Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Right now Jesperi Kotkaniemi ain't worth a 1st and a 3rd round pick and he sure as hell isn't worth $6.1M. All those fans laughing at Montreal because they think Carolina screwed them... well the jokes on them because Carolina screwed themselves. As usual Waddell proves himself to be a huge doofus.
Bergevin is going to take the 1st and 3rd and leave Waddell holding the bag and Bergevin will be laughing doubly hard next draft when he gets to use those picks and Carolina is sitting on their hands with nothing to do.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, next year Waddell will have to give KK a qualifying offer of $6.7M or he becomes a UFA (correct me if I'm wrong).

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Listen I like the move for you guys since I think Carolina is a better team than Montreal even with KK playing 3rd line at 6 million. I'm just saying the money is a headscratcher when you look at the other moves they've made. Carolina also secures a long term asset if they do get him and I'm pretty sure most people would agree that KK has more chances of panning out in Carolina than in Montreal with the type of offensive support he might have
But the money like the 6 million for a 1st is an opportunity cost.. Think of it as 3 million to pay the guy playing for you and 3 million to get him a Signing bonus if you will.
If Carolina signed him to a contract you all would deem fair Why would KK have signed? Seriously guys... it's a fee to the player to get him to leave his current team.. It is also something that Pressures Montreal.
Can it blow up sure.. but it's not like a multi year deal that blows up the pain is short

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I don't believe for a second that this was the idea of Dundon. Did Waddell call him to inform him of this idea and get the ok? Sure. But I'm pretty confident that because they were trying to acquire Kotkaniemi via trade it wasn't just something Dundon told Waddell to do.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
so IF we were in a foxhole back to back and the enemy yells out " WE WILL PAY THE FIRST MAN THAT SHOOTS THE OTHER" I have a big problem with you

What in the actual f*** are you talking about?

This isn't a war, dude. Jesperi Kotkaniemi was not going to get 6M from Montreal right now. It simply wasn't going to happen because he's not done enough to justify that kind of contract. So, he signed this to get probably a minimum of 2M more for this year and then the ability to either choose where he wants to go next year (if Carolina doesn't tender a 6.1M offer) or he's guaranteed at least 6.1M on his next deal.

Kotkaniemi would have been an idiot to not accept this offer sheet.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Right now Jesperi Kotkaniemi ain't worth a 1st and a 3rd round pick and he sure as hell isn't worth $6.1M. All those fans laughing at Montreal because they think Carolina screwed them... well the jokes on them because Carolina screwed themselves. As usual Waddell proves himself to be a huge doofus.
Bergevin is going to take the 1st and 3rd and leave Waddell holding the bag and Bergevin will be laughing doubly hard next draft when he gets to use those picks and Carolina is sitting on their hands with nothing to do.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, next year Waddell will have to give KK a qualifying offer of $6.7M or he becomes a UFA (correct me if I'm wrong).

I’m pretty sure the canes will be fine next draft considering how many picks they’ve been making recently. Also, they can always sign KK for less than his QO.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
MTL reached that pick because of a big need at Center position at that time. He should have been draft at 7-10 range.
sounds like it, but, if ya needed a center and he was the best one there why not take him? and we're still talking about a top 10 pick. it's not like he woulda lasted till 20+

and , as silly as it sounds since he's only 21, it takes time to get traction in the league. Laf and Kakko aren't killing it either, and I don't think they're busts

Reactions: Tryamw

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

They could just negotiate an extension I am sure the player appreciates the move and going to a team with other Finns.

They got a pretty nice 21 year old player/prospect with good upside those picks won’t be any good.

I like Carolinas moves this off-season other than what they did in goal.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That is a very old argument for players that never reach their potential.

I wonder when its the player himself that doesn't have what it takes to make the next step???

Nope, it’s just poor management to be brutally honest.

You think Aho becomes a good NHLer if he is rushed to the NHL at 18? That one year he got in Europe was huge for his development.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Same risk any "Contending" team takes when they trade for a rental.. Sorry I don't find that to be all that high a risk. Unless the team implodes and if you think KK is the reason we implode well I just can't beleive you. He may not be able to stop it from happening but that's not the same as the cause.
Raanta and Anderson going down for the season as well as Aho Slavin and Staal would be all more likely to be the cause..
I agree, my one disagreement is this:

A "Contending" team does that at the deadline to address it's greatest need, and quite often going into the playoffs... that's adding a defender (though a C never hurts).

Aho
Trochek
Staal

seems like a decent C corps for a playoff run.

Skjei-DeAngelo
Cole-Bear

does not seem like a good 2nd and 3rd pairing for a playoff run. Would the $6m and the 1st and 3rd be better used at the deadline to add to that group as opposed to spending it now on a luxury that was more about hurting the other guy rather than helping yourself?

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Same risk any "Contending" team takes when they trade for a rental.. Sorry I don't find that to be all that high a risk. Unless the team implodes and if you think KK is the reason we implode well I just can't beleive you. He may not be able to stop it from happening but that's not the same as the cause.
Raanta and Anderson going down for the season as well as Aho Slavin and Staal would be all more likely to be the cause..
see Blues, STL last season.. ugh...

Reactions: Tryamw

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
does not seem like a good 2nd and 3rd pairing for a playoff run. Would the $6m and the 1st and 3rd be better used at the deadline to add to that group as opposed to spending it now on a luxury that was more about hurting the other guy rather than helping yourself?

I wonder what Trochek could return at the deadline if negotiations sour. It gives us flexibility.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
It’s a lose-lose for the habs.

Don’t match and you lose one of your best young players.

Match and you’re overpaying for a player that hasn’t reached his potential.
I doubt that.
KK is struggling to take the next step, and the odds are against him based on so many other high 1st rounders never being able to reach their potential.
MTL will take the picks for KK, which is a fair offer.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Ok last 3 offer sheet was for established NHL players.

Ryan Oreilly
Shea Weber
Sebastian Aho

all these players were at the time young superstars.

kotkaniemi has not produced anything close. 34 points is the lowest productivity in the history of any offer sheet

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Doesn’t matter to the Canes if KK signs or not or Habs match or not……the act itself is the value and damn right GMs care that someone will poach their young players especially small market teams who depend on draft & develop
Well if they want to go back and forth with one of the teams with the deepest pockets I can’t imagine a way where it ends well for Carolina.

Aug 3, 2021
Bergevin risked pissing off Carolina so that he could offer Aho... a relatively cheap contract? :laugh: That’s the most entertaining part of all of this.

Either way, it came back around.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I agree, my one disagreement is this:

A "Contending" team does that at the deadline to address it's greatest need, and quite often going into the playoffs... that's adding a defender (though a C never hurts).

Aho
Trochek
Staal

seems like a decent C corps for a playoff run.

Skjei-DeAngelo
Cole-Bear

I would have to believe this is a move made with eyes set down the line, ie, a year or 2 from now

and yes, the move mighta been better aimed at improving the D unless they think Bear is gonna step it up and D'Angelo doesn't blow up

Cole is who he is. A VERY steady dman, a vet and fairly physical. he won't kill your 2nd pairing and he might be a good steadying partner for Bear to grow with

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Nope, it’s just poor management to be brutally honest.

You think Aho becomes a good NHLer if he is rushed to the NHL at 18? That one year he got in Europe was huge for his development.
I don't buy that argument, sure you fail as a 18 year old but you have many years to improve after.
I mean this happens to 16 years old in junior ever year, they fail, they crash and burn, but the good ones get back up and keep trying and when they hit 18 and get drafted no one is talking about all the troubles he had at 16 or that he was rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad