Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Unless he goes back to his hart and vezina season form he will never live up to that contract. This contract is an absolute dead weight. The next goalie makes 2 million dollars less a season!! No team can win a cup with a goalie that's Not the best goalie making that much money.

Habs would have to eat half the contract to take price. At this point i just might do it. Can probably get a solid goalie between 3 to 5 million and improve our roster with the same cap hit plus the assets we get for price.
Blackhawks’ GM Stan Bowman agrees with you in not overpaying for good goaltending unlike that moronic Peter Chiarelli who gave Tukka Rask $7M for 7 years (remember it was Tim Thomas who won the 2011 Cup for the Bruins) even though Julien’s defence first strategy was paying dividends back then. Chiarelli and Bergevin are in the same camp in that respect.

Last edited:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
He got Therrien fired didn't he? Maybe he's working on Bergevin now. :laugh:
How often do you see teams firing a head coach whose club was in first place? Teams have fired head coaches whose teams were in playoff contention like Sweet Lou dumping Robbie Fitorek (and replacing him with Larry Robinson who won the Cup that season) and Claude Julien out of the blue.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Agree because most 2nd goalies doesn't want to start every game. They are not constant enough, not enough nhl experience or strong physically to do that.
A few years ago after Jonathan Quick was seriously injured, Peter Budaj (whom the Habs didn’t want and banished him to St. John’s) took over and became the regular puck stopper and he relished playing every game. The same applied to then Habs’ rookie Mike Condon. Backup goalies want to be No. 1 on their team and any goalie who is content with being a backup deserved to be released.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Blackhawks’ GM Stan Bowman agrees with you in not overpaying for good goaltending unlike that moronic Peter Chiarelli who gave Tukka Rask $7M for 7 years even though Julien’s defence first strategy was paying dividends back then. Chiarelli and Bergevin are in the same camp in that respect.
Ya no kidding, in a cap world if you have a good defensive squad...why double down on defense and overpay for a goalie? It's overkill. You bring up Rask, Khudobin has essentially the same numbers as him.

Lol yah, chia and bergevin are similar. It's a good reason why they couldn't pull off the Subban deal, they couldn't figure out who would definitely lose the trade so they decided lose majorly in separate deals.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How often do you see teams firing a head coach whose club was in first place? Teams have fired head coaches whose teams were in playoff contention like Sweet Lou dumping Robbie Fitorek (and replacing him with Larry Robinson who won the Cup that season) and Claude Julien out of the blue.

Not sure how this related in any way to my post.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Against the Caps, he allowed 6 goals and I bet underneath that hallowed Canadiens mask of his, he was seething at Benn, Alzner, Petry, and Julien. I thought for sure that after a 3-goal first period, Julien would pull him in favour of Niemi. Julien will start Niemi against the Red Wings on Monday and will decide game by game when to play Price next time.
Bringing Price back at the tail end of this dumpster fire of a season was plain stupid. He's done so much for this franchise, we should have let him take the last 2 weeks off. Something isn't right with him this year. No properly run organization would have returned him to the lineup this late.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He got Therrien fired didn't he? Maybe he's working on Bergevin now. :laugh:

I believe Price is a fierce competitor and sees his dream has slipped away. I'm sure there were assurances that we would return to a contending position in our division, while at the same time his agent was never going to let him refuse that deal. The Cap Space Fiasco shook us all pretty hard and yeah The loss of both Markov and Radulov for no return took the floor out from under us.

If the team competes on a nightly basis next year my gut feeling us Price will be just as competitive. I don't believe he's done but he certainly lost his motivation. None of the other so called leaders other than Gallagher could take him to task for it. Based on previous seasons I doubt Brendan would have said much if anything.

"We've lost our Identity" is still the telltale remark in my books and this year it got worse as pieces got ripped away.

On to the Lottery!

Reactions: groovejuice

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I still think he can come back, maybe he needs inspiration? I remember swearing about him when Canada beat Sweden in the Olympic final in Russia.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I believe Price is a fierce competitor and sees his dream has slipped away. I'm sure there were assurances that we would return to a contending position in our division, while at the same time his agent was never going to let him refuse that deal. The Cap Space Fiasco shook us all pretty hard and yeah The loss of both Markov and Radulov for no return took the floor out from under us.

If the team competes on a nightly basis next year my gut feeling us Price will be just as competitive. I don't believe he's done but he certainly lost his motivation. None of the other so called leaders other than Gallagher could take him to task for it. Based on previous seasons I doubt Brendan would have said much if anything.

"We've lost our Identity" is still the telltale remark in my books and this year it got worse as pieces got ripped away.

On to the Lottery!

They lost their identity in 15/16 and Pacioretty did and said nothing as a captain. He needed Price holding his hand to come out to the media and make that quote a year later. This team stinks and should’ve been blown apart after the epic collapse 2 years ago and here we are. With a team that’s broken and a goalie who has become a liability. What the hell are the fans suppose to hold onto?

Reactions: mariolemieux66

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
They lost their identity in 15/16 and Pacioretty did and said nothing as a captain. He needed Price holding his hand to come out to the media and make that quote a year later. This team stinks and should’ve been blown apart after the epic collapse 2 years ago and here we are. With a team that’s broken and a goalie who has become a liability. What the hell are the fans suppose to hold onto?
Speaking of Patches ... The captaincy had been weighing on him and his cliche responses were tiring to hear. For his sake, strip the C off of his jersey and be like the Leafs and have no captain. Since he wasn't dealt at the February 2018 trade deadline, at the next opportunity, Bergy better deal him.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I still think he can come back, maybe he needs inspiration? I remember swearing about him when Canada beat Sweden in the Olympic final in Russia.
Carey Price excelled at international competition and like Ovie, Crosby and especially Connor McDavid, Price was not happy the NHL didn't participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics. Perhaps after Team Canada NHL had participated and won the Gold Medal again, Price might have been a different goalie for the Habs.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hes playing well this year but he's certainly not a starter.
Career numbers for Goalie - #of games played - GAA - save %
Quick - 551 - 2.42 - 922
Price - 554 - 2.46 - 919
Niemi - 444 - 2.51 - 913
Loungo - 996 - 2.50 - 919
Lundqvist - 801 - 2.36 - 919
Rask - 443 - 2.25 - 922
Crawford - 409 - 2.37 - 919
Howard - 457 - 2.49 - 915
Anderson - 252 - 2.54 - 918

You want to tell me again he's not a starter. Over his career he is not elite but he is a damn fine goalie. Now if you tell me he'll break under the pressure of playing 65-70 games a season, I'll grant you that point. But for 50 - maybe 55 - games a year you'll get a good goalie for another 2 tops 3 years. Writing this post convinced me we should trade Price for a young center prospect and whatever else we can get and put Niemi in with a good backup. And I don't think that's Lindgren.He needs another year and even then may never make it to the NHL.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The Habs might sign Niemi at this point...
Even if Bergy re-signs Niemi, it won't be much more than the $700,000 or so he's currently earning. Bergy signed Al Montoya and then dispatched him to the Oilers when he became healthy again.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Ya no kidding, in a cap world if you have a good defensive squad...why double down on defense and overpay for a goalie? It's overkill. You bring up Rask, Khudobin has essentially the same numbers as him.

Lol yah, chia and bergevin are similar. It's a good reason why they couldn't pull off the Subban deal, they couldn't figure out who would definitely lose the trade so they decided lose majorly in separate deals.

I see this argument all the time but it's very misleading. Yes the backups to great goalies often have similar/better stats then then #1 goalie but they benefit hugely from playing against weaker teams. Put them in a starting role and their numbers will take a nose dive.

But your right that it makes no sense to spend a ton of money on defensive players and a then spend a ton on a goalie. With a superstar goalie you are better off cheaping out on the D. You probably still want that 2-way #1 D, but after that you don't need to spend too much. Get some guys who are good in transition but maybe otherwise struggle defensively and you should be fine.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I see this argument all the time but it's very misleading. Yes the backups to great goalies often have similar/better stats then then #1 goalie but they benefit hugely from playing against weaker teams. Put them in a starting role and their numbers will take a nose dive.

But your right that it makes no sense to spend a ton of money on defensive players and a then spend a ton on a goalie. With a superstar goalie you are better off cheaping out on the D. You probably still want that 2-way #1 D, but after that you don't need to spend too much. Get some guys who are good in transition but maybe otherwise struggle defensively and you should be fine.

You could use Andersen and McBackup in Toronto as a current example of this.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Career numbers for Goalie - #of games played - GAA - save %
Quick - 551 - 2.42 - 922
Price - 554 - 2.46 - 919
Niemi - 444 - 2.51 - 913
Loungo - 996 - 2.50 - 919
Lundqvist - 801 - 2.36 - 919
Rask - 443 - 2.25 - 922
Crawford - 409 - 2.37 - 919
Howard - 457 - 2.49 - 915
Anderson - 252 - 2.54 - 918

You want to tell me again he's not a starter. Over his career he is not elite but he is a damn fine goalie. Now if you tell me he'll break under the pressure of playing 65-70 games a season, I'll grant you that point. But for 50 - maybe 55 - games a year you'll get a good goalie for another 2 tops 3 years. Writing this post convinced me we should trade Price for a young center prospect and whatever else we can get and put Niemi in with a good backup. And I don't think that's Lindgren.He needs another year and even then may never make it to the NHL.
He hasn't played >50 games since 14-15, and while he did play 48 in 15-16 he had a .905 sv%.

I mean, he might be able to split duties next year with Lindgren next season, if our objective is to be bad again.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He hasn't played >50 games since 14-15, and while he did play 48 in 15-16 he had a .905 sv%.

I mean, he might be able to split duties next year with Lindgren next season, if our objective is to be bad again.
His two sub par seasons were the ones he played in Dallas - a team that lacked defence. Now we have to decide whether those numbers are due to his decline or the team he was playing on.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Wasn't that the decimated Swedish team? I don't remember him pulling any miracles.

upload_2018-3-25_14-16-53.png

Don't remember which team played in the final but this was the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad