Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Ok last 3 offer sheet was for established NHL players.

Ryan Oreilly
Shea Weber
Sebastian Aho

all these players were at the time young superstars.

kotkaniemi has not produced anything close. 34 points is the lowest productivity in the history of any offer sheet
Oreilly was absolutely not a young super star at the time.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Can Canadiens also trade him away right now? I don't think Hurricanes have such option, but do Canadiens? I know that after this "matching time" is over he can't be traded, but does it extend to this very moment also?
No.

CBA 10.3 (a) said:
Once an Offer Sheet for a Restricted Free Agent has been received by the Prior Club, the Prior Club may not Trade or otherwise Assign its Right of First Refusal for such Restricted Free Agent.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
believe MTL could trade him right now

the team trading for him would be under the same constraints tho. not sure how likely that would be now that this OS is out there

Yeah, just thinking that this is pretty strong argument that it is still Canadiens player if Canadiens can trade him away.

The likelihood doesn't really matter in this context.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I agree, my one disagreement is this:

A "Contending" team does that at the deadline to address it's greatest need, and quite often going into the playoffs... that's adding a defender (though a C never hurts).

Aho
Trochek
Staal

seems like a decent C corps for a playoff run.

Skjei-DeAngelo
Cole-Bear

does not seem like a good 2nd and 3rd pairing for a playoff run. Would the $6m and the 1st and 3rd be better used at the deadline to add to that group as opposed to spending it now on a luxury that was more about hurting the other guy rather than helping yourself?

Boom. Great post. The opportunity cost of sticking it to Montreal is you can't upgrade elsewhere...like the crappy goaltending problem...yikes.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I think MTL have enough picks, young prospects to make a deal with Buffalo.
Buf will not trade Eichel for 2 1st and young prospects… if you are not ready to let go of at least 1 young nhl player Caufield or Suzuki you are dreaming.
Plus got to factor in cap. You cant take 10 mil and Buf wont go for Drouin/Toffoli

Think 2 firsts, Caufield, Guhle. Habs cant do it.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Buffalo isn't going to take a pupu platter of mediocre picks and prospects no matter how high you pile em up. You need an enticing center piece.
I agree Eichel is not going to Montreal, he wants play in the States, he wants to win a cup and thats not going to happen in Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad