Rumor: Carolina interested in Suter and DeAngelo, 2-3 mil apart from Nedeljkovic, and other fun gossip

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Seems pretty crazy to me, to potentially be $3M "apart" with Nedeljkovic. Like...he should probably only be in that $3-4M range to begin with. So to be $3M apart, means they're either seriously lowballing him, or more likely...he's asking for way too much.

Interest in Suter definitely checks out though. I think an awful lot of teams ought to be interested in him. But for Carolina, they're in a position to most likely lose a defenceman to Seattle via expansion, and could well lose a big piece like Dougie to UFA at the same time. I could definitely see them being a shopper in the market to re-bolster their defence corps, which was a real strength of what they were building there in recent years.
My guess is because it's a small sample size the team is offering him something like 1.5 and he wants more. And I remember reading that the Canes are potentially worried about his arbitration award after this past season, though I may be remembering that wrong.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
They probably will but Dundon can be a difficult cookie to figure out.

They flat out do not negotiate. They give you a number with a post-it note saying, "Take it or leave it", and very rarely do they go above that number, and not by much if so. Brind'Amour, Waddell and Aho are still here after tough negotiations. Brind'Amour's was more about making sure the assistant coaches and support staff got raises, and only Aho got significantly more than what the team was offering because he went the RFA route, when you compare the five year contract he got to the hypothetical first 5 year of an 8 year deal with 7.5aav the team was putatively offering.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
You actually believe that Hamilton will re-sign with Carolina and they're currently in the process on negotiating price and term? Hamilton is gone. Book it. Dundon won't pay what he's worth (he's losing too much money on the team as it is) and someone else will. They should have traded Hamilton last year. Now he's going to walk for nothing... just like Ferland did.
Yeah, Ferland was a major loss......not.
Dougie is getting over rated on this board. Sure, he put up points on a very good PP unit, but he didn't drive that PP unit.
On top of that, he kinda blows defensively. You would think he would use his size more effectively, but he doesn't. Canes would be happy to keep him around for what he is worth, but will gladly let him walk and have another team give him a stupid deal.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You can't pay a goalie big money on that small a sample size.

Dangelo in for Hamilton is as straight a swap as you are going to get. I know that if a vote was taken on worst teammate in the NHL Tony Dangelo would likely come in #1 but Hamilton likely cracks the top 5/10. Would be a very shrewd move to avoid paying Dougie and have no drop off.

They should be contenders for the next few years.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
You are so transparent lol. DeAngelo got walked. Just because Trouba gave the puck away easily seconds earlier doesn't change that fact, it was a 1v1 with Aho and Aho broke his ankles.

Anyway DeAngelo's talented, not sure if he fits the vibe of the team. He did get kicked off his last team for attacking the goalie after a tough loss, that's not the kind of locker room guy the 'Canes under RBA want. Suter... I mean the guy's 36, only to solidify the bottom pair at most.

Personally i never really liked deangelo very much but even i wont really kill him on that play. The majority of players and games right when hockey returned after a months ling layoff was very sloppy and players not ready to play.

Aho is an extremely talented player who could do that to any defenseman in the league. I dont need to see that play to determine how bad deangelo is defensively.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ne...lumns-blogs/luke-decock/article233585707.html

“I’m not going to pay what other guys pay GMs, so me having a contract with a GM doesn’t really help me,” Dundon said.

Dundon doesn't believe in paying for the GM position because he thinks a committee approach is more effective and efficient. Dundon does believe in paying $4+ million in cash for a 1st round pick. Maybe discerning would be a better description than cheap.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Dundon doesn't believe in paying for the GM position because he thinks a committee approach is more effective and efficient. Dundon does believe in paying $4+ million in cash for a 1st round pick. Maybe discerning would be a better description than cheap.
Frugal would be the word I'd use, although that's just a distinction without a difference.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Seems to be working out ok so far. God forbid someone goes against the grain.
What’s funny is that the geniuses on HF shit all over the Canes when Dundon “missed out” on Fenton, other up and coming GMs, as well as “real” coaches and instead hired Waddell and Brind’amour. A few years later, they complained about Dundon not offering these top notch guys enough (even though he got them signed) lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad