Proposal: Carolina-Edmonton

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I'm not sure why the Oilers would be interested in Hanifin anyway...he and Nurse are almost mimics of eachother except Doc really worked on his puck skills and has really toned down the jitteriness in his game..IMO hes better than Hanifin

Oilers also have no need for a LHD unless its a bonafide top end guy..like an OEL or something
Not sure I see the similarities really at all. Hanifin is the better skater without question but Nurse is much more physical and a better without the puck. He's come a long way but I don't think their skill set are that comparable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's played ~40% of the year with McDavid, who is either his first or second most common linemate.

Yes, because he’s also our best winger and he gets played with McDavid a lot when we’re down or need a goal.

Best winger. Second best centre. General beast. 9th in the NHL in even strength points. 55% on the dot. Not someone I’d move for anything Carolina would give up, up to and including Aho++.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Yes, because he’s also our best winger and he gets played with McDavid a lot when we’re down or need a goal.

Sure, but the context of the post you responded to was pointing out that he plays a lot of his time at wing with a generational center.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nurse is a very good skater. Hanifin is a great skater with better acceleration.
Well then Hanifin must be the best skater on his team considering mobility/skating is Nurse's srongest point.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Way too much for Drai. Would Carolina even trade Hanifin for Drai alone? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If Hopkins continues to play the way he has with McDavid, they need to keep Draisaitl as their second line center and have no need to make any major trades to get a winger for McDavid. They can trade their 1st round pick and other pieces to fill some needs hopefully.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
He also spends a lot of time with centre dragging around bums.
Isn't that somewhat a problem for you guys? Since McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic and RNH have the cap hit they do, the rest of the lineup is going to be filled out with "bums." If you could get 2 good to very good players or maybe even 3 good players to balance the forward lines more, would that make you a better overall team?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Just out of curiosity, do you consider Monahan to be a #1 C?

I do. The production is certainly there to justify it. If the Flames van fond another like him at the draft table then they would be sitting pretty!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Isn't that somewhat a problem for you guys? Since McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic and RNH have the cap hit they do, the rest of the lineup is going to be filled out with "bums." If you could get 2 good to very good players or maybe even 3 good players to balance the forward lines more, would that make you a better overall team?
I don't think its as simple as pointing the blame on 3 cap hits. The deployment of our players has been odd this year. They've been underplaying Puljarvi despite him playing well, in order to bring him along slowly. Khaira looked great next to Draisaitl, and was subsequently given control of his own line instead of being left on that wing. Nuge was only recently tried out on the wing at all, and its working like gangbusters. The issue isn't really that we're paying those three guys too much necessarily, its that our GM did a piss poor job of bringing in decent wingers even though he had some short term money to spend. He relied on young guys that mostly overperformed last year (Caguila, Slepyshev) to fill roles they couldn't, and his back up plan (Jokinen, then Camalleri) failed as well. What we need is better prospects, so we can call someone up if we need. But even then, they only recently called Rattie up to try him out. There has been a lot of issues with coaching this year, and I think that is just as much to blame with the Oilers struggles as anything else outside of Talbot letting in beach balls for the first half year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Hopkins continues to play the way he has with McDavid, they need to keep Draisaitl as their second line center and have no need to make any major trades to get a winger for McDavid. They can trade their 1st round pick and other pieces to fill some needs hopefully.
This. They might have the solution internally. They would have known that sooner if our coach wasn't an idiot.

Reactions: TrentonF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad