Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Drinking age is 18 in Quebec in case people don’t know.

Dumb mistake by a young adult. Learn from it and move on.

I wonder if it makes a US work visa harder. You can’t go into Canada with a DUI on your record for 10 years.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Drinking age is 18 in Quebec in case people don’t know.

Dumb mistake by a young adult. Learn from it and move on.

I wonder if it makes a US work visa harder. You can’t go into Canada with a DUI on your record for 10 years.

He must have been in Nova Scotia where Halifax is and not Quebec. The legal age there is 19 but he’s nearly 20.

There’s a zero tolerance rule with blood alcohol for drivers his age though.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He must have been in Nova Scotia where Halifax is and not Quebec. The legal age there is 19 but he’s nearly 20.

There’s a zero tolerance rule with blood alcohol for drivers his age though.
Fair enough. I knew he played in the QMJHL but I never bothered to pay attention at what team he played for. In any instance the drinking age is lower than the USA. I certainly have no idea how strictly Canada enforces it however.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Fair enough. I knew he played in the QMJHL but I never bothered to pay attention at what team he played for. In any instance the drinking age is lower than the USA. I certainly have no idea how strictly Canada enforces it however.
Depends on where you are. Nova Scotia is pretty hard on it

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

The problem isn't the drinking age. In the US or in Canada, a DUI leads to criminal charges.

My parents' friend got a DUI 15 years ago and got a pardon but still can't enter the US. He was turned over at the border last year.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The problem isn't the drinking age. In the US or in Canada, a DUI leads to criminal charges.

My parents' friend got a DUI 15 years ago and got a pardon but still can't enter the US. He was turned over at the border last year.
Pardons dont mean much in those cases. That said I wonder if there is more to that story, I know plenty of people with DUI's (happen all the time in Sask) and get across the border just fine. Its easier when flying also

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Mateychuk set the new defenseman scoring record for the Warriors tonight.

Was a good game for him. Nothing crazy but he made some Mateychuk type plays and wasnt on for any of the Regina goals that I recall. Felt like he played a lot less than normal which makes sense. 3rd game in 3 nights and the last 2 were against the top team and tonight was against a bottom feeder

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
All I’ll say now is going back and watching Fantilli highlights, Brindley always seemed to stand out. His goal number from his freshman year seemed pretty low in relation to what his shot looked like in highlights.

I’m not surprised by his goal number shooting up so much and Brindley seems to be a VERY intriguing prospect at this point. Maybe not as good/quick of a straight line skater as Atkinson in his prime, but, he looks to be a better player overall, when it comes to shooting and handling the puck, along with passing and OVERALL skating. That said, Atkinson was a very unique PK/“defensive” weapon there for a few years also.

Would look good next to Fantilli and many of our other young offensive players. That said, he’s somebody else who adds to the “logjam” we have for his type of player at forward, imo, even if he adds something a bit different.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
All I’ll say now is going back and watching Fantilli highlights, Brindley always seemed to stand out. His goal number from his freshman year seemed pretty low in relation to what his shot looked like in highlights.

I’m not surprised by his goal number shooting up so much and Brindley seems to be a VERY intriguing prospect at this point. Maybe not as good/quick of a straight line skater as Atkinson in his prime, but, he looks to be a better player overall, when it comes to shooting and handling the puck, along with passing and OVERALL skating. That said, Atkinson was a very unique PK/“defensive” weapon there for a few years also.

Would look good next to Fantilli and many of our other young offensive players. That said, he’s somebody else who adds to the “logjam” we have for his type of player at forward, imo, even if he adds something a bit different.
We do not have a logjam of high compete energy players at all

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
In general, we have it at the winger position no matter what.

He’s still the same “type”. I’m looking at him as a “goal scorer” more than anything at this point. I see him competing with Chinakhov/Marchenko/Johnson etc for PP time.

He’s not some Josh Anderson or even Calvert type physical presence, or have the potential to be like Voronkov, unless I’m missing something.

I don’t want to get into a semantics debate, but essentially EVERY player playing any sort of worthwhile role should be “high compete energy players”, just with VARYING levels of offensive ability or “skill”.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

Players? No. Prospects? Brindley, Dumais, Malatesta, Whitelaw, TF-W, etc are all in that shorter, going to outwork work you mold. Personally I would think Brindley is the best of that group by a fair margin.

Reactions: CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
In general, we have it at the winger position no matter what.

He’s still the same “type”. I’m looking at him as a “goal scorer” more than anything at this point. I see him competing with Chinakhov/Marchenko/Johnson etc for PP time.

He’s not some Josh Anderson or even Calvert type physical presence, or have the potential to be like Voronkov, unless I’m missing something.

I don’t want to get into a semantics debate, but essentially EVERY player playing any sort of worthwhile role should be “high compete energy players”, just with VARYING levels of offensive ability or “skill”.
Should but thats not how it works. We dont have many disruptive forecheckers. Sure he wont lay people out but if he becomes an everyday NHLer hes going to make his opponents miserable. We need more puck hounds, he has that upside, he just also happens to be skilled. The NHL literally used to deploy energy lines, hes that type of guy but if the offense hits hes that guy in the top 6

Reactions: majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Players? No. Prospects? Brindley, Dumais, Malatesta, Whitelaw, TF-W, etc are all in that shorter, going to outwork work you mold. Personally I would think Brindley is the best of that group by a fair margin.
I feel like Brindley and Malatesta are the only 2 in that category with Brindley having much more offense and creativity while Malatesta has more edge. Dumais beats you with his mind and vision. Whitelaw I still dont know about and TFW I had hoped was that guy but just looks like a small skill guy now that cant keep up in the NHL

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Should but thats not how it works. We dont have many disruptive forecheckers. Sure he wont lay people out but if he becomes an everyday NHLer hes going to make his opponents miserable. We need more puck hounds, he has that upside, he just also happens to be skilled. The NHL literally used to deploy energy lines, hes that type of guy but if the offense hits hes that guy in the top 6
Thus my comparison to Atkinson and my added/edited comments about him being a PK/defensive weapon, which he also brought on the forecheck etc.

But, we are still talking 30-40 goal “top line” Atkinson. Which I believe Brindley seems to have to potential for and would have him competing for time with all the other guys we have.

You’re misinterpreting it if you’re taking anything as a “slight” to Brindley. My point is that with all the young offensive guys ALONG with still paying Laine/Gaudreau what we are, and what THEY bring to the ice, some tough decision’s aka moves/trades are going to need to be made. That doesn’t mean I think Brindley should be one of the guys to be moved.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Thus my comparison to Atkinson and my added/edited comments about him being a PK/defensive weapon, which he also brought on the forecheck etc.

But, we are still talking 30-40 goal “top line” Atkinson. Which I believe Brindley seems to have to potential for and would have him competing for time with all the other guys we have.

You’re misinterpreting it if you’re taking anything as a “slight” to Brindley. My point is that with all the young offensive guys ALONG with still paying Laine/Gaudreau what we are, and what THEY bring to the ice, some tough decision’s aka moves/trades are going to need to be made. That doesn’t mean I think Brindley should be one of the guys to be moved.
Im more saying Brindley can fill any number of roles from support in the top 6 or energy in the middle 6. Im not sure how his offense will translate so before give it time before I worry about there being enough room for guys. I doubt Laine is here for the long haul and to believe Johnson and/or 1 of the Russians or gone someday is obviously not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe an oppurtunity arises someday like Tkachuk to Florida did and we take care of 2 problems at once. We have players teams would be interested in but I dont think we are at the stage yet we have to move them just to move them, a new GM is going to have some form of evaluation period.

These things are why I like the idea of Cayden Lindstrom as a draft target if we dont go someone like Dickinson. A big power forward whether hes a center or not brings something we can use

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00