Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/OTT] Ian Cole for Nick Moutrey, 2020 3rd round

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
On topic

Why did snow pay a 3rd for Davidson instead of cole

Sympathy trade. Snow felt guilty and wanted to pay back Chia in some way

Snow could hand over next 5 years worth of 1st rounders to Chia. That's still won't be enough to make up for the players Chia handed over. Not to mention, Chia will and Oilers will find a way to draft 3rd liners or busts

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
Congrats CBJ. Even if he plays like crap (which he won't) you got one of the nicer guys around the league. Great personality. I admit I'm a little salty, that he is now on your team.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
The return for Cole does not make sense. He has the Hero chart of a third pairing d-man. He played adequately w/ JShultz on the Pens 2nd pair, when they were put together. Either Dorion is an idiot, there is a future trade coming down or Uncle Gary is taking care of CBUS again.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
As a Pens fan I’m not happy he was moved back into the division. Sad to say it but good pickup for the Jackets.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
It's the "again" part that threw me. I wasn't aware that Bettman had a crush on the Jackets.
Canada doesn't respect the Jackets and Bettman allegedly hates Canada if I'm to believe the boards here so if you read between the lines Bettman and the CBJ are in cahoots.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Surprised Cole wasn't moved to a legit contender. He was an excellent option for teams looking for defensive help who didn't want to sell the farm for EK or McDonagh. I would have been happy to trade for him.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Don't know what made you think 99%

REASONS HE COULD BE TRADED:
1. The Jackets now have 10 NHL defensemen on the roster. I understand depth but this is overkill
2. Cole plays a similar game to Johnson
3. Johnson demanded a trade so it was logical to think Cole's acquisition was the first domino to moving Johnson
4. Jackets have traded two picks (and also don't have a 2nd in 2019) so moving Johnson could recoup some of that currency
5. Johnson is a UFA and cheaper rental option compared to guys like McDonagh

REASONS HE WASN'T TRADED:
1. Jackets have a couple of long term injuries in Kukan and Nutivaara. Murray's long term health is always a question mark as well
2. The offers weren't good enough to move Johnson

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
REASONS HE COULD BE TRADED:
1. The Jackets now have 10 NHL defensemen on the roster. I understand depth but this is overkill
2. Cole plays a similar game to Johnson
3. Johnson demanded a trade so it was logical to think Cole's acquisition was the first domino to moving Johnson
4. Jackets have traded two picks (and also don't have a 2nd in 2019) so moving Johnson could recoup some of that currency
5. Johnson is a UFA and cheaper rental option compared to guys like McDonagh

REASONS HE WASN'T TRADED:
1. Jackets have a couple of long term injuries in Kukan and Nutivaara. Murray's long term health is always a question mark as well
2. The offers weren't good enough to move Johnson

Acquiring Cole, who is also an UFA, makes absolutely zero sense if you're trading JJ.

You're not trading JJ just because he asks for a trade. You're trading him if you don't think you're making the playoffs, or you get an offer you can't refuse.

1) if you're a seller, you're not trading for Cole

2) if Cole's value in the market is a 3rd round pick, JJ is not getting you much more

As soon as this trade was announced to me it was more like 99% he's not going anywhere, not the other way around.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Acquiring Cole, who is also an UFA, makes absolutely zero sense if you're trading JJ.

You're not trading JJ just because he asks for a trade. You're trading him if you don't think you're making the playoffs, or you get an offer you can't refuse.

1) if you're a seller, you're not trading for Cole

2) if Cole's value in the market is a 3rd round pick, JJ is not getting you much more

As soon as this trade was announced to me it was more like 99% he's not going anywhere, not the other way around.

It does make sense if you think you can get more for Johnson than what you spent on Cole and when you already have NINE NHL defensemen.

Hypothetically it could have been Ian Cole + 2nd round pick for Johnson and a 3rd. Get an equal dman and improved pick for a guy who demanded a trade. Obviously it didn’t go down that way but that was the thinking.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad