OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Welp. Just found out that my synagogue was one of at least three in the area that received a bomb threat via email this morning.

I'm not having a very good time. :(

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Welp. Just found out that my synagogue was one of at least three in the area that received a bomb threat via email this morning.

I'm not having a very good time. :(
I am sorry to hear that. I just read the article about the teenage boy in Canton who just pleaded guilty to planning to set fire to a synagogue there.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Just did an Internet search about bomb scares at Columbus synagogues and it led me an article in The Dispatch. It was for The Dispatch, the local newspaper in Columbus, Mississippi. What are the odds?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I am sorry to hear that. I just read the article about the teenage boy in Canton who just pleaded guilty to planning to set fire to a synagogue there.
I am not myself Jewish, but I grew up right by the Canton JCC and went there often. It is not just a synagogue and Jewish community center, but a community center for that entire neighborhood. I am very, very upset by that news. That space means a lot not just to Canton's Jewish community but to the city as a whole. That kid's parents should face major backlash because hate doesn't come from nowhere in a child.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Veselé Vianoce - Merry Christmas ... :xtree: :x):

IMG_20231224_161242_182.jpg

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Sunday nights at 8pm in newark.

Rotating weekly Adult skills and skating with Jen instruction or adult activities with Dante Juris.

Registration below. If interested, need gear help, or have questions please ask!!

Instagram post leads to video of the Skate with Jen session from Sunday so you can get a feel of what happens

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Sunday nights at 8pm in newark.

Rotating weekly Adult skills and skating with Jen instruction or adult activities with Dante Juris.

Registration below. If interested, need gear help, or have questions please ask!!

Instagram post leads to video of the Skate with Jen session from Sunday so you can get a feel of what happens

Do they do beginner skating? I've never learned how and I've always wanted but the chiller classes are during the week at like 10:30 for adults when I'm being an adult and working.

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Taking my 2 year old to his first game next Saturday, driving up 5 hours from here to Calgary. I’m guessing he won’t be too into the game as much as running around the concourse, but we shall see. :laugh: Thinking I’ll put him in his CBJ shirt and see if he can get a puck or something from Savvy or Big Josh Anderson during warmups, since it’s Flames vs Canadiens.

Or maybe CBJ gear is a bad idea in Calgary. Lol

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Working in life insurance, spaces and punctuation both confuse our computer systems. Even names with Mc and Di prefixes confuse the systems. It's hard to search a person by name when you don't know how their name was plugged into the system in the first place.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Working in life insurance, spaces and punctuation both confuse our computer systems. Even names with Mc and Di prefixes confuse the systems. It's hard to search a person by name when you don't know how their name was plugged into the system in the first place.
Which basically confirms that y'all's computer systems were written by fools and morons with shitty ideas about optimizing things that don't need to be optimized and who therefore need to be beaten. Find the vendors responsible and send them this:

seriously if I have to deal with one more of my papa's "blah blah back in my day One Byte Is One Character 'cause ASCII was good enough harrumph harrumph" harangues I'm going to set the world on fire

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Which basically confirms that y'all's computer systems were written by fools and morons with shitty ideas about optimizing things that don't need to be optimized and who therefore need to be beaten. Find the vendors responsible and send them this:

seriously if I have to deal with one more of my papa's "blah blah back in my day One Byte Is One Character 'cause ASCII was good enough harrumph harrumph" harangues I'm going to set the world on fire
1000%. I'm constantly muttering to myself trying every naming convention, then I give up, search the SSN, and doesn't the name show as exactly one of the things I searched? But I do my absolute best not to ask for SSNs, not to mention that we have a subset of policies that doesn't even have them because they were issued out of the back of magazines in the 1970s lol. Good luck finding someone whose name is McDonald in that system if they don't know their exact policy number.

There are no good vendors, I've come to find. Our shiny new modern database software is SO much worse than the green text on black screen command prompt stuff we were using before for some of the legacy policies, and I wish I could fire the vendor of this garbage software.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
1000%. I'm constantly muttering to myself trying every naming convention, then I give up, search the SSN, and doesn't the name show as exactly one of the things I searched? But I do my absolute best not to ask for SSNs, not to mention that we have a subset of policies that doesn't even have them because they were issued out of the back of magazines in the 1970s lol. Good luck finding someone whose name is McDonald in that system if they don't know their exact policy number.

There are no good vendors, I've come to find. Our shiny new modern database software is SO much worse than the green text on black screen command prompt stuff we were using before for some of the legacy policies, and I wish I could fire the vendor of this garbage software.
The problem with lots of business software is that they tend to be written by people who know that business but aren't actually very good at programming. One of my friends used to work for the folks behind EPIC (common software package for healthcare institutions; if your provider has something called "MyChart", they use it) and the horror stories she used to tell me made me feel at the time that I'd made the right choice to not get into the software industry. And then, of course, a few years later I get pulled in anyways because of course I did.

• Haha
Reactions: squashmaple

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
There are no good vendors, I've come to find.

This is where I am.

And the last couple of years the Jackets have reminded too much of work. Yay, the vendor replaced the awful project lead. Boo, the replacement is a total creep who snoops in people’s phone. Yay, third project lead in a few months. Boo, this new project lead moved the one person I liked working with to another project in another city right after he got an apartment in Columbus.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The problem with lots of business software is that they tend to be written by people who know that business but aren't actually very good at programming. One of my friends used to work for the folks behind EPIC (common software package for healthcare institutions; if your provider has something called "MyChart", they use it) and the horror stories she used to tell me made me feel at the time that I'd made the right choice to not get into the software industry. And then, of course, a few years later I get pulled in anyways because of course I did.
Even worse is when you use a piece of software designed to be used in a standardized format across an industry but your company has to completely over-engineer internal processes and how they use the system that it makes upgrades and future system conversions a nightmare for you to stay on top of the rate of development of the programs and industry needs.

Reactions: Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Even worse is when you use a piece of software designed to be used in a standardized format across an industry but your company has to completely over-engineer internal processes and how they use the system that it makes upgrades and future system conversions a nightmare for you to stay on top of the rate of development of the programs and industry needs.

I am in the middle of (A) vendor’s product is crap, (B) vendor has hired people off the street that don’t understand vendor’s product so implementation has been especially bad, (C) client has over-engineered legacy processes that were created by retired staff and everyone still around is afraid to change, and (D) client management is pretending everything is going well so their choice of new system isn’t criticized. I am in kind of a facilitator role with limited influence, and I am caught between trying to see if I can make some positive changes and putting all my efforts into getting put on a different project.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I am in the middle of (A) vendor’s product is crap, (B) vendor has hired people off the street that don’t understand vendor’s product so implementation has been especially bad, (C) client has over-engineered legacy processes that were created by retired staff and everyone still around is afraid to change, and (D) client management is pretending everything is going well so their choice of new system isn’t criticized. I am in kind of a facilitator role with limited influence, and I am caught between trying to see if I can make some positive changes and putting all my efforts into getting put on a different project.

Holy shit.... are you me?

We're implementing a new ERP system for our finance team right now and you just described my experience exactly. Absolute hell.

bd87097cb943be2f7836f0e575f55e63.jpg

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've had to create such monstrosities before when working for not-for-profits to deal with hideously insane requirements. I still have on my wall (next to me as I type this) a letter of commendation from my synagogue's co-presidents at the time that basically amounts to "on behalf of the Board, thank you thank you thank you so much for FINALLY making our VP Finance shut up!" :D

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00