Proposal: Carolina-Edmonton

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Says who? Edmonton's prospect pool is WEAK. Bottom 10 in the league. We've got one of the worst farm teams in the league despite blowing chunks for so many years.

If Hanifin was a right handed d-man Edmonton would be all over this like a cat on catnip.

Edmonton gets 2 quality roster players that play positions Edmonton is lacking in depth and they get another prospect to help the prospect pool out.
1. Hanifin is not a RHD...
2. Quality >> Quantity

Prospect pool can be filled up with college grads or by giving up unwanted plauers... see Benning/Caggiula etc.

Chia would certainly be fired if he trades Drai for lesser players.. he needs to win a trade or 10.

Hanifin is not someone you would put all your money in...
Larsson was much more established than Hanifin when we decided to trade our other franchise player... Drai is no less than Hall

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Decent value sure but I wouldn’t trade Draisaitl to Carolina for anything they’d reasonably offer - I’m talking Slavin+Aho level stupidity MIGHT get me listening.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
As a canes fan I wouldnt do the proposed deal...

Faulk, Lindholm and something around that.

Though I must say I would hate giving up Lindholm. I really think he is about to figure it out.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Not big on Hanifin. Thought he was over-rated in his draft, and was clear that I thought Provorov would be the best Dman available. Maybe it's actually Werenski, who has surprised me a bit, but I still had Werenski ahead of Hanifin too. I see Hanifin as a great 2nd pairing Dman, below average first pairing. Maybe I'll be mistaken, but that's my position on him and his potential. He still has a lot of things to put together in his game, while Drai is closer to his potential and a bigger difference maker with respect to their position.

Not trading a young PPG (or darn close to it) forward locked up long-term to a contract that will get better and better as the cap goes up for someone who's 2nd pairing Dman, IMO. We need someone a little better, with all due respect to Noah.

I mean, it's not awful, but just want a better Dman coming back as the main piece in any trade, and should be a right-shot (though I know Hanifin can play on the right side at a certain level of effectiveness). I know Drai would solve a lot of issues for you guys, but I'm not sold on Hanifin doing the same for us. I'd prefer a 1-for-1 like the Seth Jones trade. If we're going to trade Drai we should look for that type of deal out there. We need a top-pairing RHD, and Hanifin is just not that, even if my assessment of him as probably being 2nd pairing material is off; he's still not a natural RHD, nor has he shown the offensive potential we really need.

This would be another Hall/Larrson trade, except we also get a 1st and a rather 'meh' player. Like I said, it's not awful, but not enough to make me want to do it. We need to clearly win the next big trade we make, and this isn't clear enough to me. Chia is gonna need to bend someone over to win me back, and this trade isn't that. While that probably isn't realistic, it's a deserved expectation from the Oiler fans after selling short on both Hall and Eberle.

Maybe I'm off, but it's my 2 cents.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
1. Hanifin is not a RHD...
2. Quality >> Quantity

Prospect pool can be filled up with college grads or by giving up unwanted plauers... see Benning/Caggiula etc.

Chia would certainly be fired if he trades Drai for lesser players.. he needs to win a trade or 10.

Hanifin is not someone you would put all your money in...
Larsson was much more established than Hanifin when we decided to trade our other franchise player... Drai is no less than Hall

I think you missed my point. I turned the trade down. I said that IF he was a righty I'd be into it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Edmonton doesn’t trade Draisaitl for potential and Carolina would only trade Hanifin++ for a proven 1C. Lock it up.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think Faulk is more of a guy the Oilers could get for Drai than is Hanifin. A package of Drai, Lindholm and a 2018 1st for Drai would work IMO.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Think Faulk is more of a guy the Oilers could get for Drai than is Hanifin. A package of Drai, Lindholm and a 2018 1st for Drai would work IMO.

I would do Faulk, Lindholm and the 2018 1st for Draisaitl. Faulk has his problems, but his shot is a big advantage, especially on the PP.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Just wondering how Canes & Edmonton fans would feel about Skinner for RNH? I'm not a big fan of RNH, thinking he is probably a very low end 1C or a good 2c, but that's probably better than Carolina has right now.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Just wondering how Canes & Edmonton fans would feel about Skinner for RNH? I'm not a big fan of RNH, thinking he is probably a very low end 1C or a good 2c, but that's probably better than Carolina has right now.

Not enough coming to Edmonton IMHO. Besides, are you certain the 'Canes want to deal forwards?

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Not enough coming to Edmonton IMHO. Besides, are you certain the 'Canes want to deal forwards?
IMO, the Canes need a major overhaul, management and players. Skinner is a goal scorer that needs a good center to play with, Carolina doesn't have more than a low-tier 2nd line center on the roster. I would love to see a new GM come in and clean house. The only players I want to keep are Aho, TT, Slavin & Pesce, everybody else is available (some at not even the right price).

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
IMO, the Canes need a major overhaul, management and players. Skinner is a goal scorer that needs a good center to play with, Carolina doesn't have more than a low-tier 2nd line center on the roster. I would love to see a new GM come in and clean house. The only players I want to keep are Aho, TT, Slavin & Pesce, everybody else is available (some at not even the right price).

Yeah, like when he put up 37 last year with the likes of Rask and Ryan at center. :rolleyes:

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, like when he put up 37 last year with the likes of Rask and Ryan at center. :rolleyes:
Yeah, 37 goals and 26 assists with those guys. Wonder what would have been possible if another guy on his line was dangerous enough to draw a defender or score a freakin goal?

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Not sure who I would compare him to. Maybe some mixture of John Carlson and Duncan Keith or at least some comparisons to those guys. He doesn't have a big shot, but skates extremely well, can pass and jump in from time to time. He needs some more work in his own zone. I would love to keep him and allow him to develop, but the Canes have some defenseman and NEED a top center, so giving him up might be the only way to get that center.
He came into the draft compared to Carlson but that seems like wishful thinking now. Keith? Not now, not ever. Hanifin is an elite skater and little more at this point. Decent shot but mostly inaccurate. His decision-making is really poor and he consistently takes bad angles and routes to the puck. Mostly have been underwhelmed with him though there is still some upside to be had.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think most Oilers fans would be devastated if RNH was dealt for Skinner.

RNH is currently on McDavid's LW and has filled in perfectly.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
He came into the draft compared to Carlson but that seems like wishful thinking now. Keith? Not now, not ever. Hanifin is an elite skater and little more at this point. Decent shot but mostly inaccurate. His decision-making is really poor and he consistently takes bad angles and routes to the puck. Mostly have been underwhelmed with him though there is still some upside to be had.
I'm not sure why the Oilers would be interested in Hanifin anyway...he and Nurse are almost mimics of eachother except Doc really worked on his puck skills and has really toned down the jitteriness in his game..IMO hes better than Hanifin

Oilers also have no need for a LHD unless its a bonafide top end guy..like an OEL or something

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
As someone who would be willing to get Drai at any price, this makes me cringe.

I don't think most Canes would do it, even if I would personally bite the bullet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad