Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/OTT] Ian Cole for Nick Moutrey, 2020 3rd round

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Faster than Lucic and Maroon no?

Good point. You keep Hall though.
Eberle + decent pick could have got you a younger/cheaper goal scorer and maybe a bottom pairing D with top 4 potential.
You're high-jacking the Ian Cole trade thread. The Oilers had to move cap space for the McDavid deal. Very little value on Jordan Eberle at $6m.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Faster than Lucic and Maroon no?

Good point. You keep Hall though.
Eberle + decent pick could have got you a younger/cheaper goal scorer and maybe a bottom pairing D with top 4 potential.
He’s probably a bit faster than those two, but that’s not really an achievment, it also took him getting traded to finally realize he needs to work on his skating

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
1) I don’t get what Dorion was doing here if he was just going to flip Cole for a 3rd. Surely Winnipeg’s offer was better.

2) how did Davidson get a 3rd? LOL

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
Yeah, Pens would have traded Hunwick and the Ottawa 3rd back for him, at least I would.

However, there still may be a rift with him from earlier in the year.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Just to cite.

" Incidentally, the Penguins didn't have any particular designs on trading Cole. He was included in the package for Brassard because the Senators requested him.
Jim Rutherford had other avenues to make Brassard fit under the salary cap. Trading Cole wasn't paramount to the plan. In fact, he'd have preferred keeping him.
However, the Senators intend on flipping Cole for what they hope will be a second-round draft pick between now and Monday's trade deadline."

-The Athletic
Despite issues with Mike Sullivan, Ian Cole never wanted to...

Theres a good bit more there but that's the short version. Either Ottawa thought peace sells and couldn't find a buyer or Pitts was trying to move Cole and was being polite about it.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think this is a pretty good move by Jarmo. You can't change the team idendity now, they have trouble scoring goals and that's it. There's really nothing out there that would suddenly make them a high-scoring team.

So, might as well be even better defensively. Ryan Murray also came back recently.

Werenski - Jones
Johnson - Murray
Cole - Savard

Bob

That's a strong back-end.

I mean if JJ returns significantly more than Cole then they should trade him. But they just paid a 3rd+ for UFA dman. Flipping Johnson for slightly better return isn't worth it over making a playoff push.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
I'm honestly really surprised a team like the islanders didn't beat this offer. Maybe isles brass don't have much confidence in their team and didn't want to waste a 2nd rounder on Cole.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
For the price that was paid I think the Leafs missed out I think the Jackets made a great pickup, it does make me wonder what happens to Jack Johnson

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Just to cite.

" Incidentally, the Penguins didn't have any particular designs on trading Cole. He was included in the package for Brassard because the Senators requested him.
Jim Rutherford had other avenues to make Brassard fit under the salary cap. Trading Cole wasn't paramount to the plan. In fact, he'd have preferred keeping him.
However, the Senators intend on flipping Cole for what they hope will be a second-round draft pick between now and Monday's trade deadline."

-The Athletic
Despite issues with Mike Sullivan, Ian Cole never wanted to...

Theres a good bit more there but that's the short version. Either Ottawa thought peace sells and couldn't find a buyer or Pitts was trying to move Cole and was being polite about it.

It was reported that after the first trade announcement, when everyone was thinking cole was going to tge Sens, not vegas as he was slated to do, the Sens got a ton of calls about him. Rutherford was shopping him earlier in the year... its probable the Sens grossly overestimated his value in this market... and that they didn't want to risk getting stuck with him if too much focus was made on their other pieces today..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So weird. Holden is so much better than Cole.

Cole couldn't beat out matt fricken hunwick for playing time.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think this is a pretty good move by Jarmo. You can't change the team idendity now, they have trouble scoring goals and that's it. There's really nothing out there that would suddenly make them a high-scoring team.

So, might as well be even better defensively. Ryan Murray also came back recently.

Werenski - Jones
Johnson - Murray
Cole - Savard

Bob

That's a strong back-end.

I mean if JJ returns significantly more than Cole then they should trade him. But they just paid a 3rd+ for UFA dman. Flipping Johnson for slightly better return isn't worth it over making a playoff push.

JJ is 99% gone. Kukan, Nutivaara, Harrington, Chorney will fight for that 6 spot.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Im just amazed that CBJ wanted a guy known to question suspect coaching moves strait to the coach... seems like a good way to start a riot in a torts led team lol

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

That had less to do with Cole's ability and moreso with Sullivan's hatred of him taking a bunch of penalties. That lead to a ton of healthy scratches
Because Cole is about twice the player Hunwick is

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Not even close to true. Not one sane person would take Nick Holden over Ian Cole for a playoff run.

Cole's was playing over Hunwick of late....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad