Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There were times he looked disinterested somewhat like last year but its august so whatever. There were also points where he was really aggresive and was a puck hound. I didnt watch the whole game but his passes are crazy underrated IMO. I remember posters last year saying why cant we do that when the other team has a PP and they make cross ice passes making everyone move but our guys always got intercepted and cleared down the ice... well I dont think its long before Dubois takes Folignos role by the net to either bang down low or move a bit higher to make passes and get the D moving

I agree on Dubois' little passes. People get caught up waiting for him to physically dominate, they don't notice what he does with ease.

But why is Foligno the guy people most suggest moving off the PP?
Hockeyanalysis is down so I can't check the current stats, and I'm sure it's no longer the case given the PP second half slump, but there was a point last winter when Foligno led the league over a three year span in PP scoring rate. A three year span! I'd say he's good at it, wouldn't you agree?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
There were times he looked disinterested somewhat like last year but its august so whatever.
He's collecting his energy for Torts survival camp. :) Agree about his passes, that assist for 4th goal was sick. He's also on 1st PP unit i believe.

My mom's American, but I don't like the American hockey team," said Pierre-Luc Dubois, who had a goal and an assist. "Playing against them at the U17, U18, U20 and losing last year to them, even though it's the middle of the summer, losing is not fun especially against the Americans."

Dubois to Montreal for Galchenyuk is confirmed. :D

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree on Dubois' little passes. People get caught up waiting for him to physically dominate, they don't notice what he does with ease.

But why is Foligno the guy people most suggest moving off the PP?
Hockeyanalysis is down so I can't check the current stats, and I'm sure it's no longer the case given the PP second half slump, but there was a point last winter when Foligno led the league over a three year span in PP scoring rate. A three year span! I'd say he's good at it, wouldn't you agree?

1st thought is about hockeyanalysis... is it down or is it done? I tried to look a couple days ago and was pretty bummed.

The PP is basically who on the unit is he most like and who would he bumped down. I originally thought Wennberg but I feel like (and this ties into a post you made a few days ago) Torts may try loading up an offensive line and give them lots of zone starts on so on and I believe that carries over to the PP and they really hope they can find some magic between he and Panarin.
I also thought about Atkinson but hes up high and is a shooter, Dubois has a rocket one timer but was more reluctant to use it last year. I hope he doesnt settle in as a pure playmaker like Thornton, Johansen and Getzlaf (who is up and down) because like Johansen and Getzlaf especially he has the ability to shoot and score so he needs to use that but doesnt seem to want to at this stage.
That brought me to Foligno and its not an easy choice and obviously it wouldnt be right away and it will be up to Dubois to push him down. Right now Foligno has great hands but more importantly more determination down low and more willing to battle. I think Dubois will gain that in time but is also a better passer and finisher. If his compete level can get anywhere near guys like Foligno, Jenner, Dubi, Calvert he will be a beast.

All this is just something that I think will happen in time, not really what Im asking for. If I got my way Jones would be on the 1st unit :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
1st thought is about hockeyanalysis... is it down or is it done? I tried to look a couple days ago and was pretty bummed.

The PP is basically who on the unit is he most like and who would he bumped down. I originally thought Wennberg but I feel like (and this ties into a post you made a few days ago) Torts may try loading up an offensive line and give them lots of zone starts on so on and I believe that carries over to the PP and they really hope they can find some magic between he and Panarin.
I also thought about Atkinson but hes up high and is a shooter, Dubois has a rocket one timer but was more reluctant to use it last year. I hope he doesnt settle in as a pure playmaker like Thornton, Johansen and Getzlaf (who is up and down) because like Johansen and Getzlaf especially he has the ability to shoot and score so he needs to use that but doesnt seem to want to at this stage.
That brought me to Foligno and its not an easy choice and obviously it wouldnt be right away and it will be up to Dubois to push him down. Right now Foligno has great hands but more importantly more determination down low and more willing to battle. I think Dubois will gain that in time but is also a better passer and finisher. If his compete level can get anywhere near guys like Foligno, Jenner, Dubi, Calvert he will be a beast.

All this is just something that I think will happen in time, not really what Im asking for. If I got my way Jones would be on the 1st unit :laugh:

Hockeyanalysis is done. It's sad really, it was by far the best resource out there, but it's gone because of lack of support. Meanwhile the NHL gives a million dollar contract out to develop stats for it's website, to a bunch of developers who can't make the thing work properly and don't even have an essential stat like PP scoring rate.

And you're right, Dubois will need time to develop into that role anyways, and for all we know Foligno will be over the hill by the time Dubois really emerges. I'm just saying that for now, Foligno is an elite PP player.

If I got my way Jones would be in the one-timer side (same as Panarin/Atkinson) on the second unit. We are wasting his shot.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Hockeyanalysis is done. It's sad really, it was by far the best resource out there, but it's gone because of lack of support. Meanwhile the NHL gives a million dollar contract out to develop stats for it's website, to a bunch of developers who can't make the thing work properly and don't even have an essential stat like PP scoring rate.

And you're right, Dubois will need time to develop into that role anyways, and for all we know Foligno will be over the hill by the time Dubois really emerges. I'm just saying that for now, Foligno is an elite PP player.

If I got my way Jones would be in the one-timer side (same as Panarin/Atkinson) on the second unit. We are wasting his shot.
So you'd rather have Jones on the backdoor waiting for a one timer rather than walking the blueline and firing shots from the perimeter?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So you'd rather have Jones on the backdoor waiting for a one timer rather than walking the blueline and firing shots from the perimeter?

Depends on whose on what line? Is PLD able to take PP time? Are they running two D? Or just Zach and Seth running each line?

Bjorkstrand-Wennberg-Foligno
Panarin - Werenski

Jenner -PLD/Dubi- Anderson
Jones-Atkinson

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Jones' best shot is the one timer, and he needs to be on the left side to do that. There's no time at the point for a one timer, just a quick wrister. Maybe a tactical change will open up more space at the point, but the point man usually had less time to fire shots than the guys on the sides did. Jones should be in the Ovechkin/Panarin position because his shot is that good.

-------- Foligno
Panarin Atkinson Wennberg
-------- Werenski

-------- Jenner/Andy
Jones - Bjorkstrand Dubinsky
-------- Murray/Nuti

The only thing I'm not sure about is where Anderson fits and if Murray can be a real PP point man. I really want to see Murray given more of a chance there. His passing skills at the blue line are very nice, but Nuti has that great shot. Anderson is a beast with a great shot, he deserves PP time. Jenner is such a beast down low, though. Bjorkstrand didn't score at all on the PP last year but he's a creative and deceptive player which is what we need in the middle of the second unit - it was terribly dull and predictable last year, though who could blame them they barely saw the ice.

Depends on whose on what line? Is PLD able to take PP time? Are they running two D? Or just Zach and Seth running each line?

Bjorkstrand-Wennberg-Foligno
Panarin - Werenski

Jenner -PLD/Dubi- Anderson
Jones-Atkinson

I don't know what positions these are supposed to be. Is this our diamond formation from last year?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
And I'm forgetting that this was a PLD discussion. There's quite the lineup for PP time so if he makes the team this year I wouldn't be surprised if it's a while before he sees PP.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jones' best shot is the one timer, and he needs to be on the left side to do that. There's no time at the point for a one timer, just a quick wrister. Maybe a tactical change will open up more space at the point, but the point man usually had less time to fire shots than the guys on the sides did. Jones should be in the Ovechkin/Panarin position because his shot is that good.

-------- Foligno
Panarin Atkinson Wennberg
-------- Werenski

-------- Jenner/Andy
Jones - Bjorkstrand Dubinsky
-------- Murray/Nuti

The only thing I'm not sure about is where Anderson fits and if Murray can be a real PP point man. I really want to see Murray given more of a chance there. His passing skills at the blue line are very nice, but Nuti has that great shot. Anderson is a beast with a great shot, he deserves PP time. Jenner is such a beast down low, though. Bjorkstrand didn't score at all on the PP last year but he's a creative and deceptive player which is what we need in the middle of the second unit - it was terribly dull and predictable last year, though who could blame them they barely saw the ice.

I don't know what positions these are supposed to be. Is this our diamond formation from last year?

Yeah, I had it setup differently but changed it to that.

Bjorkstrand-Foligno
Panarin-Werenski-Wennberg

Jenner-Anderson
Jones-Atkinson-Dubinsky/Duchene:)naughty:)

I'm not gonna say it's impossible for PLD to get PP time, but it's not likely. I've seen crazier things though. I do think he's gonna allow Dubinsky to be more effective with his TOI if PLD can take some harder matchups (similar to Joey in his first two seasons)

Also Sedlak could very easily see an increase in defensive roles as he handled Malkin extremely well in the playoffs.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Abramov not going to play in the Q this year, he says he is either playing in Cbus or somewhere else professionally. Family is pressuring him to turn pro.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-droit/spo...08/15/01-5124839-abracadabramov-disparait.php

Good for him , the rule is so stupid , if he doesn't make the jackets , the logical competition would have been in Cleveland , but with the rules in place , he couldn't do that . Sure Jarmo will get him in a great league , if he doesn't make the jackets

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
The NHL/CHL rule is moot when prospects are able to go to Europe instead. CHL still loses their player and the NHL team reaps no benefit. Just let us do what we want to with our own damn prospect.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
The NHL/CHL rule is moot when prospects are able to go to Europe instead. CHL still loses their player and the NHL team reaps no benefit. Just let us do what we want to with our own damn prospect.
How many prospects leave the CHL for Europe when they can't crack the NHL roster though? Not too many. The rule still allows CHL teams to keep talented guys like Barzal, Strome, etc.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
How many prospects leave the CHL for Europe when they can't crack the NHL roster though? Not too many. The rule still allows CHL teams to keep talented guys like Barzal, Strome, etc.

That's a problem with the structure of the CHL.

It shouldn't focus on talent that has already been drafted. It needs to focus and hype up the younger guys.

If you want to see pre-draft talent, watch the CHL.
If you want to see drafted talent that's not yet ready for the NHL, watch the AHL.
If you want to see NHL talent, watch the NHL.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

I get that, and I probably could have gone into more detail, but clearly there is a loophole in the rule that at the very least it needs amending. Maybe one prospect per team per year can be exempt from this rule.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

But those guys are Canadian. I bet you see European players from the CHL go to Europe to play professionally at a higher rate. I know that there aren't that many in the CHL but if it gets them closer to home and is a developmental tool, why not go? Once he gets returned to JR it's pretty hard for the CBJ to ever recall him anyway since it essentially requires and emergency recall and that would frankly never happen.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

It may not be many but I would not be surprised if Auston Matthews opened some eyes that a North American kid can skip the CHL/NCAA route and still develop their game while getting paid. As CHLers see some of their brethren making real money to refine their game against men you might see a few more try to make the jump.

Obviously there is a limit to the number of North American CHLers the Euro leagues can absorb but if its just the best of the best it may make the NHL-CHL reassess their agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad