Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/OTT] Ian Cole for Nick Moutrey, 2020 3rd round

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Disappointed was hoping for a 2nd. Instead a 3rd in 2020? Columbus as a young team should improve, and it lessens the Brassard return which already felt a bit underwhelming.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Anyone else love that he went to Columbus? Not only will he be pissed, but I'm sure the Pens will be too. :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The pens wanted to keep Cole but the sens requested him specifically......so they could trade him for a third? Couldn't the pens have just sent a third over instead?

Cap space I'm sure had something to do with it. JR likely offered Hunwick but...come on...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Anyone else love that he went to Columbus? Not only will he be pissed, but I'm sure the Pens will be too. :laugh:

If the Penguins 5th defenseman was the main piece that helped them get Brassard, then no. This is Ian Cole we're talking about, not Bobby Orr.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Naw, I wish him the best. He helped us win two cups. We'll probably get another dman today anyways.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If the Penguins 5th defenseman was the main piece that helped them get Brassard, then no. This is Ian Cole we're talking about, not Bobby Orr.

I think it's just the fact that it's Columbus. My buddy only hates the Flyers more than the Jackets. He was pissed when it happened, and tbh I kinda love it.

Naw, I wish him the best. He helped us win two cups. We'll probably get another dman today anyways.

Haha "Why couldn't it be anywhere else?!"

Reactions: mikeyp24

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think it's just the fact that it's Columbus. My buddy only hates the Flyers more than the Jackets. He was pissed when it happened, and tbh I kinda love it.

I definitely would have preferred he not go to Columbus.. no doubt. Honestly at that price I'm disappointed he's not back in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yes, fellow Pens fans greatly overstated his trade value. There were many of them that thought he could fetch us a third line center earlier in the year when he was in Sullivan’s doghouse.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

He could help them win, which would suck, but after the most recent Cup win, when the Penguins won against the top teams in the league without their 1D and with multiple players seriously injured, I'm much more chill about the Penguins' chances overall. We just have to see how everything plays out.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Your buddy is overreacting then. If anything, the Blue Jackets really didn't solve any of their issues by acquiring Cole.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Your buddy is overreacting then. If anything, the Blue Jackets really didn't solve any of their issues by acquiring Cole.
Took a D option off the table making JJs price higher while not downgrading based on this year's play. I'd say it helped us quite a bit.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Am I right to assume Moutrey is just a contract dump/minor league forward?
Moutrey is a long shot to make the NHL and the CBJ needed to move a contract to keep space open for any other possible deals. Moutrey has some size and a little skill but he's a bottom 6 guy at best (more likely a future 14th type forward). I don't think he makes the big show but you never know. He's still young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad