Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He would be exempt, so this is a non-factor.

Not really. Under the Vegas expansion rules, it’s two years pro or NCAA prior to the season the player is currently in. That’s how the Sabres didn’t have to protect Reinhart or Eichel. Eichel’s BU year didn’t count.

Essentially, once Mittelstadt turns pro, his Minnesota time doesn’t count anymore. Keeping him another year in the NCAA would probably mean he wouldn’t get the required pro time for the Sabres to protect him, and he’d be exempt.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
terrible call on mittlestadt.
He slashed him on the hands.

If CM wants to sign with BUFF this spring then you do it. Don't screw around and take a chance that he might decide to play out the string in college...you do that with "iffy" players. I mean seriously...when it comes to forwards that you are going to protect, do the Sabres really have 7 better choices than CM?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Not really. Under the Vegas expansion rules, it’s two years pro or NCAA prior to the season the player is currently in. That’s how the Sabres didn’t have to protect Reinhart or Eichel. Eichel’s BU year didn’t count.

Essentially, once Mittelstadt turns pro, his Minnesota time doesn’t count anymore. Keeping him another year in the NCAA would probably mean he wouldn’t get the required pro time for the Sabres to protect him, and he’d be exempt.

I want to get rid of roughly twenty people on the roster right now so I have a hard time imagining running out of spots by 2020

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
As I said if he wants to sign then go for it. If he is hesitant and Sabres are worried about rushing him then consider the other factors.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I want to get rid of roughly twenty people on the roster right now so I have a hard time imagining running out of spots by 2020

That might be true but that's no reason not to give up any competitive advantage. If Seattle is drafting after the 2020 season, Mittelstadt will be exempt if he's with the Amerks or Sabres next season.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

I’m operating on the assumption that Seattle is added for 2019 offseason. Process seems to be going quickly, and the citizens killed it with season ticket deposits.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Regardless of the expansion draft implications, I want him on an ATO in Rochester playing top line minutes in a playoff race. Not carrying Jordan Nolan's corpse around the ice for 8 minutes a night. Basically, I trust Taylor with Mittelstadt for a month a hell of a lot more than Housley.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I’m operating on the assumption that Seattle is added for 2019 offseason. Process seems to be going quickly, and the citizens killed it with season ticket deposits.

I believe the remodeled arena isn't scheduled to be finished/open until October 2020, and from BOH Seattle discussion, there's really nowhere else feasible for them to play until it is finished.

I think they'll get awarded a franchise conditionally earlier then people may expect, but the actual start date for the team & expansion draft will probably depend when the remodel is actually done.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I believe the remodeled arena isn't scheduled to be finished/open until October 2020, and from BOH Seattle discussion, there's really nowhere else feasible for them to play until it is finished.

I think they'll get awarded a franchise conditionally earlier then people may expect, but the actual start date for the team & expansion draft will probably depend when the remodel is actually done.

Didn’t hear that timeline before. Regardless, you protect him and expose someone you don’t care about anyway. As I said in a different thread, here’s to 10 new bodies on the opening night lineup next season. Worst case scenario is you do some negotiating and move a pick to get the Kraken to take some other player instead of their top choice of your exposed players.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
The KeyArena is a total dump. It could easily take longer than expected to renovate that to NBA/NHL standards. It basically needs to be rebuilt with the old roof put on a new building because of some stupid historical protection status.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Yeah I was just pointing out the expected timeline.

I really don't think the Sabres need to be making decisions on Mittelstadt's development path based on some fear of when Seattle might come into the league.

Hell if they're terrible again next year maybe they can start floating rumors of exposing Eichel.:sarcasm:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

If the expansion draft is next June, Mittelstadt should be exempt no matter what. With only two NCAA seasons, he would be exempt.

If he goes pro, his time resets.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Someone was on with Kouleas/Johnson a little while ago on NHL network radio. He was saying Minnesota should be in good shape to make the NCAA tourney. He’s been on before and is their NCAA go to guy. It can’t remember his name and it’s driving me crazy. He’s a Boston/NE guy with the accent and everything

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Someone was on with Kouleas/Johnson a little while ago on NHL network radio. He was saying Minnesota should be in good shape to make the NCAA tourney. He’s been on before and is their NCAA go to guy. It can’t remember his name and it’s driving me crazy. He’s a Boston/NE guy with the accent and everything

Dave Starman?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
DXxlmclVoAA00Vf.jpg

DXxlmclVMAAADnd.jpg

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Gophers need three of the four below to happen over the next two weekends to be eliminated:

ECAC - Cornell or Clarkson doesn't win tourney
HEA - Northeastern or Providence doesn't win tourney
WCHA - MNSU doesn't win tourney
NCHC - SCSU, DU, or UMD doesn't win tourney

Reactions: joshjull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4