Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/VAN] Vanek for Jussi Jokinen, Tyler Motte

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Benning: "We've added 2 fast players"

Why couldn't he just say Jokinen was part of the deal for reasons X and that's it. Somehow in a minor deal like this he still managed to make himself look dumb.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Benning: "We've added 2 fast players"

Why couldn't he just say Jokinen was part of the deal for reasons X and that's it. Somehow in a minor deal like this he still managed to make himself look dumb.

He said it in the words he did out of respect to Jokinen. If Benning says it straight out was a dump deal it doesn't look that great going forward if you try to sign players as FA. I know we did that before with reinprecht and he never played as a Canuck.

I think Benning is too respectful almost? I dont like Benning as a trader, I think we needed to transition him into a different role with the team but that didnt happen so we have to see what he can do with his new 3 year deal as GM.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not a cap dump Jokinen makes 900K less than Vanek
If anything we shed some salary

CBS added Cole for a pick earlier. And landed letestu as well. This is likely to free up a contract spot for them. They may need to sign a NCAA player or something before the summer so they likely wanted to remain under the 50 contract limit.

There are plenty of moves when a player is involved to balance the contracts out. That's why a lot of guys go unclaimed on waivers and later traded for in exchange for a pick and player.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
As much as Vanek has a reputation that's some kind of steal for CBJ off a complete moron of a GM.

Quite surprised none of the PP struggling playoff teams would go for Vanek. That's basically what he's good for.

We are a “power play struggling playoff team”.
Jackets are ranked 30th and are in a playoff spot.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If it's true that no picks were offered, it's because GMs know Benning is the league's absolute worst negotiator - as in, he doesn't seem to negotiate at all.
Under-the-table future considerations.

Benning is running the future considerations shadow market!

Alfredo Garcia

Jan 10, 2014
Vancouver
Good post.

Just to add.... Given Benning has a rep on even this hockey forum, I would bet decent money that teams know he's a guy they can maybe pull a fast one on (and possibly lowball)

At the very least, he isn't the most perceptive, patient or intelligent of negotiators... Seems like a decent guy, but he's just not NHL general manager material imo

I find it hard to believe that GM's are thinking this way at the deadline. In most cases, there are multiple teams in on an available trade asset. If there's not, and a GM knows it, sure, they can lowball. BUT, if that was the case here, what was Benning to do? Hang on to Vanek and have him contribute down the stretch and lessen their lottery chances??? No, he took what he could get. It's as if some people think he's intentionally not taking the best deal???

Regardless....., this return may not be great, but i'm going to look on the plus side. First, I don't feel as bad as Bruins fans should feel with the bounty they tossed NYRs for Nash. Unless the cup returns to Beantown this year, that deal was horrendous. The Tatar one wasn't much better btw. Second, this has to be a win for Vancouver for no other reason that JB not tossing in a 2nd to close the deal! :nod:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Motte will be good to have for Gaudette, I guess. Give him some to-dos and some not-to-dos in transitioning to the pro game from college. Maybe Motte can also find some chemistry with Boeser or displace someone like Sam Gagner.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He replied directly to a question that was about this deal and was also asked about Jokinen specifically a moment prior. Im pretty sure he was talking about him.

Not a big deal but funny nonetheless.

“Going forward, we want to be younger, faster,” said Benning. “We want to be harder to play against. I think both Brendan and Tyler they fit the mould of speed and skill and they are competitive guys."

He can't possibly be referring to Jokinen as fast...

Alfredo Garcia

Jan 10, 2014
Vancouver
I believe a competent GM could have at least returned a 4th or 5th for Vanek

I agree! And then all we'd be hearing is "HAHAHAHA, Benning is an idiot! Rick Nash landed blah blah blah and all he got for Vanek was a 5th!!!". Besides, you start getting into 4ths and 5ths and you are in serious dart throw territory! He's taking a shot with a guy who has actually made the NHL!

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Mcilrath had cleared waivers and was in the A. Also is 2 full years older and farther along in his development at the time of the trade vs Motte now.

We had nothing of value to trade, next TDL I have much bigger expectations for Benning. see if he has the balls to get Edler to waive his NTC like he did for other players, plus 2019 draft is in vancouver so best have more picks to be able to move up if they want to make a splash or target a certain player
Yes that’s why I said mcilrath is comparable to motte rather than Jokinen. 2 years older is a lot closer than 9 years older. Not only that Jokinen is 34 making 1.1M which means even in the ahl, 75k goes against the cap. Mcilrath at the time was making 650k.

Jokinen was a pure cap dump. Just like how Detroit held a prorated amount of 1.25M on Vanek.

The point remains though. If Eric Fehr who wasn’t even in Toronto’s system could garner a 7th, Vanek should have at least been able to fetch as much. Not even saying more. Just as much. But Benning said 0 picks were offered to him. Now that has to be because teams know they can walk over Benning and get what they want for what they don’t want. That or Benning is lying once again and just chose an ahl player over a late pick. Unless of course you believe Benning and think he couldn’t even get a 7th for Vanek

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
If it's true that no picks were offered, it's because GMs know Benning is the league's absolute worst negotiator - as in, he doesn't seem to negotiate at all.

Agreed. I still have my doubts about his claim of no draft picks offered because he and Linden have been caught multiple times lying. But if it is the case then it's because the rest of the GMs have zero respect for the idiot and know he'll take whatever waiver bait offered. There are some bad GMs in the NHL right now and Benning is right there along side them.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I agree! And then all we'd be hearing is "HAHAHAHA, Benning is an idiot! Rick Nash landed blah blah blah and all he got for Vanek was a 5th!!!". Besides, you start getting into 4ths and 5ths and you are in serious dart throw territory! He's taking a shot with a guy who has actually made the NHL!

Some people might say that, but not the majority. The price was set on Vanek and instead of a pick they got an older prospect that two teams have now tried out and passed on.

Alfredo Garcia

Jan 10, 2014
Vancouver
“Going forward, we want to be younger, faster,” said Benning. “We want to be harder to play against. I think both Brendan and Tyler they fit the mould of speed and skill and they are competitive guys."

He can't possibly be referring to Jokinen as fast...

Where did Jokinen's name come up in this? It seems pretty clear to me he's speaking of Brendan Leipsic and Tyler Motte no?

decma

Feb 6, 2013
Vanek only matters when it doesn't matter...

Yeah, that seems to be the perception, at least among the talking heads on TSN.

But Vanek actually has higher playoff goals per game and points per game than, for example, Nash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad