Confirmed Trade: [CAR/VGK] Max Pacioretty and Dylan Coghlan for future considerations

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
To top it off Vegas lost Suzuki + a 2nd in a deal with Montreal. Ouch.
and got 230+ games, 220+ points out of that player during multiple win now seasons.
for an untested prospect with potential (who now makes more than Patch) and what eventually turned into a C level prospect (Norlinder) and a prospect who never got a contract (LeGuerrier)

The ouch is not getting anything better in return at least immediately

Reactions: Ole Gil

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
and got 230+ games, 220+ points out of that player during multiple win now seasons.
for an untested prospect with potential (who now makes more than Patch) and what eventually turned into a C level prospect (Norlinder) and a prospect who never got a contract (LeGuerrier)

And Tatar. Who was a cap dump at the time but did extrenely well in Montreal.

Vegas has been screwing up their asset management really bad after that first season.

Giving away a player of Pacioretty's caliber is embarassingly bad asset management. Even worst, they paid the Canes a Dylan Coghlan to take him...

Reactions: Eegs and AslanRH

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
All is forgiven if they win a cup. They are probably just as likely to miss the playoffs as even win a round, but watch this be the year they somehow put it together.

The West is arguably weaker than last year. It could happen.

That said, another miss or an early exit and if we thought they had been ruthless before - suspect we see a whole nother level.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Vegas is so screwed after this win now period is over. Players won't sign under this disloyal management.

Reactions: uncleben

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

It's about assest management. Terrible by Vegas.

ChickenDinner

Mar 20, 2022
Are there people defending this from a Vegas perspective? Vegas has stopped using the winning winning formula of the first season. Management is burning bridges everywhere it seems like, from an outsider perspective.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
VGK front office taking short-sightedness to dizzying new heights. It kinda fits the city, though. Tons of flash, little substance. Unfortunately for them, what happens in Vegas isn't staying in Vegas anymore. It's being broadcast to the entire NHL: "We care about our players until we don't, and your clock has started ticking." In only a few short years, they're going to go from one of the most desired FA locations to a team who can only interest players looking mainly for money. Kinda fitting lol. Reduce it to something like a prostitute/john relationship. They're not paying them for their services, they're paying them to leave.

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
Vegas somehow managed to go from being absolute heroes and cup contenders from the start, to firing and trading away everything good they had going.
It looks like the more they hire, fire and trade the worse they get, at the same time as the cap gradually comes closer. Will have no room to make any moves, and won't be attractive in any way.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
They pushed things too far. Got a little too aggressive.

The main issue was that there was not enough guys on RFA contracts and too many guys on their third (UFA) contracts with big money. I'm not even talking about ELCs, I'm talking about depth guys making 3M instead of 6M to balance out the roster a bit.

Karlsson, Stone, Patches, Marchessault, Smith, Stephenson, Pietrangelo, Lehner, Martinez, Theodore, McNabb, etc.. It got really unbalanced with buying UFA years from players. Patches, EIchel, Stone. If they had just stopped at 2 or the three they could have made it work assets-wise. Or if they had focused on a "big three" and dumped some depth for some less skilled, but cheaper, guys to fill out the roster a bit more.
ey distribution.

Why did they trade for Dadonov when they knew they were also signing Pietrangelo and going hard after Eichel? If you're going to have Mark Stone, you have to know he's going to miss 20-30 games like clockwork. You need depth behind him. If you're going to have a 10M center, that's fine, Eichel is worth it. You can't have-your-cake with William Karlsson too though. He's been declining for, what, 4 seasons now and you still have him signed for 5.9 Million for 5 more years? He should have been gone the moment you decided to grab EIchel and saw you already had Patches, Stone, and Piertrangelo on your team.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Vegas, as a result of some shrewd moves came into the league as a cup contender, with a deep prospect pool. They looked like they would contend for quite some time.
Now they have a pretty mediocre, aging roster with no depth and no prospect pool, and are right up to the cap the next two years.
I can't see this team making the playoffs this year or next, even in a soft pacific division.

• Haha
Reactions: RapidKnight

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Sure teams trade players but nobody bleeds players out like Vegas.

The way they go about their business is garbage
Not denying they haven't made dumb trades, but "their business" is just improving their roster, like any other team.

I mean in this case it was either trading Pstches or letting Reilly Smith walk, so either way they'd lose a long-time member.

Vegas, as a result of some shrewd moves came into the league as a cup contender, with a deep prospect pool. They looked like they would contend for quite some time.
Now they have a pretty mediocre, aging roster with no depth and no prospect pool, and are right up to the cap the next two years.
I can't see this team making the playoffs this year or next, even in a soft pacific division.
I mean their roster on paper is at least as good as their 2020 team. They only missed the playoffs last year due to massive injuries.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not denying they haven't made dumb trades, but "their business" is just improving their roster, like any other team.

I mean in this case it was either trading Pstches or letting Reilly Smith walk, so either way they'd lose a long-time member.

I mean their roster on paper is at least as good as their 2020 team. They only missed the playoffs last year due to massive injuries.
I'm pretty sure trading Pacioretty for draft capital or prospects would have been potentially improving their future roster more so than what they did. I really don't buy that no team was going to give up anything of value to Vegas for Pacioretty.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

I disagree, but we will see how it plays out. They've lost Fluery, Patches, Tuch, and really only added Eichel (who I admittedly think is grossly over rated for the $ he is paid).

Their biggest downfall is in goal. Lehner isn't good enough for what he is paid, and they need a backup to play 30+ games. They don't have the $ for a 1B. Lehner hasn't played much more than 1/2 a teams games in 6 years.

Keep in mind they have a lot of work yet to do in order to ice a full roster next year, they will likely lose another decent piece, or roll with a pretty weak bottom of the lineup.

Nearly every key player on the roster will start the season 30+, it's highly likely that injuries play a big role in their season again. 1 of the key injuries that people lean on as an excuse for last year is Pacioretty, who they just gave away for free.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I do not like a lot of stuff Vegas has done, but an awful lot of people are roasting an organization that has missed the playoffs one time (with a huge amount of injuries) and even this year, if the goalies play decently, will be in it for a playoff spot as well.
Again, I do t like some of what’s happened, but getting greedy to try to win costs, and in this day and age, cap space has so much value, some of these moves work. I’m shocked no team would want patches for a puck or two, but, Vegas obviously needed to unload a big salary.

In a couple years though, can they pull a rabbit out of their hat and rebuild reasonably? That’ll be interesting to watch

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
If I asked last week on this board what it took to trade us Pacioretty, I would of gotten all these ridiculous proposals.....

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I disagree, but we will see how it plays out. They've lost Fluery, Patches, Tuch, and really only added Eichel (who I admittedly think is grossly over rated for the $ he is paid).

Their biggest downfall is in goal. Lehner isn't good enough for what he is paid, and they need a backup to play 30+ games. They don't have the $ for a 1B. Lehner hasn't played much more than 1/2 a teams games in 6 years.

Keep in mind they have a lot of work yet to do in order to ice a full roster next year, they will likely lose another decent piece, or roll with a pretty weak bottom of the lineup.

Nearly every key player on the roster will start the season 30+, it's highly likely that injuries play a big role in their season again. 1 of the key injuries that people lean on as an excuse for last year is Pacioretty, who they just gave away for free.
Fleury hasn't been that good since his Vezina season, and Logan Thompson played well last year. They also have an improved Stephenson and Nic Roy since a couple years ago.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Fleury hasn't been that good since his Vezina season, and Logan Thompson played well last year. They also have an improved Stephenson and Nic Roy since a couple years ago.
Fleury was their starter in 2020 during the playoffs when they made the WCF.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It's about assest management. Terrible by Vegas.
I don't disagree there. Just think that up until this trade, the Patch saga was at worst a neutral - positive value trade considering what Suzuki's value was at the time of the trade.
It is this abomination I don't understand

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Yeah they will, at the end of the day it's still Vegas and young wealthy guys absolutely want to live and work there.
The VGK reportedly treat the players very well while they are here. Despite the rantings of fans (which are pretty much always wrong), it would be interesting to know what number of players have actually put the VGK on their no-move list. Otherwise, it is professional sports team made of players who are being paid to do their job, not an emotional support group for young millionaires.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad