Prospect Info: Casey Staum - 124th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Well I don't know for Kishel....but Bennett was clearly in the CSS rankings too and in other publications. Bennett was clearly not a no-name. Was probably chosen too quickly, but I know I knew him. And others did too.

The fact is that it doesn't mean squat whether you or a bunch of random message board posters didn't know him. Actual scouts all knew who he was as the Minnesota high schools are heavily scouted and he finished as a finalist for the Mr. Hockey award.

It is a fact that he is not an obscure no-name prospect. Your lack of knowledge about his existence is just proof that you are not as knowledgeable about this years prospects as pro scouts are. Nothing to be ashamed of but also not a valid reason to criticize the pick.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The fact is that it doesn't mean squat whether you or a bunch of random message board posters didn't know him. Actual scouts all knew who he was as the Minnesota high schools are heavily scouted and he finished as a finalist for the Mr. Hockey award.

It is a fact that he is not an obscure no-name prospect. Your lack of knowledge about his existence is just proof that you are not as knowledgeable about this years prospects as pro scouts are. Nothing to be ashamed of but also not a valid reason to criticize the pick.

And again...yes, unfortunately for you, it is a valid reason. Because, again, the last prospect me and most people didn't know too much about that were chosen by the Habs AND did something was Mark Streit. That's 12 years ago. So yes, as amateurs and armchair as we are, proof is in the FACTS. And what the **** are you talking about....he is not an obscure no-name? Even Koberstein was in the CSS rankings last year...did it make him NOT obscure? Yes, he was an obscure prospect, you don't need to be a 32 year old Japanese player to be called unknown. You just need to get some WTF moments by us and even scouts that know him.

Oh my god! He was a finalist in Mr. Hockey award!!!!! Hey David Fischer WON the award!!! What a player! Here are other WINNERS, not FINALISTS, but winners of this trophy since 2000! Marty Sertich, Gino Guyer, Nate Dey, Tom Gorowsky, Brian Lee, Kyle Rau, Justin Kloos, Grant Besse, Avery Peterson.....The only players that made a name out of themselves that won the trophy: McDonagh, Bjugstad, Leddy, Paul Martin. Those are the WINNERS. Would love to see the finalists how they all did.... That's 4 guys in 15 years. We'll see what Tufte does. So WINNING the trophy means so much. Imagine being a finalist. Nothing wrong to be obscure. There are obscure players that did do well in the end. But if you want to talk about FACTS......well facts suggest that since 2004, it didn't happen.

By the way, I hope you didn't think I was going to be sad because you called me not knowledgeable. Don't worry. I know. Yet again, my non-knowledge tells me that the obscure players that we picked since 2005....nobody played a role for us. Sorry...THAT is a fact. But hey, it only takes one right? I'll still follow them immensely and be proud if they happen to succeed. We'll see about that. Though the extra knowledgable scouts, you know the ones that know who I see as obscure prospects, well they ALSO make TONS of mistakes. From round 1 to round 7. So I will never be ashamed of making mistakes while the ones who are paid the big bucks, keep making mistakes year after year after year.....

By the way, not saying I'd pick everytime the best player. Not saying I didn't make mistakes with people I knew. Not even sure what your point is....I'm just stating that as far as I'm concerned, the players that were chosen and that I didn't know about....did NOTHING since 2005. That's all.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
And again...yes, unfortunately for you, it is a valid reason. Because, again, the last prospect me and most people didn't know too much about that were chosen by the Habs AND did something was Mark Streit. That's 12 years ago. So yes, as amateurs and armchair as we are, proof is in the FACTS. And what the **** are you talking about....he is not an obscure no-name? Even Koberstein was in the CSS rankings last year...did it make him NOT obscure? Yes, he was an obscure prospect, you don't need to be a 32 year old Japanese player to be called unknown. You just need to get some WTF moments by us and even scouts that know him.

Oh my god! He was a finalist in Mr. Hockey award!!!!! Hey David Fischer WON the award!!! What a player! Here are other WINNERS, not FINALISTS, but winners of this trophy since 2000! Marty Sertich, Gino Guyer, Nate Dey, Tom Gorowsky, Brian Lee, Kyle Rau, Justin Kloos, Grant Besse, Avery Peterson.....The only players that made a name out of themselves that won the trophy: McDonagh, Bjugstad, Leddy, Paul Martin. Those are the WINNERS. Would love to see the finalists how they all did.... That's 4 guys in 15 years. We'll see what Tufte does. So WINNING the trophy means so much. Imagine being a finalist. Nothing wrong to be obscure. There are obscure players that did do well in the end. But if you want to talk about FACTS......well facts suggest that since 2004, it didn't happen.

By the way, I hope you didn't think I was going to be sad because you called me not knowledgeable. Don't worry. I know. Yet again, my non-knowledge tells me that the obscure players that we picked since 2005....nobody played a role for us. Sorry...THAT is a fact. But hey, it only takes one right? I'll still follow them immensely and be proud if they happen to succeed. We'll see about that. Though the extra knowledgable scouts, you know the ones that know who I see as obscure prospects, well they ALSO make TONS of mistakes. From round 1 to round 7. So I will never be ashamed of making mistakes while the ones who are paid the big bucks, keep making mistakes year after year after year.....

By the way, not saying I'd pick everytime the best player. Not saying I didn't make mistakes with people I knew. Not even sure what your point is....I'm just stating that as far as I'm concerned, the players that were chosen and that I didn't know about....did NOTHING since 2005. That's all.

Once again you have lost sight of the question and are rambling out of context. Any player who is a finalist for Mr. Hockey is not obscure because NHL scouts would be very aware of him. That is a fact.....it really doesn't matter what armchair scouts think......because they are not scouts.

Staum is unknown to you because you are not a scout.......end of story.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Once again you have lost sight of the question and are rambling out of context. Any player who is a finalist for Mr. Hockey is not obscure because NHL scouts would be very aware of him. That is a fact.....it really doesn't matter what armchair scouts think......because they are not scouts.

You know there is 10 finalists per year for that award, right?

Of the 10 finalists of 2015, only 3 played NCAA this year and only 2 got drafted (in the 4th and 7th round).

The point most of the finalists are barely worth mentioning, so I doubt Staum was scouted more than once or twice (maybe even just cross-scouted while watching Tufte).

He may not be a complete unknown, but I wouldn't be surprised if several teams didn't even pay attention to him.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

And you're talking about losing sight of the question. Okay, so how about you don't lose sight of MY point. First, I,m not saying that prospects I don't know, are obscure. I'm saying that they are obscure to ME. And the FACT is that prospects who were obscure to ME, didn't do squat till Mark Streit. So....please don't lose sight of the point yourself. Does it matter that I don't know them? Of course not. Nobody gives a ****. Yet, juste saying that in the end, for the Habs, prospects I had no idea who they were ended up doing nothing. Period.

Is it possible that players I don't know would do well? Yes, of course, Streit did. And I,m sure that there are other prospects from other teams who did too. But that was not my point either. So past history suggest that Staum won't make it. By the way, not talking about Pezzetta here. Probably wasn't claer, but Pezzetta I didn't agree with based on the type of pick. He is not part of my obscure list. Only Staum is. And Henrikson but in the case of Henrikson, I do choose to give full confidence to the guy who discovered Lidstrom, Lundqvist and a few others. There are few all-starts scouts, he seems to be one, and the proof is Vejdemo who, being obscure TO ME, seems to be doing good so far.

So in resume, me not knowing a prospect does NOT mean they won't be good. And I surelly didn't know quite a few prospects chosen by other teams that ended up being good. But fact is me not knowing a Habs prospect, since 2004, means they didn't make it. Maybe STaum will be the exception. And one trait that goes for him is that he was injured. Maybe that's why he was Under the radar of so many.

By the way, I think that with the proper environment and if I would have known the right people, I would have been able to do that job. Martians aren't the only ones who are intelligent enough to do that job. I think I could have done it too and maybe so do you. And quite a few others on that board. I think it' simportant to not discredit the job, it's clealry not for everybody based on the amount of work done, away from your family and so on....., but I think being an armchair scout does not mean that I, you or any other would not be able to do the job.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

agreed. Staum was at a top program in the Minnesota USHS, if I recall correctly as I haven't been following the league as I used to in the past when I used to watch a few games every year to see guys like McDonagh, Anders Lee, etc...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You know there is 10 finalists per year for that award, right?

Of the 10 finalists of 2015, only 3 played NCAA this year and only 2 got drafted (in the 4th and 7th round).

The point most of the finalists are barely worth mentioning, so I doubt Staum was scouted more than once or twice (maybe even just cross-scouted while watching Tufte).

He may not be a complete unknown, but I wouldn't be surprised if several teams didn't even pay attention to him.

Absolutely true. Again, my point was not being obscure for everybody. He was chosen. So he's not obscure. But he was to me. And looking back at the past drafts, even going back to 2000 BEFORE Timmins, everytime I said WTF whether it was Johnson, Kishel, Stejskal, Enqvist, Selig, Chvojka, Puurula, Ujcik, Linhart, Heino, Korpikari, Gleed, Wyman, Mikus, Valentenko etc...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
2 points, end of 2nd period.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
still trying to figure out where he's playing next year. Since I haven't heard of any transfer and there's nothing on UNO's website, maybe they opted to keep him in the USHL for another year and then he'll go to UNO. Sucks cause he'll be a 20 year old Freshman if so.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
don't think any player has recovered in history from such bad stats in the USHL post draft. he and koberstein are mega busts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not good news that the coach's don't think he's ready for college hockey yet.

have you heard anything, cause I can't find anything anywhere so i'm just guessing. His coach that scouted him over a year ago just retired this summer so with a new coach he either wants him to play another year in the USHL or he's going to transfer which would mean he would need to play another year in the USHL but I haven't seen his name listed on a transfer page on the uscho board.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've been looking too but there's zero info out there on where he's headed. It's weird that it's so murky with so little time left before college starts. Another year with Dubuque is looking more and more likely.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
have you heard anything, cause I can't find anything anywhere so i'm just guessing. His coach that scouted him over a year ago just retired this summer so with a new coach he either wants him to play another year in the USHL or he's going to transfer which would mean he would need to play another year in the USHL but I haven't seen his name listed on a transfer page on the uscho board.

I'm in the same boat. Radio silence.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So we know he's repeating the USHL but don't know if it's to transfer or if they just felt he wasn't ready yet and he'll be at UNO in '18-'19.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
So we know he's repeating the USHL but don't know if it's to transfer or if they just felt he wasn't ready yet and he'll be at UNO in '18-'19.

http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com/page/show/1300469-team

http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.co...ting-saints-30-man-roster-affiliates-released

Yeah, he's listed on the official site now so I guess it's pretty much a done deal that he's back in Dubuque. As for UNO, they only have one freshman on defense for 17-18 ( a 19 year old one at that) and 3 freshman in total so I'm guessing the new coach wanted an older lineup. I don't know why he didn't commit to a different school though, maybe his academics aren't up to par ?

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com/page/show/1300469-team

http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.co...ting-saints-30-man-roster-affiliates-released

Yeah, he's listed on the official site now so I guess it's pretty much a done deal that he's back in Dubuque. As for UNO, they only have one freshman on defense for 17-18 ( a 19 year old one at that) and 3 freshman in total so I'm guessing the new coach wanted an older lineup. I don't know why he didn't commit to a different school though, maybe his academics aren't up to par ?

with the new coach I thought he might transfer, but haven't heard if he is or not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Timmins worst pick yet? He turns 20 in a month and while in the USHL he's on pace for less then half the points he put up last year. Ouch. Wonder if he even reaches the NCAA as he's got just 2 pts this year and seems to be in and out of the lineup.

Reactions: schnapshot

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Timmins worst pick yet? He turns 20 in a month and while in the USHL he's on pace for less then half the points he put up last year. Ouch. Wonder if he even reaches the NCAA as he's got just 2 pts this year and seems to be in and out of the lineup.

Montreal, just another out of left field pick that will stay out of left field. Again. It's Mac Bennett part 2 with even less success if that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->