Proposal: Carolina-Edmonton

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
The Hurricanes are in need of some major changes as the culture is just horrible. They desperately need a center to play with Aho & TT.

Edmonton hasn't had a very good season and will be dedicating a bunch of money to a few players.

To Edmonton:
Hanifin-LD (RFA)
Lindholm-RW/C (RFA)
2018 1st Round Pick (unprotected)

To Carolina:
Draisaitl-C

Some will probably say not enough, some will probably say overpayment. But Carolina needs a change and I think makes a very good top line.

Reactions: thadd

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That is a really tricky thing. We love Drai, but at the same time we might be able to function with RNH as our 2C, and Lindholm adds to the depth, and it kind of fixes our cap in the process. I still have to lean no on this one.

I just read that Hanifin had a concussion. I'd also have to think that there's no way you'd give an unprotected 1st. A major injury or two and you are in trouble.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I just don't think you have to give up a high first-round pick and Hanifin for Draisaitl.
well it is not that high a pick. At this point it is not even top 10.

Plus we are talking about a near-elite established player in Drai, vs Hanifin, who has played decent so far but is not a finished product.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
well it is not that high a pick. At this point it is not even top 10.

Plus we are talking about a near-elite established player in Drai, vs Hanifin, who has played decent so far but is not a finished product.

I would agree with Hanifin + 2nd, but I really don't know about the first, especially if it's top-15, at least.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
The Hurricanes are in need of some major changes as the culture is just horrible. They desperately need a center to play with Aho & TT.

Edmonton hasn't had a very good season and will be dedicating a bunch of money to a few players.

To Edmonton:
Hanifin-LD (RFA)
Lindholm-RW/C (RFA)
2018 1st Round Pick (unprotected)

To Carolina:
Draisaitl-C

Some will probably say not enough, some will probably say overpayment. But Carolina needs a change and I think makes a very good top line.
That is way to much for a #2 C.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
That is a really tricky thing. We love Drai, but at the same time we might be able to function with RNH as our 2C, and Lindholm adds to the depth, and it kind of fixes our cap in the process. I still have to lean no on this one.

I just read that Hanifin had a concussion. I'd also have to think that there's no way you'd give an unprotected 1st. A major injury or two and you are in trouble.

Did you watch the Oil/Canes game last night? The Canes are in trouble without an injury or two. Honestly, the Canes have plenty of players and prospects with 2nd/3rd line ability or potential. A #1C allows for so much. JStaal can move to a 2nd line position and focus more on what he does best, play defense instead of trying to center the top line.

And I understand the concussion concerns, but didn't McDavid have one last year? Are you worried about him. I don't think it's a huge concern, but if you want Faulk instead of Hanifin, ok.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Did you watch the Oil/Canes game last night? The Canes are in trouble without an injury or two. Honestly, the Canes have plenty of players and prospects with 2nd/3rd line ability or potential. A #1C allows for so much. JStaal can move to a 2nd line position and focus more on what he does best, play defense instead of trying to center the top line.

And I understand the concussion concerns, but didn't McDavid have one last year? Are you worried about him. I don't think it's a huge concern, but if you want Faulk instead of Hanifin, ok.
McDavid did not have one (he had one in junior I think, not sure), however we are now seeing Ekblad playing like a 1D after many said that his career was in jeopardy because of concussions. So the concussion thing is not a deal breaker, just a concern.

How is Hanifin anyway? If he developed well, what Dman would he compare to?

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
McDavid did not have one (he had one in junior I think, not sure), however we are now seeing Ekblad playing like a 1D after many said that his career was in jeopardy because of concussions. So the concussion thing is not a deal breaker, just a concern.

How is Hanifin anyway? If he developed well, what Dman would he compare to?

Not sure who I would compare him to. Maybe some mixture of John Carlson and Duncan Keith or at least some comparisons to those guys. He doesn't have a big shot, but skates extremely well, can pass and jump in from time to time. He needs some more work in his own zone. I would love to keep him and allow him to develop, but the Canes have some defenseman and NEED a top center, so giving him up might be the only way to get that center.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not sure who I would compare him to. Maybe some mixture of John Carlson and Duncan Keith or at least some comparisons to those guys. He doesn't have a big shot, but skates extremely well, can pass and jump in from time to time. He needs some more work in his own zone. I would love to keep him and allow him to develop, but the Canes have some defenseman and NEED a top center, so giving him up might be the only way to get that center.
oh man that would be tempting to have a Carlson type, and of course if he becomes Keith then that's unreal.

I don't know if you know what our team is like, but our team's defense is useless in the offensive zone, so if there were some kind of deal around Drai and Hanifin I guess we'd have to consider it. It's just so much a part of our new identity that we will build around this pillar down the middle of McDavid and Drai, similar to the Pittsburgh model (not that Drai is as good as Malkin, mind you)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers dont need a Hanifin and are beyond collecting 1st round picks..
If anything Oilers should be packaging their 1st with other assets and becoming a contender...

There is no need to trade Drai just yet

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
oh man that would be tempting to have a Carlson type, and of course if he becomes Keith then that's unreal.

I don't know if you know what our team is like, but our team's defense is useless in the offensive zone, so if there were some kind of deal around Drai and Hanifin I guess we'd have to consider it. It's just so much a part of our new identity that we will build around this pillar down the middle of McDavid and Drai, similar to the Pittsburgh model (not that Drai is as good as Malkin, mind you)

I don't know your team all that well, but I do realize that Draisaitl would be extremely tough to give up. He's an excellent player now and has even more upside. But Hanifin could be a building block on defense, he has all the tools to be great, just hasn't put everything completely together yet. I think Lindholm would also be a very good player for you. He's good now, but play him with the skill of McDavid, I think he's a 60 point player that plays a two- way game. Throw in the 1st (which given your luck will probably end up top 3) and you have 3 very good players for the same price as 1 for the next 2 or 3 years.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
  • Good try. The value is good.
  • If Hanifin was right handed I don't think I'd be able to say no.
  • Saying the pick is unprotected at this point is unrealistic. The trade deadline is over and done with and there are roster players involved in this trade so you'd have to wait till the regular season is over before making this trade. Would Carolina make this trade if they knew that their 1st rounder was going to win the draft lottery 1 month later? Way too great of a risk. The fanbase would be saying horrible things about the mismanagement of assets for years. If it's the off-season or the regular season up until the trade deadline it makes sense to make 1st rounders unprotected if the value is good.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Oilers dont need a Hanifin and are beyond collecting 1st round picks..
If anything Oilers should be packaging their 1st with other assets and becoming a contender...

There is no need to trade Drai just yet

Says who? Edmonton's prospect pool is WEAK. Bottom 10 in the league. We've got one of the worst farm teams in the league despite blowing chunks for so many years.

If Hanifin was a right handed d-man Edmonton would be all over this like a cat on catnip.

Edmonton gets 2 quality roster players that play positions Edmonton is lacking in depth and they get another prospect to help the prospect pool out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad