Confirmed Trade: [CAR/VGK] Max Pacioretty and Dylan Coghlan for future considerations

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Vegas has probably the most inept management in the league. And that says a lot with Ken Holland still managing teams.
Holland has done a solid job so far. Well some misses, likealways pissing away 2nd and 3rd rounders for rentals. But far from Mike McStupidattrades.

Now he has on his CV traded away Forsberg, Suzuki, and best of all - traded away the one he got for Suzuki for notjing MaxPac. Holy. Mike must be next GM fired. For sure.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Hurricanes give up a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder to sign the world's ugliest 4th liner to an offer sheet, pay him 6 millions to be useless for a year and then sign him to a laughable 8 x $4.8M contract : lolz geniuss moVes koktanemmis so GOOD becauze so yong!!1!

A year later, same team gives up a bag of nothing and gets a ppg power forward who plays a versatile game, earns an honest $7M and will be playing his contract year: meh don't like it, maxpax is no GUD beczauze so OLD!!!

This is HF in a nutshell.

Elite levels of copium on full display with this comment

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Hurricanes give up a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder to sign the world's ugliest 4th liner to an offer sheet, pay him 6 millions to be useless for a year and then sign him to a laughable 8 x $4.8M contract : lolz geniuss moVes koktanemmis so GOOD becauze so yong!!1!

A year later, same team gives up a bag of nothing and gets a ppg power forward who plays a versatile game, earns an honest $7M and will be playing his contract year: meh don't like it, maxpax is no GUD beczauze so OLD!!!

Kotkaniemi is going to be playing 2C between to two of Pacioretty, Svechnikov, Teravainen and Jarvis. I think he will be doing just fine.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Pacioretty is a complementary player. What's the point of having a Pacioretty, if you don't have someone who can consistently dish the puck?
Pacioretty is a great shooter but he's not a good puck handler.

The Kotkaniemi, that we know, looks good for 1 or 2 games then he's invisible for the next 7 or 8. Can he fix his consistency issues? Can he fix his slow release? What about his skating ability? Can he improve it enough to be a force?
We have Teravainen who has often been on the 2nd line when not on the 1st. Just him alone is enough comfort if one wants a good passer/good puck handler since he excels at those. In fact, Canes fans on our board were already talking about having Pacioretty and Teravainen on the same line yesterday because they compliment each other well.

It's just funny to me a Habs fan brings up Kotkaniemi in a topic about a trade that has nothing to do with him, and it's a steal of a trade in favor of Carolina no less. Koko looks to be our only "gamble" and I'd say that's good compared to quite a few teams burdened with multiple overvalued contracts/long contracts, etc.

Worse case scenario if Koko doesn't do well (even though he'll have even better linemates than his 1st year with us since he won't be on the 4th line and has a better idea of the system Rod plays), we could make a trade at the deadline to get a 2c or at least another top 6 forward. Our moves at the TDL will also depend on the rest of our moves during the offseason. If we keep Gardiner and it turns out he has a rebound season from his injury, he'd be a good trade asset not only to dump 4 million, but quality wise to get a good player in return with presumably other piece(s) heading out like a prospect and or draft pick, maybe Necas, etc.

I think it makes sense to give Koko the 2c line since we did extend his contract, and while it is certainly cheaper than his previous one, it'd be nice to get more bang for the buck with him taking on more ice time/responsibilities assuming he does okay as a Trocheck replacement for us instead of him being stuck on the 4th line.

Kotkaniemi is going to be playing 2C between to two of Pacioretty, Svechnikov, Teravainen and Jarvis. I think he will be doing just fine.
Agreed.

Last edited:

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
Try to keep up. This has nothing to do with the Habs.

I'm just pointing out there is a major bias in favor of younger players and veterans tend to be underappreciated in this community.
Your comment was just you crapping all over a guy who’s a very good bottom 6 player simply for leaving your team for a real contender.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The fact that Kotkaniemi was #6 on the Canes in 5v5 goal scoring in hundreds fewer minutes despite having "precious little of Trocheck's gifts" is actually another reason Carolina needed to make this move for Pacioretty.

This team didn't have enough snipers who could beat a goalie clean when the offense isn't going well. Svech can when he's on, Teravainen can when he chooses to shoot, Kotkaniemi has a good shot if he gets time to get it off.

Back to the point: Carolina needed someone like Pacioretty.
Trocheck could do it too, Koko technically can but can’t get the shot off in time which makes him as useful a shooter as TT.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Pacioretty is a complementary player. What's the point of having a Pacioretty, if you don't have someone who can consistently dish the puck?
Pacioretty is a great shooter but he's not a good puck handler.
Remember when Alex Galchenyuk had a 30-goal season? Remember who was passing the puck to Galchenyuk????

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Your comment was just you crapping all over a guy who’s a very good bottom 6 player simply for leaving your team for a real contender.
No, my comment was me not agreeing with the negative comments regarding the Pacioretty's acquisition.

I absolutely do not care that Kotkaniemi signed an offer. I was glad that my team got a compensation. The rest of your post makes no sense so I don't know what else to say.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Future considerations are usually of very little value. But that doesn't mean that they have to be of very little value. I wouldn't be shocked if the Canes end up sending something back to Vegas that's better than the typical future consideration resolution. E.g., maybe they're waiting to see how the Bear arbitration goes, or biding some time to see how Gardiner is after coming back from surgery before making roster decisions that would effect what they send to Vegas.

Maybe not, but I'm not ruling it out at this point.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Canes making some solid moves this offseason, just like they did last year by signing Andersen and Raanta.

Canes lack of goal scoring prowess was an issue in the playoffs once again, and they made some good gambles on some offensive talent this offseason. The health of Patches and Andersen will be paramount, but, overall it looks like the Canes will be a top 5 team next year. I'm very interested to see how Burns also fits in.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

I'm just pointing out there is a major bias in favor of younger players and veterans tend to be underappreciated in this community.
Been like this forever. Next years 1st rounder is always better than a 2D or a 2C. A prospect is also more valuable than an established 60p winger. Welcome to HFboards!

Brownies

Do you believe they really scanned the market long enough and no one showed much interest or they decided quickly they had to make space for free agency, resign player etc during the summer and just did a quick auction and no one offered anything.

Brownies

Been like this forever. Next years 1st rounder is always better than a 2D or a 2C. A prospect is also more valuable than an established 60p winger. Welcome to HFboards!
Yeah, saw many people laughing at the Islanders getting Romanov for the 13th pick overall, but what are the odds that pick is better than him ? Must be quite low. I always thought it would be a good strategy for teams to make a few of those trades here and there, to fix holes with well scouted young players.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

No matter how Kokomiai be lookin he got them big $$ and he gonna get zem womens.

Kokomiami be like...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Which is why these boards can be so far off value for certain players, in particular older players who won't be around by the time their teams contend.

Fans here want moves that lead to Cups, nothing else. So moves for a coach or GM to keep his job by being competitive just aren't understood. NHL teams have one priority: being profitable. This is done by being competitive and offering an attractive product. Winning championships, as such, isn't a business priority. Even less if it means accepting many bad years (ie, not making money) for long stretches.

You're looking at the finger, not where it's pointing...

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad