Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
NHL.com article about Mateychuk: CHL notebook: Blue Jackets prospect Mateychuk getting noticed on, off ice
Maybe it's just me but I found this image funny and wanted to share:

jfqbudxmrx6bksalay3h.jpg

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
OK so two Sergei Ivanov things...

1 - Admiral lost today and Sergei took the loss. The box score was weird.

Demchenko played 37+ minutes stopping 20 of 22
Ivanov played 20 minutes stopping 7 of 8

Opponent scored two in first period and one in second period. Admirals scored two in third to lose 3-2. My guess is Demchenko played first period giving up two goals, then Ivanov played second period giving up a goal and then Demchenko came back for the third period blanking them in 17+ more minutes.

2 -

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
OK so two Sergei Ivanov things...

1 - Admiral lost today and Sergei took the loss. The box score was weird.

Demchenko played 37+ minutes stopping 20 of 22
Ivanov played 20 minutes stopping 7 of 8

Opponent scored two in first period and one in second period. Admirals scored two in third to lose 3-2. My guess is Demchenko played first period giving up two goals, then Ivanov played second period giving up a goal and then Demchenko came back for the third period blanking them in 17+ more minutes.

2 -

Pretty sure this is incorrect. His deal ends in 24/25.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Reactions: CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I counted 7 or 8 shot attempts. 2 of them were quality chances from the slot and one a failed wraparound attempt on wide open net.
yeah he was pretty choked over the wraparound miss :laugh:. I only got to see the last 10 or so minutes of the 3rd but he did lots of Mateychuk things in those 10 minutes

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Do you think he’s NHL ready?
Yes. There will be growing pains like any defenseman but you could swap Bean for him and probably get better or atleast equal results. Will be a big summer for him but I think the team will have a real hard time sending him down. Only thing they may try to avoid is bringing Mateychuk and Jiricek in at the same time so its possible he starts in the AHL to get his feet wet and do what NJ did with Hughes/Nemec. I doubt Jiricek goes down again regardless

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Yes. There will be growing pains like any defenseman but you could swap Bean for him and probably get better or atleast equal results. Will be a big summer for him but I think the team will have a real hard time sending him down. Only thing they may try to avoid is bringing Mateychuk and Jiricek in at the same time so its possible he starts in the AHL to get his feet wet and do what NJ did with Hughes/Nemec. I doubt Jiricek goes down again regardless
I really doubt he would be playing equally well or better this year than Bean if judged by points, CF%, FF% and xGF% at 5v5.

Next year however is a question mark. I think he could look fine in short stretches vs favorable matchups but suspect he could do it consistently for 40+ games. Even if his puck handling had improved remarkably over the summer, he would still need to learn how to defend against pros, which I'm afraid can be only achieved by playing against pros.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I really doubt he would be playing equally well or better this year than Bean if judged by points, CF%, FF% and xGF% at 5v5.

Next year however is a question mark. I think he could look fine in short stretches vs favorable matchups but suspect he could do it consistently for 40+ games. Even if his puck handling had improved remarkably over the summer, he would still need to learn how to defend against pros, which I'm afraid can be only achieved by playing against pros.
Hence the growing pains comment, noone is immune to it. Would Mateychuks lows be lower? Yeah most likely. But I think his highs could be higher. Even Bean who is a multi year pro has those issues. Hes fine but not someone I think will hold a prospect like Mateychuk back for very long

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Sergei Ivanov stops 39 of 40 in a 6-1 rout of playoff bound Traktor. He still has the 5th best Save percentage in the league (and a whopping 19th in GAA...man that team's possession numbers must really suck).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad