Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So its NHL or nothing for remainder of season?? CBA is so effing weird.

Also if he plays less than 9 NHL games his contract still doesnt burn 1 year off ELC??

No, if they sign him to an ATO to play in Rochester and an ELC that would kick in next year, he can play in Rochester. It's what Trent Frederic is doing with the P-Bruins as an example.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
No, it doesn't. The only thing is convincing him to sign it.
Thats good. Hopefully they can agree to an ATO with pencilled in ELC for next year. The ATO should give him a decent amount of games in the AHL for extra development. Probably makes sense for Casey unless hes dead set on staying in the NCAA next season. Doubt Botts would want to burn an ELC year for nothing on a key asset.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Sign him to an ELC now, give him whatever games in the NHL are left for us when he gets here. Then send him to the World Championship, I'm sure USA Hockey will be inviting him.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sign him to an ELC now, give him whatever games in the NHL are left for us when he gets here. Then send him to the World Championship, I'm sure USA Hockey will be inviting him.
Why waste an year off ELC when cheap impact players have become the key to success in recent years? 10 games in a lost season .... does not compute

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Why waste an year off ELC when cheap impact players have become the key to success in recent years? 10 games in a lost season .... does not compute

he'll play less than 9 games so his ELC will slide - I think for him going to play for his country again will hold more interest than being parachuted into Rochester, but he'll be given all the options and he'll decide.

I'll be very disappointed if he chooses to go back to Minnesota, he won't grow much there, they're not a great program these days.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
he'll play less than 9 games so his ELC will slide - I think for him going to play for his country again will hold more interest than being parachuted into Rochester, but he'll be given all the options and he'll decide.

I'll be very disappointed if he chooses to go back to Minnesota, he won't grow much there, they're not a great program these days.
Im sure someone said he is not eligible for contract slide earlier in the thread.

Per capfriendly:

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Think Casey is in the exception part at the end, which means it won't slide. So it's either ATO or we lose an year off ELC, which for me is a no-go.

Reactions: Chainshot

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Im sure someone said he is not eligible for contract slide earlier in the thread.

Per capfriendly:

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Think Casey is in the exception part at the end, which means it won't slide. So it's either ATO or we lose an year off ELC, which for me is a no-go.

doh, i forgot Casey was a late birthday. I think Botterill will do whatever he has to do to get him here. I think Botterill is very competitive and this crap this season has already worn his patience out. Sabres need a talent/speed injection very badly.

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
Will be really looking forward to any news. Do college players who sign ATOs typically do so shortly after the season is over? What's the time frame here? If he doesn't sign within a few days is it likely that nothing will happen?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Good test for Botts here. I'm sure he wants Casey to take the ATO to Rochester to be involved in a playoff run, and to save the ELC year. Casey's agent probably wants to burn the first ELC year this season.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Good test for Botts here. I'm sure he wants Casey to take the ATO to Rochester to be involved in a playoff run, and to save the ELC year. Casey's agent probably wants to burn the first ELC year this season.

I'm curious what the sales pitch would be from any GM to get a player and his agent to pass up starting his ELC early. I know it can be done as evidenced by Frederic signing one.

Maybe its... "our NHL team is a tire fire right now and you really don't want to expose yourself to that. So go down to our slowly descending into a tire fire farm team and help turn it around"

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Is the burning a year of the ELC really that big of a concern?

Yes and no. You want to keep your top talent inexpensive for as long as possible. IF he turns out to be the real deal, he will cost a lot more a year earlier than you want. That can impact team building. But if you feel as an organization you need him under contract and want to ensure it happens. Then then its not the end of the world to start it early to ensure it happens. But the preference would obviously be an ATO then his ELC starting next year.

Reactions: dire wolf

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yes and no. You want to keep your top talent inexpensive for as long as possible. IF he turns out to be the real deal, he will cost a lot more a year earlier than you want. That can impact team building. But if you feel as an organization you need him under contract and want to ensure it happens. Then then its not the end of the world to start it early to ensure it happens. But the preference would obviously be an ATO then his ELC starting next year.

Ya that’s where I am at, I don’t think either way is worth losing sleep over...if he turns out being the real deal and burning a year his second contract might end up being cheaper too.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Ya that’s where I am at, I don’t think either way is worth losing sleep over...if he turns out being the real deal and burning a year his second contract might end up being cheaper too.

I'm guessing that burning a year of the ELC would happen with a player that has to be convinced to leave.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Getting Mittelstadt to play in Roch for the playoffs is important for several reasons:

1. Even if he only plays bottom 6 minutes, he makes Roch a better team overall, which improves their chances of going deep --> getting our young guys playoff experience
2. If he really shines down there, it will push forward prospects like Nylander, Bailey, Baptiste, Smith, Fasching, etc to be better players. They know that they will be fighting him for a roster spot next year
3. It shows Botts where he is at and Bottsy will have a better idea of what he'll have to do with the forward corps over the summer

I'm okay with an ATO, even though I won't be watching him due to Roch's ridiculous streaming cost. Someone should get the Roch streaming package and live stream it, I'd PayPal some money to be able to see a game or two

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
One thing to have in mind is the coming expansion draft. If it’s after 18/19 we should be safe but 19/20 could mean that we have to leave good players unprotected.
Would be nice to not waste a protection slot on Casey because of some pointless games this season.

Reactions: Cirris

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
One thing to have in mind is the coming expansion draft. If it’s after 18/19 we should be safe but 19/20 could mean that we have to leave good players unprotected.
Would be nice to not waste a protection slot on Casey because of some pointless games this season.

Imagine believing we will have that many players worth protecting by 2020.

I envy your optimism.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Per capfriendly:

dotcommunism can clarify BUT now I read this again, IF Mittelstadt were to sign with the Sabres now, the contract would be a 2017-18 season contract. Casey was 18 as of September 15th of the 'signing year' which I think is 2017-18, I know you are assuming it's 2018 but that makes no sense at all. Had Casey been a CHL player, he would have signed an ELC over the summer, the team would have sent him back to junior, his junior team doesn't make the playoffs so we call him up for some games at the end of the season, it would be under 10 games, so his contract slides.

what would be the rationale for this rule? it penalizes the Sabres for having an NCAA player rather than a CHL player, the CHL kid can play 9 NHL games in his draft +1 season and the NCAA kid can't without the team losing an ELC season. makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille