games and -11 ain’t cutting it no matter what excuses we find for him, that’s 41 point pace for a $9.5m man

I don't know. He was absolutely flying in the first period. Set up Laine a couple times. After that I don't think he was noticeable. Other than punching Cousins a few times when he was turtling.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I enjoyed what Gudbranson did as a fan. A little donnybrook every now and then is part of why I love hockey.

One comment I am sad to kind of agree with that I saw on social media was the Jackets are so dysfunctional that they couldn’t even properly respond to a bad hit on Gudbranson so he had to get up and take care of it himself.

On the contrary. Gudbranson wanted it himself. He wasn't delegating. He was claiming it.

And when you see Johnny Gaudreau punching a guy who is down on the ice turtling, then that tells you something. I don't think I've ever seen him throw a punch.

I would have liked to see Voronkov take someone out - funny enough he ran the Panthers goalie and the Panthers were too afraid to touch him. I really don't doubt that Voronkov is game for a scrap, he seems to fear no one.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I enjoyed what Gudbranson did as a fan. A little donnybrook every now and then is part of why I love hockey.

On the contrary. Gudbranson wanted it himself. He wasn't delegating. He was claiming it.

And when you see Johnny Gaudreau punching a guy who is down on the ice turtling, then that tells you something. I don't think I've ever seen him throw a punch.

I would have liked to see Voronkov take someone out - funny enough he ran the Panthers goalie and the Panthers were too afraid to touch him. I really don't doubt that Voronkov is game for a scrap, he seems to fear no one.
Voronkov looks like the definition of wanting someone to throw the 1st punch :laugh: although hes extremely valuable on the ice so the coaches probably told him to chill on the penalties. If he would have been on the ice when Gudbranson got hit though... could have been a scene. Be fun to see him go with Bennett, someone who usually just tries to manhandle opponents

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
When Danforth leads your forwards in TOI-and I know he's on the PK-it says something about game management by the coaches. And it's not good.

Reactions: thebus88

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
The initial reaction -- staying down -- from Gudbranson... I think he was just stunned. I think it was a situation where you expect to get injured, and after a few seconds you just realize you're not as bad off as you should have/could have been. So I'm glad he didn't try to milk it and just got up and at 'em.

I've also never seen that exact scenario where a guy gets the Instigator Value Meal in a situation where there aren't enough combatants to actually have a, you know, fight. How can you get called for instigating a fight if there isn't technically a fight?

I have seen, rarely, where one guy drops 'em and starts throwing punches, and the other guy just stands there and takes it and does nothing, and the first guy gets five and a game. But I've never seen the instigator penalty in such a situation.

That said, it was straight up dirty. He wrangled Cousins down to the ground, and then started punching him in the back of the head while he was down. I'm surprised he didn't get an attempt to injure. And didn't even disguise his intentions. He's going to sit for at least a couple of games.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The initial reaction -- staying down -- from Gudbranson... I think he was just stunned. I think it was a situation where you expect to get injured, and after a few seconds you just realize you're not as bad off as you should have/could have been. So I'm glad he didn't try to milk it and just got up and at 'em.

I've also never seen that exact scenario where a guy gets the Instigator Value Meal in a situation where there aren't enough combatants to actually have a, you know, fight. How can you get called for instigating a fight if there isn't technically a fight?

I have seen, rarely, where one guy drops 'em and starts throwing punches, and the other guy just stands there and takes it and does nothing, and the first guy gets five and a game. But I've never seen the instigator penalty in such a situation.

That said, it was straight up dirty. He wrangled Cousins down to the ground, and then started punching him in the back of the head while he was down. I'm surprised he didn't get an attempt to injure. And didn't even disguise his intentions. He's going to sit for at least a couple of games.
Gudbranson reaction after the hit

Cousins reaction after Gudbranson's reaction

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The refs failed the Jackets and Gudbranson there (and honestly Cousins too)

That is very clearly a major penalty. It should have stood and he should have been tossed. Gudbranson was right to take matters into his own hands directly after the hit.

The key part of that sentence is the ending, directly after the hit.

I know Gudbranson had a score to settle and as he told the refs, "this is on you guys." But the premeditated nature made the ensuing penalties for Gudbranson even worse.

That game was winnable. Gudbranson put the team short handed for 7 minutes because he felt like he had to do it. I don't want to call it a selfish play, but its close. Call me soft, call me a wuss, or whatever. But I don't like that we voluntarily gave up 7 minutes worth of the game to kill penalties. It arguably cost us the game.

Again, the refs are at fault here and the guy should have got tossed. That doesn't excuse Gudbranson to just attack the guy whenever he could. That game was winnable, and I know the brawl was entertaining, and I know you have to defend yourself. but IDK man, I don't know if that was the best course of action.

I also don't like that nobody went after Cousins directly after the hit except Gudbranson himself. I know Gudbranson was going for blood afterwards regardless, but I think someone else needed to get in there for him at the start. Or at least approach him.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I hope Vincent will consider him centering Gaudreau and Laine. This is his trial period with Jenner out.
Why? Johnson - Danforth - Laine played well. Johnson and Laine have very good chemistry. They had the best xGoals% - 82,8%, Corsi - 57,1% and Fenwick - 75,0%. Let Johnny plays with Fantilli and Bemstrom. We need three good lines, also Kent should play at least with one excellent player and not wit one one average (Danforth) and one a bit average (Bemstrom).

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Completely deserved, but the refs should receive the same ban as Gudbransson does. They completely lost the game and put players under risk of injury.

And Cousins should be publicly shamed for being a puss. At the very least defend yourself if you like boarding people and running your mouth.

tchigo

Dec 13, 2019
Gudbranson did not care of the game anymore after he got hit. I'm not sure his selfish play cost the game though. The Panthers dominated the full game, and it was one of the first game of the season where the better individual talent and collective organisation of the other team was so noticeable. The differential of time spent in the OZ must be striking (of course there were these 7 min of PK). There was a stat showing that Barkov got only 6 goals against since the start of the season, the next one being at 9 and Herbert at 10.

I woud stick with Greaves, he's been really good. Not a lot of rebounds cause he gloves the pucks and moves well. He's keeping his calm too. I know Merzlinkins played well, but as soon as he gets a goal, it looks like he's less focused and more prone to mistakes.
Werenski needs to find a way to score a goal
Laine was -3 this game, he did not play particularly bad and his shot lead to Voronkov goal, but to say that he played well seems a bit too much.
The Russian line and Fantili were the best offensive elements, the first line was poor and I believe it has more to do with Laine's style of play than with the presence of Danforth.
59 was really great, trying one timers every now and then. They should really try more of them, Laine particularly, as he's supposed to have a crazy shot. People keep complaining he's not in the right position on PP, but how many times did he refuse to take a one timer on the left side this season... When you look at Draisatl goals, seems that all of them are on one timers.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The refs failed the Jackets and Gudbranson there (and honestly Cousins too)

That is very clearly a major penalty. It should have stood and he should have been tossed. Gudbranson was right to take matters into his own hands directly after the hit.

The key part of that sentence is the ending, directly after the hit.

I know Gudbranson had a score to settle and as he told the refs, "this is on you guys." But the premeditated nature made the ensuing penalties for Gudbranson even worse.

That game was winnable. Gudbranson put the team short handed for 7 minutes because he felt like he had to do it. I don't want to call it a selfish play, but its close. Call me soft, call me a wuss, or whatever. But I don't like that we voluntarily gave up 7 minutes worth of the game to kill penalties. It arguably cost us the game.

Again, the refs are at fault here and the guy should have got tossed. That doesn't excuse Gudbranson to just attack the guy whenever he could. That game was winnable, and I know the brawl was entertaining, and I know you have to defend yourself. but IDK man, I don't know if that was the best course of action.

I also don't like that nobody went after Cousins directly after the hit except Gudbranson himself. I know Gudbranson was going for blood afterwards regardless, but I think someone else needed to get in there for him at the start. Or at least approach him.
remember these 2 points if they become the difference in draft lottery position.

Until then it doesn’t bother me.

Reactions: MAHJ71

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It was just all pure anticipation.

His skating still sucks and he falls over half the time he tries to make contact. His core strength doesn't look right. I would rather he was in the gym in Cleveland.

But it's really hard to complain when he just reads the play faster than everyone else.
In the offseason just send him to train with Chinakhov and Voronkov. Dont ask questions, just eat what they say and train how they train.

For this season maybe he can start a "Jiricek down" charity fund

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's pretty unfair. He was -2 in 5x5, and look how many of those were his mistakes. Also don't forget that Florida players had great chances even when other lines were on the ice, Graves just played outstanding.

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
The refs should own that.
Cousins showed what a lil biotch he is. Little turtle.
Disappointed none of the other CBJ skaters came in immediately, but me personally glad Gudy took matters into his own hands
Yeah if someone else on the team takes care of it right away it’s much more likely penalties get magically evened out or at least not 7 min lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad