Rumor: Carolina interested in Suter and DeAngelo, 2-3 mil apart from Nedeljkovic, and other fun gossip

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
that's why they made that deal with Edmonton the other day
They still need to give him a QO. To my knowledge so far they haven't.
They may, or they may not. They probably will but Dundon can be a difficult cookie to figure out. I figured for sure that Dundon would re-sign Hamilton yet it appears that he's going to free agency and Carolina doesn't have a capable goalie under contract yet. Can't wait to see which goalie they decide to protect..

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He would absolutely kill it there. Especially on the PP. his stretch passes/and vision, with that offense would be lethal. Perfect buy low candidate for them.
I love how everyone was saying he’s done in the NHL, obviously teams want him, just not at the salary the rangers gave him with the character questions. For 1-1.5 mill on a year-2yr deal there would be a lot of suitors.
Teams above all else, look to add game breaking talent to their rosters as cheap as possible. Getting DeAngelo for cheap on 3rd pair is a risk GMs are willing to take, even with the attitude/ locker room questions. Because above all else, it’s talent that wins on the ice. They will try to mentor and mold the attitude issues in the locker room.
Has DeAngelo even played since the incident? Has he worked out and stayed in shape? Who knows how rusty he is...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They still need to give him a QO. To my knowledge so far they haven't.
They may, or they may not. They probably will but Dundon can be a difficult cookie to figure out.

No, it's really not that difficult to figure this one out, when they specifically traded for a guy so they could expose him.

Reactions: Chrispy and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I figured for sure that Dundon would re-sign Hamilton yet it appears that he's going to free agency and Carolina doesn't have a capable goalie under contract yet. Can't wait to see which goalie they decide to protect..

None of Getzlaf, Ovechkin, Hall, Suter, Krecji, Rask, Stepan, Statsny, Edler, Saad, Landeskog, Schwartz, Anderson, Palmieri, Barrie, Granlund, Haula, Coleman, Hoffman, Larsson, etc.. etc.. are signed right now. Yet, Dundon is an enigma because Hamilton isn't signed yet?

Weird take. It's called negotiations (as well as complications of the expansion draft).

The goalie situation is not very complicated.

Wells will almost certainly get a QO and be exposed, and barring a last minute trade, Ned will almost certainly be protected.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW it's in DeAngelo's interest if he ends up in Carolina to be on the straight and narrow. I think if he f***s up again his days in the NHL are over. He's a talented player--can run a power play for real. His defending has always been shaky though so he needs a really reliable partner and don't expect him to kill penalties.

For the record as a Rangers fan I don't like him very much.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Canes fans - what's the deal with Niederreiter? Is he part of the future of your team, or do you see him as expendable?

Would getting rid of him now help navigate the ED/summer cap situation? What would a potential return for him look like given that he's only 1 year away from UFA?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
None of Getzlaf, Ovechkin, Hall, Suter, Krecji, Rask, Stepan, Statsny, Edler, Saad, Landeskog, Schwartz, Anderson, Palmieri, Barrie, Granlund, Haula, Coleman, Hoffman, Larsson, etc.. etc.. are signed right now. Yet, Dundon is an enigma because Hamilton isn't signed yet?

Weird take. It's called negotiations (as well as complications of the expansion draft).

Wells will almost certainly get a QO and be exposed, and barring a last minute trade, Ned will almost certainly be protected.
You actually believe that Hamilton will re-sign with Carolina and they're currently in the process on negotiating price and term? Hamilton is gone. Book it. Dundon won't pay what he's worth (he's losing too much money on the team as it is) and someone else will. They should have traded Hamilton last year. Now he's going to walk for nothing... just like Ferland did.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
You actually believe that Hamilton will re-sign with Carolina and they're currently in the process on negotiating price and term? Hamilton is gone. Book it. Dundon won't pay what he's worth (he's losing too much money on the team as it is) and someone else will. They should have traded Hamilton last year. Now he's going to walk for nothing... just like Ferland did.

He spent to the cap last season and the year before that.

This narrative is so silly. The Canes have two young players that are on track to get big raises over the next 12 months or so. The team is trying to navigate through that. It’s not unlike what Colorado is doing with Landeskog right now. No one is accusing the Avs of being poor.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You actually believe that Hamilton will re-sign with Carolina and they're currently in the process on negotiating price and term?

a) Yes, I think they are still having discussions.
b) No, I think it is likely that Hamilton does not re-sign (and have said so for a while), because some team out there is going to pay more than Carolina is willing to. Likely that team will regret it a few years down the road.
c) That doesn't make Dundon hard to figure out. Most FA's are not yet signed so the situation isn't much different than those.

Hamilton is gone. Book it. Dundon won't pay what he's worth (he's losing too much money on the team as it is) and someone else will.

Well, Dundon is spending close to the cap every year, so not paying Hamilton doesn't have much to do with "he's losing too much money", it has to do with how much the team is willing to spend on each player. I'd like to keep Hamilton, but if it's an 8 year deal north of $8M, I'd probably let him walk as well. They have Svechnikov to sign this year, holes to fill in the roster (only at 12 players and $30M cap space right now), Necas to sign next year as well as re-signing/replacing guys like Trochek and Nino the following year. It's not just about how much Dougie is worth right now, it's about the big, long term picture.

Some team will pay for him, and likely Overpay, like GMs do in free agency. Doesn't mean the Canes should. If they can work out a deal that works for both sides, fine. If not, then so be it.

They should have traded Hamilton last year. Now he's going to walk for nothing... just like Ferland did.

LOL...Yes, letting Ferland walk for nothing really set the team back. What a poor example.

Canes didn't trade him because they wanted to make a push this past year in the playoffs and wanted Hamilton for that push. Typical HF mantra though. You should trade a guy rather than losing him for nothing even if it makes sense to keep him for a push that year.

If Canes would have traded him last year, you and others would have complained about Dundon doing that as well. It's predictable.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
a) Yes, I think they are still having discussions.
b) No, I think it is likely that Hamilton does not re-sign (and have said so for a while), because some team out there is going to pay more than Carolina is willing to. Likely that team will regret it a few years down the road.
c) That doesn't make Dundon hard to figure out. Most FA's are not yet signed so the situation isn't much different than those.

Well, Dundon is spending close to the cap every year, so not paying Hamilton doesn't have much to do with "he's losing too much money", it has to do with how much the team is willing to spend on each player. I'd like to keep Hamilton, but if it's an 8 year deal north of $8M, I'd probably let him walk as well. They have Svechnikov to sign this year, holes to fill in the roster (only at 12 players and $30M cap space right now), Necas to sign next year as well as re-signing/replacing guys like Trochek and Nino the following year. It's not just about how much Dougie is worth right now, it's about the big, long term picture.

Some team will pay for him, and likely Overpay, like GMs do in free agency. Doesn't mean the Canes should. If they can work out a deal that works for both sides, fine. If not, then so be it.

LOL...Yes, letting Ferland walk for nothing really set the team back. What a poor example.

Canes didn't trade him because they wanted to make a push this past year in the playoffs and wanted Hamilton for that push. Typical HF mantra though. You should trade a guy rather than losing him for nothing even if it makes sense to keep him for a push that year.

If Canes would have traded him last year, you and others would have complained about Dundon doing that as well. It's predictable.
Ferland had value. If Carolina was only interested in keeping him for a year they should have flipped him. In the 2017-2018 season he scored 21 goals and had 20 assists and thats not taking into account what a hard nose player he was (a Cane fan favorite I might add). Instead your team let him walk as a UFA because Dundon didn't think he was worth the $3.5M that Vancouver offered him. What a waste of a very good player that Carolina could have re-signed. Yes... I know it didn't turn out so well for Vancouver because of injuries but that's crystal ball stuff and Carolina didn't know that.
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Nino and Trochek walk as UFAs next year also. Just poor player management from what I can see. Hamilton is just too valuable and coveted by other teams to let it get this far where he's 12 days away from UFA status. The Flames survived, in fact they did quite well, when they traded him and so would have the Canes.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ferland had value. If Carolina was only interested in keeping him for a year they should have flipped him. In the 2017-2018 season he scored 21 goals and had 20 assists and thats not taking into account what a hard nose player he was (a Cane fan favorite I might add). Instead your team let him walk as a UFA because Dundon didn't think he was worth the $3.5M that Vancouver offered him.

Canes were looking at trading him at the deadline that year, but he was injured and there was no market for him at the deadline. There were multiple outlets reporting that Canes were looking to move him. Nobody wanted him (or at least weren't willing to give up much) because of his injuries.

What a waste of a very good player that Carolina could have re-signed. Yes... I know it didn't turn out so well for Vancouver because of injuries but that's crystal ball stuff and Carolina didn't know that.

LOL. He couldn't stay healthy with Carolina and had another concussion with them and kept getting injured in the playoffs. Yes, there's no crystal ball, but there were a lot of information out there that he wasn't going to be able to stay healthy. You are ignoring the information out there if you don't want to see that. Him getting injured in VAN was not surprising at all.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Nino and Trochek walk as UFAs next year also. Just poor player management from what I can see. Hamilton is just too valuable and coveted by other teams to let it get this far where he's 12 days away from UFA status.

I think a lot of what happens with Nino and Trocheck depends on how things go with Jarvis, Suzuki, Rees, Drury, Necas (can he play C), etc.. over the next year. I disagree it's "poor player management" to lose guys as UFAs. I'd rather keep those guys this year for a run at the cup and if we lose them as UFAs and have backfills, so be it. No problem with that if we have up coming backfills. If they get moved sooner, fine.

And your "they should have traded Dougie this year" is absolute nonsense. They were trying to win a cup.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Canes fans - what's the deal with Niederreiter? Is he part of the future of your team, or do you see him as expendable?

Would getting rid of him now help navigate the ED/summer cap situation? What would a potential return for him look like given that he's only 1 year away from UFA?

Nino's not an issue for the ED:

7F: Staal (NMC), Aho, TT, Svech, Trocheck, Nino, Foegele (Necas is exempt).
Expose: Fast, Geekie, Lorentz
3D: Slavin, Pesce and either Skjei or Bean.
Expose: Hamilton (UFA), Gardiner, and either Bean or Skjei.

Regarding Nino, I "think" the Canes want to keep him for the year, but you never know. He's been a solid goal scorer (2nd best behind Aho when looking at 5v5 scoring) and if anything, the Canes want an upgrade at forward. That said, if one or two of the prospects (Jarvis, Suzuki, Dury, Rees, Book, etc..) really blow the doors off in camp, I could see the Canes possibly moving him, but it won't likely be before the ED.

Re: the Cap situation, it depends on a few things. Mainly, What happens with Hamilton. If Hamilton goes elsewhere (which I think will probably happen), then there won't be a cap concern. If Hamilton does re-sign, then it depends on who they lose in the expansion draft (Skjei or Bean). Lastly, what happens with Gardiner and that's anybody's guess.

To make a short story long, I don't expect the Canes to move Nino before the season, but there are a lot of factors that could change that, particularly as it gets closer to the season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems pretty crazy to me, to potentially be $3M "apart" with Nedeljkovic. Like...he should probably only be in that $3-4M range to begin with. So to be $3M apart, means they're either seriously lowballing him, or more likely...he's asking for way too much.

Interest in Suter definitely checks out though. I think an awful lot of teams ought to be interested in him. But for Carolina, they're in a position to most likely lose a defenceman to Seattle via expansion, and could well lose a big piece like Dougie to UFA at the same time. I could definitely see them being a shopper in the market to re-bolster their defence corps, which was a real strength of what they were building there in recent years.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Canes were looking at trading him at the deadline that year, but he was injured and there was no market for him at the deadline. There were multiple outlets reporting that Canes were looking to move him. Nobody wanted him (or at least weren't willing to give up much) because of his injuries.

LOL. He couldn't stay healthy with Carolina and had another concussion with them and kept getting injured in the playoffs. Yes, there's no crystal ball, but there were a lot of information out there that he wasn't going to be able to stay healthy. You are ignoring the information out there if you don't want to see that. Him getting injured in VAN was not surprising at all.

I think a lot of what happens with Nino and Trocheck depends on how things go with Jarvis, Suzuki, Rees, Drury, Necas (can he play C), etc.. over the next year. I disagree it's "poor player management" to lose guys as UFAs. I'd rather keep those guys this year for a run at the cup and if we lose them as UFAs and have backfills, so be it. No problem with that if we have up coming backfills. If they get moved sooner, fine.

And your "they should have traded Dougie this year" is absolute nonsense. They were trying to win a cup.

Between this thread the jersey thread dude is just a glutton for punishment.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
My point is that even the best of the best miss a lot, all the time. Gold has more insight to the team than many want to believe because they aren't very fond of him. I rarely listen to his show and am not a big fan, but can acknowledge that he has connections into the team.

Personally I think Adam Gold is a bit of a douche who is wrong a bit more than right....about all sports. That said he was right about the Victor Rask contract and I had to eat crow on that one. But I don't believe he is "personally" in the know with the Canes front office. I do believe that Alec Campbell, who does the pre- and post-game radio work for the Canes is. If I'm not mistaken he's Gold's producer for his daytime radio gig. So there's a connection, but 1 person removed.

Ferland had value. If Carolina was only interested in keeping him for a year they should have flipped him. In the 2017-2018 season he scored 21 goals and had 20 assists and thats not taking into account what a hard nose player he was (a Cane fan favorite I might add). Instead your team let him walk as a UFA because Dundon didn't think he was worth the $3.5M that Vancouver offered him.

As @Boom Boom Apathy said, Ferland had at least 1 and possible 2 concussions during his time with the Canes. They may have tried to move him, but were also satisfied with keeping him for an "own rental" which ended up not working out because of injuries. And I'm sure Vancouver is really psyched about the contract they signed with him.

Reactions: Tryamw

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Personally I think Adam Gold is a bit of a douche who is wrong a bit more than right....about all sports. That said he was right about the Victor Rask contract and I had to eat crow on that one. But I don't believe he is "personally" in the know with the Canes front office. I do believe that Alec Campbell, who does the pre- and post-game radio work for the Canes is. If I'm not mistaken he's Gold's producer for his daytime radio gig. So there's a connection, but 1 person removed.

As @Boom Boom Apathy said, Ferland had at least 1 and possible 2 concussions during his time with the Canes. They may have tried to move him, but were also satisfied with keeping him for an "own rental" which ended up not working out because of injuries. And I'm sure Vancouver is really psyched about the contract they signed with him.
ferland could have easily have had five or more concussions with the hurricanes. he kept leaving games early with "upper body" injuries (11 times by my count), typically missing a game or two, coming back, then rinse and repeat. maybe those were other types of upper body injuries but in either case the red flegs that he was prone to injury were all there. from what sara civian reported at the times the hurricanes reportedly made no attempt to even negotiate with him. it wasn't about money it was that the ferland was damaged goods. you don't need a "crystal ball" to know that michael ferland is injury prone. i can't believe the hurricanes are getting criticized for not matching the canucks offer. how well has that deal turned out for the canucks?!

also the hurricanes gave similar money (3.375m vs 3.5m) to dzingel but less term that summer. dzingel was a flop here (outside of the first 15 games) but they were able to cut bait with him quickly, while they would have been stuck with ferland for another two years. if it was about saving money then why did they gave similar money to another player? it was about not wanting to commit long term to an injury prone player.

as noted dundon has spent close to the cap in all three full years as owner. that's not being cheap. he has values he sets on players that he's not willing to budge much on, but *overall* he's willing to spend the money to ice a competitive team every year. what's the problem? the fact that he's unwilling to shell out big money long term deals to guys like michael ferland is a positive, not a negative. you'll notice that the hurricanes are not reported to be interested in giving a huge deal to zach hyman despite having the cap space. that's because tom dundon is not a moron.

Last edited:

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
I would guess the cane's are at 1.5-2 mil, so Ned's at 4-5 mil??? Don't think he has enough of a track record for that much. 2-3 makes sense.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Dundon is famously cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad