Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Like Laine (or Bjorkstrand of the past and/or any other POTENTIALLY successful offensive NHL player/shooter) it’s not up to Torts or the team to “give” Chinakhov space.

The other teams aren’t gonna give him/them anything. They need to make, take, or find “space” themselves.

Simply CBJ roster/depth chart wise, NOBODY should be handed anything.

Reactions: Michigan Magic

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Those were some nice snipes by Chinakhov. If I were to nitpick something, it would be that it would be nice to see him score from somewhere other than that same right circle area.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Just my opinion but I hope they start Sillinger and Chinakov in Cleveland - unless they are far and away better than other players on the Columbus roster. If that is the case we have other issues on our Roster.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Just my opinion but I hope they start Sillinger and Chinakov in Cleveland - unless they are far and away better than other players on the Columbus roster. If that is the case we have other issues on our Roster.
isn't he still in the whl ? can he play in the ahl.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
That is what Jarmo said he would like to do with the kids when he was hired, let them develop in the AHL
It is what he did with Werenski and Bjorkstrand

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Werenski joined for 7 games and a playoff run, after UM ended… not to develop.

That response is off base. If he wasn't developing in Cleveland he would have joined the Jackets after his college days.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
That response is off base. If he wasn't developing in Cleveland he would have joined the Jackets after his college days.
If the Jackets were in the playoffs, Werenski probably goes there instead of Cleveland. He was more than ready for the NHL.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Baloney
He got valuable playoff experience
Which is what clubs will do
You said Jarmo “let them develop in the AHL.”

Werenski played 24 games. Bjorkstrand played 105. That is a HUGE difference.

Werenski signed a PTO contract with the Monsters for the playoff run? Why? Because the monsters had more games to play and it would not burn a year of his ELC. Johnny Gaudreau burnt the first year of his entry level contract by playing in just one NHL game (Calgary didn’t qualify for the playoffs) following his junior season at Boston College in 2012-2013. Werenski signed March 29th, when the Jackets only had 6 more games remaining. If the Jackets were in a playoff spot he would have been with the big club.

Last edited:

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
You said Jarmo “let them develop in the AHL.”

Werenski played 24 games. Bjorkstrand played 105. That is a HUGE difference.

Werenski signed a PTO contract with the Monsters for the playoff run? Why? Because the monsters had more games to play and it would not burn a year of his ELC. Johnny Gaudreau burnt the first year of his entry level contract by playing in just one NHL game (Calgary didn’t qualify for the playoffs) following his junior season at Boston College in 2012-2013. Werenski signed March 29th, when the Jackets only had 6 more games remaining. If the Jackets were in a playoff spot he would have been with the big club.
It’s not a huge difference if he played in the AHL playoffs to gain experience
You can develop players in different ways
And yes, Jarmo did say it when he was first hired

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
It’s not a huge difference if he played in the AHL playoffs to gain experience
You can develop players in different ways
And yes, Jarmo did say it when he was first hired
At this point I’m not sure what you’re even arguing. Are you saying that one playoff run is equivalent to letting someone ‘develop in the NHL?’ Are you suggesting Werenski was not ready for the NHL before the 24 games in Cleveland?? I disagree completely.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
At this point I’m not sure what you’re even arguing. Are you saying that one playoff run is equivalent to letting someone ‘develop in the NHL?’ Are you suggesting Werenski was not ready for the NHL before the 24 games in Cleveland?? I disagree completely.
My only point is that Jarmo said he wanted young players to develop in the AHL
I’m not the one arguing

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Why Chinakhov plays with number 59 .

— Почему играете под 59-м номером?

— В МХЛ хотел взять 19-й, но было нельзя и решил взять 59-й. Это номер Пермского региона. Я там жил в детстве и встал на коньки, когда мне было четыре года. Потом смотрел, как играет мой отец. Хоккей мне понравился с самого начала, никто не тянул туда за уши — я сам им загорелся. Чисто мой выбор.

- Why do you play number 59?
- I wanted to play number 19 in MHL, but I couldn't so I decided to play number 59. It's the number for the Perm region. I lived there as a kid and got on skates when I was four. Then I was watching my father play. I has liked hockey from the start, no one "dragged me there by my ears" - I got interested in it myself. Purely my choice.

"dragged me there by my ears" - in this case it means that nobody forced him to play hockey

Главное открытие сезона КХЛ. Молодой форвард будет лидером сборной России на ее первом турнире с февраля

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Cole Sillinger and Yegor Chinakhov deliver: 10 observations from the Blue Jackets' perfect run in Traverse City

The Athletic caught up with one scout who watched all three of Chinakhov’s games. We promised anonymity in exchange for an honest critique:
“With six goals in three games, you might suggest he’s a scorer, right? Duh. Really, he’s a shooter first and foremost. A good passer, but I would not say a playmaker, per se. Very good power and quickness in his stride, but would not say his top speed is overwhelming. He tends to be the third guy high in the offensive zone, which is a shooter’s norm. He’s not likely to be the guy retrieving pucks in the offensive zone.
“I have limited exposure to this player, but would say — after three games — he’s a high-end top-nine (forward) in the NHL with lots of power play time, which is where he really seems to excel. If his two-way play and consistency evolve, he will likely become a top six.
“There are no NHL goaltenders to face here (in Traverse City) and his time-and-space adjustment in the NHL will take time. But he should be good with (Zach) Werenski on that power play.”

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Cole Sillinger and Yegor Chinakhov deliver: 10 observations from the Blue Jackets' perfect run in Traverse City

The Athletic caught up with one scout who watched all three of Chinakhov’s games. We promised anonymity in exchange for an honest critique:
“With six goals in three games, you might suggest he’s a scorer, right? Duh. Really, he’s a shooter first and foremost. A good passer, but I would not say a playmaker, per se. Very good power and quickness in his stride, but would not say his top speed is overwhelming. He tends to be the third guy high in the offensive zone, which is a shooter’s norm. He’s not likely to be the guy retrieving pucks in the offensive zone.
“I have limited exposure to this player, but would say — after three games — he’s a high-end top-nine (forward) in the NHL with lots of power play time, which is where he really seems to excel. If his two-way play and consistency evolve, he will likely become a top six.
“There are no NHL goaltenders to face here (in Traverse City) and his time-and-space adjustment in the NHL will take time. But he should be good with (Zach) Werenski on that power play.”
Can't say I disagree at this point, but frankly put I'm not so concerned about his consistency and two-way play than I am of his passing skills. He's a finisher and power play will be his bread and butter if he's ever going to make a career in NHL, so I'd recommend to focus on developing passing, receiving pucks on the boards, or just in general making more finesse, good little plays in other tight areas of the ice that can significantly increase the amount of scoring chances the team will get on 5vs5 and special teams. Luckily we have McCudden in the staff who's specialized to teach that technical stuff and is arguably good at it. There are enough players in the roster who can do the grinding and retrieving part, I don't think we need everyone to become copies of Jenner and Bjorkstrand.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
:huh::huh:

Bjorkstrand is one if not the most skilled offensive player on the team and excels in all the things you said you want Chinakov to learn...
Well I guess that means we see his skillset differently. IMO Bjorkstrand doesn't have elite puck skills. At least Voracek, Roslovic, Werenski and Nyquist are better making small space passes near the boards than Bjorkstrand. But he is smart, strong, has good work ethic and his offensive game is very advanced in all aspects. I think he's a great top 6 forward but ideally not among first players to put on your 1st pp's halfwall or down low spot.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Well I guess that means we see his skillset differently. IMO Bjorkstrand doesn't have elite puck skills. At least Voracek, Roslovic, Werenski and Nyquist are better making small space passes near the boards than Bjorkstrand. But he is smart, strong, has good work ethic and his offensive game is very advanced in all aspects. I think he's a great top 6 forward but ideally not among first players to put on your 1st pp's halfwall or down low spot.
To say Bjorkstrand doesn't have "elite" puck skills is a nitpik, and a disservice to the rest of his game. He is a solid all around player and most definitely can play those spots on the 1st PP. Elite is a term that gets tossed around way to loosely anymore.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
To say Bjorkstrand doesn't have "elite" puck skills is a nitpik, and a disservice to the rest of his game. He is a solid all around player and most definitely can play those spots on the 1st PP. Elite is a term that gets tossed around way to loosely anymore.
This discussion isn't going to any fruitful direction as long as we don't have any video evidence. I lack vocabulary and language skills to elaborate my point explicitly enough that he doesn't have elite puck skills, which is admittedly, a vague expression. However, I really don't understand how stating my opinion that he is not the best player in his team in all situations or details of the game is a disservice to him.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3