Carolina Panthers

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Yeah, he's had a few head-scratchers over the years, but the timing is what really surprised me. Training camp starts next Wednesday. You'd think they would have either pushed him out sooner or let him ride it out this season. At this point, the new GM won't have a chance to put his mark on the team before 2018.

Wonder if it had anything to do with the Olsen and Davis contract renegotiations.

Reactions: Identity404

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Jerry Richardson needs to let someone else run the team. The Panthers have been a clown-show ever since they joined the league, and decisions like this just aren't going to help.

Getts runs Smitty, Williams, and Norman out of town, and doesn't lift a finger when Gross retires mid-career, but mismanagement of Davis (who has openly said his last contract was his last) and Olsen (who is still signed for 2 more years) led to his firing in late July, a week before Training Camp, and in the same offseason the heir apparent was already hired away by Buffalo (which also ended up getting our DC hired away)?

Nah, sorry... I can't get behind this. That franchise hasn't been able to put together back to back winning record seasons in its history. It has managed to follow up two Super Bowl appearances by falling to the bottom of the division the next year. The disorganization starts at the top, and I have lost all faith in Richardson to make this team a winner.

Its time for him to pass the ownership duties on to whoever he believes is his heir.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I had decent expectations for this season. Now? I wouldn't be surprised if they go 6-10 again.

So what is Richardsons plan here, is he going to GM the team? Training camp is days away. Shouldn't have waited until the last minute to do this.

Jerry Richardson needs to let someone else run the team. The Panthers have been a clown-show ever since they joined the league, and decisions like this just aren't going to help.

Its time for him to pass the ownership duties on to whoever he believes is his heir.

So what are we waiting for? Lets all put in a purchase bid now!

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Sounds like the leading candidate is Marty Hurney, former Panthers GM who Gettleman replaced back in 2012. Richardson and Hurney met yesterday to discuss the logistics of making it happen.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
I think we can officially transition the term "country club atmosphere" off of the Hurricanes and onto the Panthers. Hurney has proven himself to be incompetent when it comes to the job, and is directly responsible for the cap hell mess that Gettleman was able to remove the Panthers from. But he's so well liked by the players! I look forward to the next "hard-nosed" GM hire in a few years to dig the team out of the mess Hurney puts them back into after this interim gig becomes a permanent one again.

The optics of re-hiring Hurney, even on a supposedly interim basis, are atrocious.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think we can officially transition the term "country club atmosphere" off of the Hurricanes and onto the Panthers. Hurney has proven himself to be incompetent when it comes to the job, and is directly responsible for the cap hell mess that Gettleman was able to remove the Panthers from. But he's so well liked by the players! I look forward to the next "hard-nosed" GM hire in a few years to dig the team out of the mess Hurney puts them back into after this interim gig becomes a permanent one again.

The optics of re-hiring Hurney, even on a supposedly interim basis, are atrocious.

It really would be the single most incompetent move that JR could make this year. Hurney is a disaster of a GM who saw us through a time where the bottom completely fell out, and we tried to save it by overspending and digging the hole even deeper. Without Gettleman, the franchise is in a financial disaster with zero hope of being competitive in the near to long term future.

But the guy kisses the boots of JR, so he's the best man for the job. What a joke. If that actually happens, I might have to turn in my fandom until JR is gone. Which... hell, I already did a JR boycott with the Canes, and the Panthers only play once a week.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
If Hurney is really coming back my excitement for the Panthers is really starting to sour. Obviously after the super bowl trip my fandom for them
has been at an all time high, even through last season's rough season. But the timing of this firing is just awful and then you're going to bring back a GM that in my opinion didn't work in the first place...

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

I'm in complete agreement. Thank God the Hurricanes have righted the ship, otherwise I might have checked out of sports entirely at this point.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
eh, I get that people are a bit adrift at trying to figure out a broad organizational vision in the wake of Gettleman's departure, but the Panthers are very very very very far from doomed.

given the situation of Gettleman's departure, after Danny Morrison, Brandon Beane, some of the coaching staff, scout departures, etc., it makes a ton of sense to bring back Hurney in an interim capacity.

and calling him incompetent or clueless is laughable really. yes he had major flaws as a GM, but he knows the business, knows the league, and knows how to build an organization.

hell, majority of the scouting staff, both college and pro departments, were hired by Marty Hurney. Gettleman didn't make any changes first year he was on the job, and the organization was the better for it. these people have 15+ years in Panthers football ops, and many of them are getting hired around the league in leadership roles. director of personnel with Titans, co-director of personnel with Seahawks, numerous scouts around the league.

he's hired people, helped them develop their skillsets, and prepared them for leadership roles. in fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if at the end of the season, Hurney is kicked up to a non-football ops exec role, and someone already with the organization ascends to GM.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
LOL OHHHHHH SHOTS FIRED

"There’s a certain cruelty in the fact that Charlotte is both North Carolina’s largest city and also, by far, the boringest town in that state. Asheville is Austin with a more reasonable climate. Wilmington is gorgeous. The Research Triangle is a ****ing blast. Charlotte is a bank branch someone made into a whole city, presided over by Richardson and his anodyne football team."

Charlottean friends, to paraphrase Jules Winnfield, we will allow you to retort.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
LOL OHHHHHH SHOTS FIRED

"There’s a certain cruelty in the fact that Charlotte is both North Carolina’s largest city and also, by far, the boringest town in that state. Asheville is Austin with a more reasonable climate. Wilmington is gorgeous. The Research Triangle is a ****ing blast. Charlotte is a bank branch someone made into a whole city, presided over by Richardson and his anodyne football team."

Charlottean friends, to paraphrase Jules Winnfield, we will allow you to retort.

I don't know, I've heard some unflattering things about Greensboro aka Greensboring.

For the record I like Greensboro, but it's no Charlotte.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don't know, I've heard some unflattering things about Greensboro aka Greensboring.

For the record I like Greensboro, but it's no Charlotte.

Greensboro has a lot more personality these days than it did during the height of that nickname a bit over a decade ago. The downtown has radically redeveloped, with many more people and things to do, and it's continuing to get better. National Folk Festival, Eastern Music Festival, several new breweries, old breweries expanding (Natty Greene's is opening up a gigantic new brewing+drinking operation in some of the old mills while keeping the downtown bar open), innovative restaurants, a new performing arts center, etc. Every time I'm down to visit my family, it amazes me what's happening. And it's been a while since I've been to Charlotte, but as of 5 years ago Greensboro was already far outpacing it on the interesting front, and unless Charlotte has changed radically, I can't see them having taken the lead. It's not as large as Charlotte, but has a dramatically higher rate of interesting per capita.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Greensboro has a lot more personality these days than it did during the height of that nickname a bit over a decade ago. The downtown has radically redeveloped, with many more people and things to do, and it's continuing to get better. National Folk Festival, Eastern Music Festival, several new breweries, old breweries expanding (Natty Greene's is opening up a gigantic new brewing+drinking operation in some of the old mills while keeping the downtown bar open), innovative restaurants, a new performing arts center, etc. Every time I'm down to visit my family, it amazes me what's happening. And it's been a while since I've been to Charlotte, but as of 5 years ago Greensboro was already far outpacing it on the interesting front, and unless Charlotte has changed radically, I can't see them having taken the lead. It's not as large as Charlotte, but has a dramatically higher rate of interesting per capita.

I think Gbo and Durham have an awful lot in common. Great old bones from warehouses, compact downtowns, run down but coming back. Gbo is where Durham was 10 years ago.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
My BIL lives directly in downtown WS in a renovated warehouse and it's pretty damn nice there. Less distance to hit some really ****** spots than in Durham, but it's still growing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah it's a lot like the area of Durham around the ballpark around the time the DBAP and ATC first really opened in that regard. Really nice area, but you don't have to go very far to end up in a really ****** one.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
They're the most boring, vanilla, corporate franchise in sports that I can think of and symbolize everything that is wrong with mall-going, SUV-driving, Starbucks drinking, ring-sling baby carrying with pocket full of prescription painkillers while looking down your noses at everybody who lives in a smaller house than you and staring vacantly at your iPad white suburbia. If the Panthers were a store they'd be Old Navy. they wear teal for God's sake. Teal. Come on.

------------------------------------------------------

can't claim credit, just thought it was funny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad