Prospect Info: Casey Staum - 124th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I have no idea who this kid is. But he's 5 years away from even being signed. He's playing USHL next year then 4 years of college.

He's the Sullivan/Koberstein/Kishel WTF pick. So far those picks haven't done much for us, but Timmins seems to love picking them. I'm not expecting much from this kid. Good luck to him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I have no idea who this kid is. But he's 5 years away from even being signed. He's playing USHL next year then 4 years of college.

He's the Sullivan/Koberstein/Kishel WTF pick. So far those picks haven't done much for us, but Timmins seems to love picking them. I'm not expecting much from this kid. Good luck to him.

Every player, since 2004, that we have chosen and that we don't know about....has brought NOTHING to the table. So people, don't feel bad for disliking a pick you haven't seen. Chances are it won't amount to anything based on past results.

Will follow him regardless. 'Cause that,s what we do.

Seems like his skating is something to be seen.

Yep. Look at the vid and it seems Rieilly smooth. Yet, same thing was said for Bennett as well. And his vid at draft day was impressive too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Look at it this way....if this guy is ever ready, he will be ready around the same time than...our 2nd rounders in 2018 will be ready....:D

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
UNO has a good coach and have been turning around their program the last few years but last season was a bit of a set back. Will be interesting to hear if he's going there next year as the defense from what I recall wasn't a strong point of the team. That said if he goes to the USHL for a year so be it. At least with UNO in the NCHC, he's at a top conference in the NCAA so he will play against teams with lots of NHL draft picks.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
UNO has a good coach and have been turning around their program the last few years but last season was a bit of a set back. Will be interesting to hear if he's going there next year as the defense from what I recall wasn't a strong point of the team. That said if he goes to the USHL for a year so be it. At least with UNO in the NCHC, he's at a top conference in the NCAA so he will play against teams with lots of NHL draft picks.

Timmins already stated that he's going to Dubuque next year.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I'm trying to think of the last time one of these late-round, long-term project type picks paid off. I guess you can look at a guy like Pateryn as a success story? (I know we didn't draft him, but traded for him soon after the draft)

More than likely they end up somewhat mediocre like Fischer, Bennett, MacMillan, etc.

Are there other guys that have worked out that I can't think of? I guess it is a bit of a 'needle in the haystack' time of draft position...

PhysicalHABuse

Jun 11, 2016
I'm trying to think of the last time one of these late-round, long-term project type picks paid off. I guess you can look at a guy like Pateryn as a success story? (I know we didn't draft him, but traded for him soon after the draft)

More than likely they end up somewhat mediocre like Fischer, Bennett, MacMillan, etc.

Are there other guys that have worked out that I can't think of? I guess it is a bit of a 'needle in the haystack' time of draft position...

I agree. Between MB trading away 2nd round picks and TT going after these out-of-nowhere pics that never amount to anything, our farm system became depleted. I don't care much for this approach, and stopped buying into the retrospective hype that comes afterwards with such pics. Remember Avtsin?

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
These type of picks never made sense. If Staum dominated Ushs it would have made a bit of sense but I guess TT is very high on skating

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Does it really matter?

What are the statistical chances of a 5th rounder playing one game in the NHL?

Less than 5% I venture to guess.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Does it really matter?

I agree but it's not a reason to pick a rocket skating guy from a beer league. SOmetimes these picks are unknown for a good reason.

You make a good risk by either drafting an overager with good skills or a guy that has dropped in the draft for a reason. Don't waste them away. Kishel, Avtsin and etc, if I name you all the picks that we wasted....

Make a good gamble.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
And again, I guess we will have to see. Will be fun to follow him for the upcoming years. Yet....players that you have never heard of....rarely will make it. For the Habs, last player we didn't know who made it, was Mark Streit in 2004.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
And again, I guess we will have to see. Will be fun to follow him for the upcoming years. Yet....players that you have never heard of....rarely will make it. For the Habs, last player we didn't know who made it, was Mark Streit in 2004.

Heh. He was an overage that was killing it in Swiss League, hardly a no name.

Those are exactly the type of picks I'm recommending to make. Last year, we picked Addison in the 7th round. That's an example of a good pick. Don't waste them. Vejdemo was a good gamble but a bit early (overager). Pius Suter is an overage I wanted us to take a gamble on (even this year).

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
One thing that's worth mentioning about Staum is that he lost half his 15-16 season to injury. Like the HockeyProspect.com profile stated, he had a good chance to be ranked much higher had it not been the case. He managed to be among the finalist for the best Minnesota highschool player award regardless. He might not be a well known pick but he's not a complete no name. I'm willing to give the guy some time to show what he's got, hopefully as soon as next week's camp.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Timmins already stated that he's going to Dubuque next year.

makes sense since many go to the USHL for a year before the NCAA to bulk up a bit and get stronger.

Halak
Streit
Grabovski
Gallagher
Sergei Kostitsyn had 176 pts in the NHL

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Does it really matter?

Our 5th rounders from 2009-2012 have all played in the NHL so far. Gallagher and Hudon look to be impact players, Dietz could still carve out a career. We didn't have a 5th in 2013, but Audette was our 5th in 2014, and it's still way too early to pass judgement on him. Dumont was our 5th in 2009, and he played some valuable minutes for our AHL teams and played decent as a call-up.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Heh. He was an overage that was killing it in Swiss League, hardly a no name.

Those are exactly the type of picks I'm recommending to make. Last year, we picked Addison in the 7th round. That's an example of a good pick. Don't waste them. Vejdemo was a good gamble but a bit early (overager). Pius Suter is an overage I wanted us to take a gamble on (even this year).

He was not on anybody's radar as far as we were concerned. Nobody in here was mentioning him as a possibility. Not talking in hindisight here. And frankly, he was a no-name for the NHL.....he was picked 262nd man....

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
One thing that's worth mentioning about Staum is that he lost half his 15-16 season to injury. Like the HockeyProspect.com profile stated, he had a good chance to be ranked much higher had it not been the case. He managed to be among the finalist for the best Minnesota highschool player award regardless. He might not be a well known pick but he's not a complete no name. I'm willing to give the guy some time to show what he's got, hopefully as soon as next week's camp.

He is a no name in the sense that....nobody in here in our draft thread has ever spoken about him. And you could go as far as to say the even pros didn't mention and nobody mentioned him as a possible sleeper anywhere.

Not sure what your definition is of a no-name, but at worst, he was for us. Which is not the case for 3/4 of the kids chosen Saturday.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He is a no name in the sense that....nobody in here in our draft thread has ever spoken about him. And you could go as far as to say the even pros didn't mention and nobody mentioned him as a possible sleeper anywhere.

Not sure what your definition is of a no-name, but at worst, he was for us. Which is not the case for 3/4 of the kids chosen Saturday.

Well the NHL CSS had him in it's official rankings, ditto for future consideration and other ''amateur'' publications. I'm not saying he was a well known sleeper or anything but he did manage some recognition in Minnesota's minor hockey system, which is fairly well regarded and scouted every year. The USHS produced a first rounder this year (Tufte, who beat Staum for the Mr.Hockey award incidentally). I'd make the argument, which is entirely debatable, that he's not as wild a guess as guys like Kishel or even Bennett were. It'll be pointless if he looks like a complete jobber at the camp mind you :P .

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I was looking at the wrong profile, I guess it's an OK pick. Will take 5 years before turning pro unless he impresses. He missed time due to injury I saw he had 7 points in 12 games

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well the NHL CSS had him in it's official rankings, ditto for future consideration and other ''amateur'' publications. I'm not saying he was a well known sleeper or anything but he did manage some recognition in Minnesota's minor hockey system, which is fairly well regarded and scouted every year. The USHS produced a first rounder this year (Tufte, who beat Staum for the Mr.Hockey award incidentally). I'd make the argument, which is entirely debatable, that he's not as wild a guess as guys like Kishel or even Bennett were. It'll be pointless if he looks like a complete jobber at the camp mind you :P .

Well I don't know for Kishel....but Bennett was clearly in the CSS rankings too and in other publications. Bennett was clearly not a no-name. Was probably chosen too quickly, but I know I knew him. And others did too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad